• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Is this the best buy on an entry-level .223 bolt action rifle?

Savage 19228 AXIS XP 223 PACKAGE $311.00 SHIPS FREE

For a guy who'll probably shoot 20x a year - maybe...

This one is a bit more...and doesn't come with a scope. So it'll be another ~$150 on top of that to get into a barely adequate scope and decent rings. Marlin X7VH 223 4+1 26 SYN DLR $329.00 SHIPS FREE

Going up in price again just a step. Same $150 extra cost for glass/rings. Ruger 6914 American 5+1 223REM 18" Compact $342.00 SHIPS FREE

Thanks!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Might try to find a 10/110 instead of the Axis. While the Axis is ok, its bare bones and doesn't offer a lot of upgrades. The 10/110 comes with the accutrigger, and a lot of the scoped models use Nikons which isn't a bad scope, also a better market for upgrades/parts.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive got the savage axis II which does come with the accutrigger. Its a great shooter right out of the box and for under $400 you've got a complete entry level bolt action rifle. Great rifle and love mine

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Might try to find a 10/110 instead of the Axis. While the Axis is ok, its bare bones and doesn't offer a lot of upgrades. The 10/110 comes with the accutrigger, and a lot of the scoped models use Nikons which isn't a bad scope, also a better market for upgrades/parts.

Love my 10FP.. Mine didn't come as a scoped package, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Ruger American gets my vote, particularly since I know I would be replacing the glass. I believe the package scope used to be a low-end Bushnell, which may or may not maintain zero.

FWIW, I picked up my .308 compact from my LGS for $330 + tax not too long ago, so it may be worth shopping around a bit.

If you are willing to take a 22" barrel (like the Savage) you can probably find the Ruger for closer to $300.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have no experience with the Marlin, but I've heard second hand from a friend of a friend that he likes his.

I've shot a buddy's Axis in 7-08 and while it's bare bones, the trigger is pretty decent. He has a Nikon scope on it, not a package scope.

The Ruger American I shot was in .223 and I liked the trigger a lot. Didn't care for the bolt though.

Personally, I'd get an Axis II and put a Vortex Crossfire on it if I was on a budget. Like cwillour, I think you'll end up replacing the package scope anyway.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the input, folks.

The $311 pricing is FANTASTIC on the XP from Buds, however. IF I buy this, it'll be as a gift. And, like I said, he MAY only fire it 20 rds a year. Seriously. Aftermarket support doesn't mean much. The accutrigger would be something that I'd be interested in if it were me...but I don't think he'd care.

ETA: I'll definitely entertain links/leads to similar rifles in that price range!!! :)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Sorry, I read 20x a year as taking it out 20 times a year and shooting it, not pulling the trigger 20 times a year. In that case, go with the savage package.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd get a Marlin before I bought an Axis or anything else in the $250-$350 category. And that from a Savage nut.

Stepping up, I'd go for a Savage over a Ruger American or anything else in that category from $400-$600. I have handled the Rugers, and I'm not loving them... and I'm a big Ruger handgun fan.

Another rifle that would work is the Stevens, which is basically a non-accutrigger Savage.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If you get the axis, bear in mind they are cheapened up to fit that area of the market. They will still be the best bang for that buck though.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had a chance to handle a few of these rifles the other day at Gander Mountain.

Right now, they're having a sale on the T/C switch-barrel gun... $350!!!!!!!!!

And on the Ruger American. Same price, I believe.

The T/C is a heavy beast. The Ruger feels lighter but may just balance better.

The Savage I handled wasn't the el-cheapo I've linked above as it had an Accu-Trigger. But it did feel OK in hand. Regular price is $449 or somewhere in there. Think it was the Axis II XP. The one I handled did have the Weaver scope on it, so I think it's this rifle: Savage Axis II XP Centerfire Rifle Package-782457 - Gander Mountain

I also have an FFL friend of mine on the hunt for me. He doesn't charge me any mark-up or transfer fees. :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Don't forget about the Savage Hog Hunter series. they can be had for very reasonable money and come with accutrigger, heavier barrel and threaded. Plus has the nice model 11 action.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I recently went on the hunt for an "inexpensive-yet-decent" (my words, not yours) bolt action in .223 or .308. I just wanted a lightweight, longer range bolt action companion for an AR. I went with the Ruger American Compact. I was going to get the Redfield Revolution edition because they put a decent $250 scope on the American and MSRP at near $650+ which means $500-$575 retail...not too bad!
    but I ended up finding a deal on a NIB .223 w/out Redfield (I paid/traded him $200 cash + 180rds AE .223) and I'm going to find my own hunk o' glass. that'll be part of the fun...picking out my own optic(s). I like the trigger, the light weight, the overall quality Ruger fit and finish. someone above mentioned their dislike for the bolt but that's a shame because mine is like buttah. I already put a good sling on it, I don't know about a pod but def good optics and this thing'll be goin right to work...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I picked up a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter Monday and I love it, scope was way off out of the box but just gives me a reason to get to the range more often.

I even got to shoot a Kel Tec KSG someone had on Monday.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm finding it harder and harder to find something less expensive than the rifle from Bud's mentioned above. I tried to look for the same rifle on their page but without the scope. I don't think I was able to find it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Ruger American is too much of a shooter for this application. 20 rounds / year is squarely in Salvage's wheelhouse, as long as they are fired in fair weather.

Top Bottom