• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Hey Guys,

I have always depended on my Mossberg 500 loaded with 12ga slugs for home defense. The reason I chose 12ga slugs was because of their lethal wall/door penetrating power. Basically, as long as my wife was behind me, the whole house was within range. :D (Plus you can mix loads... slug, buck shot, slug, buck shot) Well, we now have a little guy in the bedroom across the hall and I'm thinking I need to adjust my caliber choice.

I obviously still need a lethal load, but something that will be more appropriate for a house with other people in it.
    Please keep in mind that I am not going to be blindly shooting around my house if we were faced with a situation that would warrant lethal force. I just figure that there has to be a better option out there.

What weapon/caliber/load do you think would be best for defending my family's home?..... and WHY would that work best?

THANKS! :popcorn:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Hey Guys,

I have always depended on my Mossberg 500 loaded with 12ga slugs for home defense. The reason I chose 12ga slugs was because of their lethal wall/door penetrating power. Basically, as long as my wife was behind me, the whole house was within range. :D (Plus you can mix loads... slug, buck shot, slug, buck shot) Well, we now have a little guy in the bedroom across the hall and I'm thinking I need to adjust my caliber choice.

I obviously still need a lethal load, but something that will be more appropriate for a house with other people in it.
    Please keep in mind that I am not going to be blindly shooting around my house if we were faced with a situation that would warrant lethal force. I just figure that there has to be a better option out there.

What weapon/caliber/load do you think would be best for defending my family's home?..... and WHY would that work best?

#4 Buckshot will do the trick. It will still penetrate, but nothing like a slug or 00 Buck.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey Guys,

Good info in this article about guns and over penetration.

The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I couldnt think of a good reason for owning a Taurus Judge before but this might be a good situation for one.

The .45LC/.410 would make an ideal gun for what you are wanting. You could load up a mixture of buckshot and lead just like you have now.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I can't believe that I forgot about the ol' BOX O' Truth! I love cruising through that site. I am really surprised that the #4 shot didn't expand over 3.5" after being shot from a choke-less barrel at 12'. Mine is a choke-less also and I just assumed that shot would expand too much to be useful for defense at a moderate distance. I'll definitely experiment with some different types of buck shot to see what they act like, but I think I was proven wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my whole question is a huge catch 22..... if you want stopping power for defense.... then it will go through a wall or two.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm not sure of the penetration on the Winchester Elites, but we have a Mossy 410 that is loaded up with them. They were designed for the Judge, but having seen how they work with a shotgun sold me on them.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I am comfortable with the judge in the home. I say familiarize yourself with this firearm it's load and pros and cons extensively not just single source.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If you were about overpenetration with theslugs, then just get a different load, another poster already mentioned #4 buckshot. I don't think you "need" to buy another firearm. However, if you want to buy one then why not? Anything that can fire multiple lethal shots quickly is effective for HD

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My first grab is an AR with 16" barrel, 20 round clip loaded with TAP 75gr BTOT, a laser sight and combat light. 20 rounds is better than 5 or 6 when you're peeing your pants and adrenalin pumping.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Any of the extreme expansion rounds would work as well. The cor-bon powerball as an example massive expansion and stopping power without over penetration. The are also a lot of custom shotti loads out there theses days featuring multiple combination of pellet sizes

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    My judge is loaded with 5 .410 shells! She is waiting in my drawer for some action. I have put about 100 LC through her about about 20 shells, and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Hey Guys,

I think a 105 howitzer would be appropriate. :D

Top Bottom