• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I 2nd the Maverick 88. I've had mine for 30 years and it's still a great budget shotgun that eats all kinds of 12 ga shells. Think mine is called the "riot" version; magazine tube as long as the barrel. You won't be disappointed at all...that is...if like Route 45 says...you can FIND one.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Not related but saw your user name and had to let you know im a kali user. Been using Linux since 1st version of redhat

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sort of a funny story. One of my college roommates was big in to early linux in the 90s, recompiling custom kernels seemed to be a daily occurrence and took hours. I was more of a linux wannabe (hack in the classic golf sense, not the technical hacker sense). Still a unix fan but mostly OSX these days... Always liked the user name so I kept it.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    What is budget to you?

I would consider myself more of a value shopper vs strictly budget. Always looking for a good deal (bang for the buck). I would rather get a great deal on a better quality more expensive item than a poor deal on a cheaper serviceable item. In this particular case I am not sure how much it would actually get used so I don't want to spend too much. However if the deal is good enough that it would be easy to sell for what I paid, that is a mitigating factor.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Yes, pretty much for pump shotguns. But you have to be sure that the model that you buy has different barrels available. I was in Shoot Point Blank the other day and they had some budget pump shotguns ($200ish) from makers that I've never heard of. Might be ok for a knockaround gun, but probably not compatible with other makes as far as swapping barrels, etc. It's best to stick with the major players like Mossberg or Remington. Far better aftermarket support for them.

I saw an H&R Pardner Pump for $220 at a local sporting goods store. I think it was a 20 gauge. Are they decent with interchangeable barrels and accessory support? or better to stick with Mossberg?

Does it matter much between 20g and 12g? My initial thoughts are that 20g will probably fit my needs, or is 12g just that much more versatile and can be loaded with lighter loads if needed?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I saw an H&R Pardner Pump for $220 at a local sporting goods store. I think it was a 20 gauge. Are they decent with interchangeable barrels and accessory support? or better to stick with Mossberg?

Does it matter much between 20g and 12g? My initial thoughts are that 20g will probably fit my needs, or is 12g just that much more versatile and can be loaded with lighter loads if needed?

I'm not really familiar with the H&R Pardner, but I think it's kind of a Chinese 870 clone. Don't know if the parts will swap or not, someone here might know. I'd pick a Mossberg over an H&R, even if the difference is $100 or so.

I'd stick with 12 gauge. I see no point in 20 gauge. You can find light 12 gauge loads, including reduced recoil buckshot and slugs.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Sort of a funny story. One of my college roommates was big in to early linux in the 90s, recompiling custom kernels seemed to be a daily occurrence and took hours. I was more of a linux wannabe (hack in the classic golf sense, not the technical hacker sense). Still a unix fan but mostly OSX these days... Always liked the user name so I kept it.
    Right on:) I still build my own kernels to this day.. ive even used LFS to make my own Frankenstein Linux

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    At the low end, I've always been fond of the Winchester Defender. Very fast cycling and reliable. I'd buy a used one with confidence and stake my life on it.

But, to me, nothing beats an old Remington 870 Wingmaster.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I would consider myself more of a value shopper vs strictly budget. Always looking for a good deal (bang for the buck). I would rather get a great deal on a better quality more expensive item than a poor deal on a cheaper serviceable item. In this particular case I am not sure how much it would actually get used so I don't want to spend too much. However if the deal is good enough that it would be easy to sell for what I paid, that is a mitigating factor.

The best deal on shotguns is a benelli m4. They seem to appreciate in value, but the entry cost is high.

Older 870 wingmasters can be found in the 475 range. They are a good investment as they will also gain value and are reliable for regular clay Pigeon duty. Clean bluing and shiny stocks sell fast

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    At the low end, I've always been fond of the Winchester Defender. Very fast cycling and reliable. I'd buy a used one with confidence and stake my life on it.

I had a Winchester 1300 Defender with a blonde stock. I regret selling it.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville

Are the barrels easy to swap and as readily available for the Winchester?

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    If you haven't, you may want to see how they fit you. Mossberg 500 and Winchester 1300 fit me better and shot great. You can get things modified but I chose to sell the 870s (owned 2, express and wingmaster). Plus I generally prefer the top safety on Mossbergs. It's great to have all these options. Get what you like and fits best imo.

Last edited:

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    If you haven't, you may want to see how they fit you. Mossberg 500 and Winchester 1300 fit me better and shot great. You can get things modified but I chose to sell the 870s (owned 2, express and wingmaster). Plus I generally prefer the top safety on Mossbergs. It's great to have all these options. Get what you like and fits best imo.

Without experience, is that generally something I would be able to tell in store, or would I need to shoot them?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Are the barrels easy to swap and as readily available for the Winchester?

It's been awhile. Barrels are available, but it is hit and miss on finding a barrel at a good price. 1200 barrels don't fit 1300's if I remember right. Do some research. I don't remember.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've had Rem 870's, Win 1300's, Mav 88's and Mossy 500',s. All good shotguns. But, hands down, I like the 500 the best and that is all I will probably ever have.

I never could warm up to the 870. I've had a really nice engraved Wingmaster and I've had the bottom of the line Express. Neither fit me or pointed naturally for me. I have friends who will own nothing but an 870. But I won't buy another one.

I liked the Winchester 1300 OK, but again never really warmed up to it and never found the level of aftermarket goodies that the Remington and Mossberg have. Maybe that has changed since then.

The Maverick 88 I had was every bit a Mossberg except that the safety is on the trigger guard (like the Winchester I believe) instead of the tang like the 500. If fit and pointed very well for me. Uses any barrel that a Mossberg 500 will (the 5 shot magazine is the standard size and uses most barrels while the extended 7 shot usually has the 20” barrel). The only reason that I never kept the Maverick is because I already had several Mossberg’s with the tang safety. Didn’t feel the need to keep different safety locations in my lineup.

I would encourage a trip to a gun shop, store or gun show and handle each of these brands/models. Pick the one that feels best in your hands and points the best for you. If it feels right and points naturally for you, that is the one you will be the best shot with.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    MSRP on the Mossberg 500 security/field combo is $493. MSRP on the Mossberg Maverick 88 combo is $266. The OP asked for a budget option.

The 500 is honestly not that much better than a Maverick 88. In fact, they are the same gun with only minor differences that don't affect usability or durability.

MSRP is a made up number.

Find a used Mossberg 500 for not much more than an 88.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

I agree on the Winchester, a good option too.

870 Wingmasters are nice, Express are hit or miss.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I would vote 870 Wingmaster but I love how it fits me, probably because I learned to fit it. It was the only shotgun I had for 30 years and used it to kill everything from deer to quail and everything in between.

I think there are similar level guns around that fit different people. I'd go out and shop around and find what feels right. In the quality department you'll get about the same thing with the 870, Winchester, Mossberg, etc.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Generally, the store should give you a pretty good idea. My son likes the 870 over the 500, opposite of me. No wrong answer imo.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    An all steel Remington 870 Wingmaster. Blued Steel and real Wood cannot be beat. There are option galore for this Shotgun. Peace. Out.

Top Bottom