• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I found afew of them. Stocked up.

Kentucky Owl Bourbon is on the shelves. MSRP is $350. I think that’s crazy. I passed on it but it’s out there. I’ve got a prior release, also got a bottle of their rye. Both are awesome. But why they raised their MSRP to $350 I will never know. I do know prior releases are over a grand a bottle now.

Looking for a Pappy 15 or any of the Antique Collection, not sure if Pappy is in Indiana yet. I’m only a buyer at MSRP, never at inflated prices and I don’t do that lottery stuff that some stores do.

Did pick up a Makers Mark 2019 Limited Release (RC6 at 108.2 proof) and opened it when I got home. Well worth the $74.95 retail. Easily drinkable straight, but most wheat based bourbons are easy to drink without watering them down.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Haven't posted in here in awhile. I've been on a bourbon hiatus, it started giving me hangovers :(

I did recently add something to the bourbon cabinet that I'm pretty excited about, can anyone guess?

gl4hvFoh.jpg

Congrats on the Pappy. I continue to fail being in the right place at the right time. It looks good in your cabinet.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Kentucky Owl Bourbon is on the shelves. MSRP is $350. I think that’s crazy. I passed on it but it’s out there. I’ve got a prior release, also got a bottle of their rye. Both are awesome. But why they raised their MSRP to $350 I will never know. I do know prior releases are over a grand a bottle now.

Your last sentence answered the "why" in the previous sentence. The price is $350 per bottle because people are willing to pay it for every bottle they produce.

I agree that it's crazy, but as a businessman, I'll also say they would be crazy not to raise the price.

mikecraig13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    Dearborn county
    Ok INGO I want to see if there is something out there I have skipped over in the bourbon category that I need to try. What's some of your favorites under $50? My top two in that price range are currently Woodford Reserve and Bulleit Bourbon.

Inwqd not a bourbon fan until i was given a glass basil hayden. This is still today one of my top go to bourbons. And i agree, bulleit has become my 2nd go to.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Your last sentence answered the "why" in the previous sentence. The price is $350 per bottle because people are willing to pay it for every bottle they produce.

I agree that it's crazy, but as a businessman, I'll also say they would be crazy not to raise the price.

It really doesn’t matter what anyone is paying for it... the question is, is it good? The answer is Hell No. Once Stoli bought the brand a few years back, they ruined it... it’s not the same juice as it was (Anyone who knows bourbon knows it was sourced 4Roses). All the Owl bourbon released after batch 6 has been straight garbage. Rye batch 1 is good... the rest, over priced hyped crap.

People will pay for anything these days, esp “limited release” bourbon.

Total joke...

BTW I dont blame Stoli for this, I blame the dummies who keep buying it. I wouldn’t pay $75 for the bottle let alone $300. Classic!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Inwqd not a bourbon fan until i was given a glass basil hayden. This is still today one of my top go to bourbons. And i agree, bulleit has become my 2nd go to.

I would highly recommend looking at the following bottles:

Early Times Bonded
    Old Forester 1920
    Michters Sour Mash

Those are three go to every day drinking bottles that I always recommend picking up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It really doesn’t matter what anyone is paying for it... the question is, is it good? The answer is Hell No. Once Stoli bought the brand a few years back, they ruined it... it’s not the same juice as it was (Anyone who knows bourbon knows it was sourced 4Roses). All the Owl bourbon released after batch 6 has been straight garbage. Rye batch 1 is good... the rest, over priced hyped crap.

People will pay for anything these days, esp “limited release” bourbon.

Total joke...

BTW I dont blame Stoli for this, I blame the dummies who keep buying it. I wouldn’t pay $75 for the bottle let alone $300. Classic!
    The confiscated keeps being reduced at retail. Ive seen a bottle of the 10 year rye at 189 for a long time. Not selling.
    I haven't tried the bourbon. I agree its overpriced.
    Lots of bourbons are sourced anymore. MGP in southern indiana distills and barrels bourbon for sooooo many of the bottles on the shelf now that Its hard to keep track. But hey MGP makes some great juice.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    The confiscated keeps being reduced at retail. Ive seen a bottle of the 10 year rye at 189 for a long time. Not selling.
    I haven't tried the bourbon. I agree its overpriced.
    Lots of bourbons are sourced anymore. MGP in southern indiana distills and barrels bourbon for sooooo many of the bottles on the shelf now that Its hard to keep track. But hey MGP makes some great juice.

MGP produces some of the best bourbon and rye on the market.... and it’s not even close!

the single barrel MGP stuff is drying
    up and getting very hard to find unless you want to lay a premium price for it!

truth of the matter is most people have no idea what good bourbon is...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    MGP produces some of the best bourbon and rye on the market.... and it’s not even close!

the single barrel MGP stuff is drying
    up and getting very hard to find unless you want to lay a premium price for it!

truth of the matter is most people have no idea what good bourbon is...

They may not have any idea what good bourbon is, but the Japanese, Chinese, and India are buying it up at the same time there was a populatity explosion in the US.

Unbelieveable that stuff that was $20 or so and stacked in cases on the floor a few years ago is now allocated and rationed...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Guy at work walked into my office yesterday and said, I hear you like whiskey. Try this...

Akk3EpAl.jpg

Now I've had several people's homemade whiskey over the years and it's always been... Uh... Well... It's always been BAD.

But I smiled and said, thank you very much. Went home last night and had a sip of each. It didn't suck. Poured a little into a glass with a single ice cube. It was actually pretty good. I mean, I've paid for name brand whiskey the was much worse. #1 is a little hot for my taste but #2 is very smooth and easy to drink.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Picked up a bottle of Very Old Saint Nick 17yr bourbon. The bottles are only 375ml, so they are half-bottles. Only 2 barrels of this exist.

Also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve Chocolate Malt Rye from their master's collection annual release.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom