• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    The tornado in OK finally got my wife to realize that we do need to have some emergency supplies on hand. As I travel I see different brands of the hiker type of MRE. I also hear about them on the radio. After doing some price comparisons those advertised on the radio are a fraction of the cost of those found in the big chain stores. My question is if there is any difference in quality of the different types.
    Thanks
    Jim

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I personally like Thrive foods. They are not overly expensive and have many different types of food for people with different pallets.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I sell Thrive. Don't make a ton of money in it, but I have had the pleasure of educating many on food storage and helping them prepare, and I have built my food storage up with free and discounted food stuff. Have also bought my sun oven for half price and several water filters and alot of survival gear.

My website

Tresia Thompson - Online Store

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I visit my local surplus store about once a week and pick up a few MRE's at a time. I know freeze dried would be cheaper in the long run and lighter too. I've never used, bought or stored freeze dried. Is there a store in the South Bend area that sells it, anyone know of? I'd like to shop local if I can...

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i like Wise. they used to have 80 serving meal buckets that included breakfasts and entrees, but they're hard to find now. plenty of other (great) products they have tho.

amyh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Thought I would just share a few things to help you make your decision: There is definitely a difference! First thing to do is to know what questions you need to ask. Some companies out there may look like they have a better price, but when you look at the value you get for the money, there is a big difference so it pays to do some research when making this purchase.

When comparing, make sure to notice the serving sizes and the amount of calories per serving. Decide on the packaging you want and how you will store these? #10 cans? Mylar? Do you want to be able to make more meals from scratch? Or do you just want quickly prepared meals? Each has its place in a food storage plan, but what is your overall goal? Remember, since we don't know what will happen our cause us to use these preps, it is good to consider having to stay in your home as well as the possiblity of evacuation, and what is going to be the easiest to take with you?

Take a look at the various food sites and pull up the nutritional information. Compare like meals to like meals (example, everyone has a pasta alfredo or stroganoff) and take a look at the additives and artificial flavorings/ingredients. If these items are important for you to avoid, only a few will make this cut. If anyone has any dietary needs consider those as well. Next, when looking at the actual quantity to buy, look at what comes in that particular package.

Consider that the calories some companies state you get, come from sugary drinks and desserts in the package. Ensure that package has enough actual meals to last you the time you want to prepare for. Some companies will even custom a package for you. It can be overwhelming but knowing you will have this hopefully for a very long time, these are some questions to ask to make sure you have made the best choice.

Top Bottom