• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    Picked up a bottle of ELMER T LEE bourbon ($35) and a bottle of ANGELS ENVY RYE whiskey ($85) tonight on my way home from the fencing club.

Also got a sample of INDIANA WHISKEY from South Bend. Its aged 6 months. Lots of burn on the back end. No clue on the price of that one. He didn't have it in stock/for sale. It was an advance sample bottle. Honestly I'm not looking to buy it. Tasted young. And very hot.

I have had a hard time trying to find the Elmer T Lee around me. I have a couple buddies who have seemed to like it quite a bit, but I have never spied a bottle on a shelf anywhere.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Breckenridge Bourbon Whisky Special Release at Costco $35.99. Anyone have a review? 86 proof 750ml
    It has a tag with Bourbon of the Year on it as several awards listed. Grabbed one.

I've had it. I like it. That price is about average.

Well, the rye got me. I'm not a rye guy and was not ready for that. It is nowhere on the bottle, but it's there.

Now, that being said, for a newer (as I was told and have not preformed my Google-fu skills) craft distillery it's pretty good. It is light and smooth. Very tiny heat on the sides of the tongue. It does taste young. The finish is a little disappointing...almost absent. Would I buy it again? Yes. That $35 price would be the deal breaker line for me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well, the rye got me. I'm not a rye guy and was not ready for that. It is nowhere on the bottle, but it's there.

Now, that being said, for a newer (as I was told and have not preformed my Google-fu skills) craft distillery it's pretty good. It is light and smooth. Very tiny heat on the sides of the tongue. It does taste young. The finish is a little disappointing...almost absent. Would I buy it again? Yes. That $35 price would be the deal breaker line for me.
    Stay away from the Angels Envy Rye Aged in Caribbean Rum Casks!

It has some pretty spicy tones to it and if you are not a rye guy then the A.E. Rye is going to really set your taste buds abuzz with the spicy overtones.

Its one of the spiciest ryes I've ever tried.

That said, its good stuff, I will go back for more. But tamed with a single ice cube or just a little bit of water makes it a much more congenial adult beverage.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Cracked open the bottle of Elmer T Lee.

Worth every bit of $35 but its got a bit more spice than I'd prefer. But by the time you get to the bottom of the glass you won't be too worried about the spice and you will just be enjoying the flavor.

Flavor is very nice, sweet up front, spice in the back and when going down, a little burn in the belly but it's not too hot and it doesn't linger too long. The nose is a nice caramel aroma and the finish is fairly long and pleasant.

If you can find it, buy it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Clearly I'm not the best Saber fencing coach but apparently I'm the best loved coach around. One of my fencers presented me with a gift of whisky stones tonight that she picked up on her summer vacation. The note with the gift was great, alluding to the fact that the students are the reason I drink bourbon :): Thank you Lexi. The whiskey stones are not cold yet so I had to use ice, but tonights cocktail is a Boulevardier with Yellowstone Bourbon as its foundation.

The Boulevardier is a variant cocktail of the Negrini. A classic Negrini cocktail is Campari, red/sweet Vermouth + Gin. Substitute Bourbon for Gin and you have a Boulevardier cocktail. Its sort of a sour cocktail. I actually prefer a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned to a Boulevardier but figured I'd change it up tonight.

Yellowstone Bourbon comes in 2 different varieties. The very expensive (over $100) limited edition 107 proof and the $39.00 93 poor mass market variety. The limited edition is amazing if you like high rye bourbons. I didn't think I'd like it. But the lower proof $39 variety is also pretty darn tasty and, while not common, is also not rare. If you find it in a store near you I'd suggest you buy it. I really have come to like it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Columbus Day sale + free shipping on an order over $150 with code: OCEANBLUE
    https://www.caskers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bourbon#spirits-tab
    I'm down in North Carolina for hurricane Matthew parties (aka, parents weekend at college) and the hard liquor in this state is all controlled/distributed/sold at state owned ABC stores. The bourbon selection in the whole state is very limited. Feel sorry for these folks. I presume that places like CASKERS will ship to NC. The only other option for these folks is driving out of state.

We came into town early for a Ronald McDonald House fundraiser/silent auction. We donated a gift basket. 1 bottle of $30 W.L.Weller Special Reserve and an $18 bottle (from the discontinued shelf at Binny's) 375ml (half size) bottle of DRY FLY Washington Straight Bourbon. Added 10 assorted cigars.

Basket sold for $160 because people were excited about the "rare" bourbon!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A couple of updates on some new flavors.

I did try the Jefferson's Reserve and it is an excellent bourbon, but I think I prefer the regular Jefferson's. The Reserve for me has a stronger flavor with some added complexity, which is very good. But, I think the pure smoothness and mellow flavoring of the regular Jefferson's is what appeals to me the most. Note, both bottles will be emptied at some point.

On another note I decided to try a rye whiskey. I picked up the Small Batch Bulleit 95 Rye Whiskey. I think I like this one very much. It is not harsh and has a good flavor that is quite strong, but doesn't burn. Everything I had heard about rye whiskeys was a harsher, stronger, less palatable flavoring. While this one has a strong flavor I didn't find that it put me off or was overly cutting. It made a very fine sipping whiskey.

Regards,

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

On another note I decided to try a rye whiskey. I picked up the Small Batch Bulleit 95 Rye Whiskey. I think I like this one very much. It is not harsh and has a good flavor that is quite strong, but doesn't burn. Everything I had heard about rye whiskeys was a harsher, stronger, less palatable flavoring. While this one has a strong flavor I didn't find that it put me off or was overly cutting. It made a very fine sipping whiskey.

Regards,

Doug

If you get a chance, try some Wild Turkey FORGIVEN. It is a blend of Rye Whiskey & Bourbon. Good stuff it is :)

I picked up a bottle of barrel proof Angels Envy Rye finished in Caribbean Rum Casks. Powerful flavors and high proof. But its darn good. The kind you keep going back to for more. Drank it straight ... slowly. Twice or 3 times. Next time I'll drop in a single ice cube and see what happens.

Also got a bottle of RUSSEL'S RESERVE RYE, the "Single Barrel" variety with the green label & white lettering, a bit harder to find than their "6 Year Old" variety that has the light label and green lettering. At 104 proof it is not 'barrel proof' but its pretty close. I got a strong flavor of black licorice on the front of every sip. Tame it down with a few drops of water.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    If you can find it, try out W.H. Harrison Bourbon. It's made in Indiana and it is GOOD. Especially their Governors Reserve if you like something more spicy

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Picked up a bottle of limited edition Parker's Heritage 24yr Old Bourbon tonight. Every year they release something in very limited quantities. This year its a 24 year old bourbon. Looking forward to celebrating a special future moment with that bottle.

Top Bottom