• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Move if in the wrong place please, I wasnt sure exactly where to post this.

So I am getting close to being able to afford a whole new set of Tactical Clothing and I wanted to get the reviews of the guys here who live it more than I can, what the best bang for your buck TDU is in their opinion on the market.

Qualities I am looking for is:

Durability
    Versatility
    Capacity
    Flexibility
    Discreetness
    Comfortability

Ive been leaning to 5.1.1. but don't know if they are worth all the money I would have to shed for a single pair of TDU pants.

Scenario consideration would be a SHTF situation, whether a car breaks down or a stereotypical SHTF situation where I will be gearing up or walking long distances.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have had great luck the past 20 years with Columbia synthetic but all my stuff is older so the exact versions of what I have no longer exist. Same for some some fleece and some winter jackets that have removable liners.

I would say top end of what they offer, not light weight summer versions. I prefer convertible pants. Also windbreaker that has removable sleeves. I love Columbia long sleeve shirts for hunting and fishing.

The absolute toughest synthetic Tshirts I have ever owned are North Face. Heavier and hotter but tough as nails. Great in all seasons. The orhervday in low 50's I penthouse hunting with north face T and Columbia long sleeve over it. Even my hunting vest was an old Columbia.

Underarmour in general, I like their winter gear a lot. The hoodie is a great layer. Hot gear T's also make good cool weather base layer.

My Brother has had some great luck with some 511 pants and shirts, I just have a vest. Again tough stuff.

I need to replace some worn out gear and I will start with the above when I do. Overall I like synthetic just because you can dry it quickly in wind, Sun or even just with body heat.

Socks and foot gear is a thread by itself.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In general, I'm not a fan of synthetic pants and shirts for field work, with the exception of nomex long underwear. For "bugout" clothing, I'd prefer a pair of sturdy wool pants and a wool shirt. Synthetic underwear certainly passes perspiration through to outer layers, but it feels colder to me when I cool off after I stop moving. If wool is too expensive (and it IS both scarce and expensive) for your budget, any of the cotton/poly "tactical" outfits seem to hold up pretty well to abuse (they're designed for that). Personally, I like synthetic outerwear; I'd look for surplus military ECWCS outerwear and cover THAT with nondescript rainwear from one of the more reputable manufacturers like FrogTogs, Columbia, or North Face. For winter wear, if you can't find ECWCS or its equivalent, I've found that snow-boarding outfits work well as a final outer layer for many activities, and they tend to come in a variety of colors, including subdued colors.

If you're not familiar with the Army's Extreme Climate Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS), it's worth looking it up to see how the military layering system works. Where surplus isn't available, you can often derive a civilian equivalent when you see what each layer is designed to do.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I was able to get some US surplus wool shirts and pants about 20 yrs ago, as well as some heavy Swedish wool cargo pants. That stuff lasts forever- cost a bundle to replace it, I suppose, but definitely what I'd want if heading out into the wilderness for an extended period of time. And, lotsa quality socks!

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Thank you. Im army and have been issued almost a complete set of ecws gear minus the parka so ive got that covered. Im looking for durable and flexible non descript pants to wear in my daily grind so i can be ready at a moments notice

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I wear 5:11 tac light pro pants everyday, I just wait til they have a good sale on their website, or I have enough reward points at BassPro to grab a pair. Love em though, they hold up well at work, and are comfortable enough to do some pretty rugged hiking trails in. I've actually ran in them in cold weather.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't think you can beat a good pair of jeans. A layer of Under Armour, a good sweater and a decant coat with a hood. It is what I hunt and work in the Winter. Now if I am going to be out side all day and it is really cold I have Carhart coveralls. I hate getting cold. The older I get the more I hate it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    roach.jpg

I'd probably upgrade the boots, though.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't think you can beat a good pair of jeans. A layer of Under Armour, a good sweater and a decant coat with a hood. It is what I hunt and work in the Winter. Now if I am going to be out side all day and it is really cold I have Carhart coveralls. I hate getting cold. The older I get the more I hate it.

When I was in the Army at Ft. Lewis Washington in 1979, we helped the state out with Search & Rescue operations. During hunting season that year, we had 13 searches for lost hunters (found 11). The two things they all had in common: all were wearing blue jeans and all of them were suffering from hypothermia. While I'll grant that major advances have been made in wicking long underwear since then, I haven't worn denim-cotton pants since BDUs started coming out in solid colors in the 90s.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Some of the 5.1.1s have cotton don't they? That and blue jeans are both a bad idea for wearing if you might get wet.

A thin synthetic pant, even if it's a summer pant, can work well if you have a layering system. You never know what next week's weather is going to be.

REI or North Face hiking pants are a good option as well.

Top Bottom