• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been doing a little research for my first can. I've got it narrowed down to a Tactical Inovations tac-65 or a Gemtech Outback II... I'll be going down to Beech Grove Firearms next week to start the paprework and everything...

Just wanted to know what's the BEST can can get for a p22?

Thanks in advance for all replies

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Buy whichever one is in stock.

Most .22 suppressors have great suppression, it will mostly boil down to a tone issue for the end user.

But again, buy what is in stock at your dealer, saves a good bit of time.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Many grassy-asses to yall. I made my way to Beech Grove Firearms ans talked with the owner Gary (real nice guy). We talked about em for awile, pro's and con's but I'm goin with the Outback II. You rarely have to clean it, tou can put thousands of rounds through it and if it ever gets messed up I can just send it back with $50 bucks and get it re-done.
    +1 for Beech Grove, the guys there are awsome. I stopped at Law Enforcement Firearms which is like 8 min from Beech Grove but they arent open mon-wed

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Many grassy-asses to yall. I made my way to Beech Grove Firearms ans talked with the owner Gary (real nice guy). We talked about em for awile, pro's and con's but I'm goin with the Outback II. You rarely have to clean it, tou can put thousands of rounds through it and if it ever gets messed up I can just send it back with $50 bucks and get it re-done.
    +1 for Beech Grove, the guys there are awsome. I stopped at Law Enforcement Firearms which is like 8 min from Beech Grove but they arent open mon-wed

I like my Tac65, but I wouldn't hesitate to choose an OBII. And now, the waiting begins... :D

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Actually Gary is Greg's (the owner) Dad, but you are right he is a real nice guy!!

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No, it isn't. They both have the same suppression, but the "tone" is slightly different. Here's a side-by-side comparison we did at NFA Day last year with P22's suppressed with a Gemtech OBII and a Tac65 (OBII in foreground, Tac65 in background):

YouTube - Dueling Suppressors

So... The Tac-65 is on the (mans) left?.. The tone for that one is a lot "quieter" then the outback it sounds like

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So... The Tac-65 is on the (mans) left?.. The tone for that one is a lot "quieter" then the outback it sounds like

The OBII is on the left (tan shorts), the Tac65 is on the right (denim shorts). The sound is hard to judge from the video, but in person they are equally quiet (and they are QUIET). At least, no one present could tell the difference between the two. Everyone generally agreed that one was a slightly higher pitch than the other, though.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The OBII was a higher pitch... that's what I thought. And i'd be running regular 40gr ball ammo through it, at least 80% of the time. Subsonic ammo is EXPENSIVE

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The OBII was a higher pitch... that's what I thought. And i'd be running regular 40gr ball ammo through it, at least 80% of the time. Subsonic ammo is EXPENSIVE

On a P22, you won't be able to tell the difference between standard velocity and subsonic. On a rifle, you absolutely will be able to tell the difference.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

It is 50% more than other bulk this week. I just picked up two bricks of subsonic each for $29 which is $10 more than the federal bricks at $19.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Right on. So... which one would be at the TOP of your list? OBII or Tac-65?

I like my Tac65 because you can take it apart to clean it. You can also send it in for cleaning and repair just like the OBII. However, as I said before, I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to pick the OBII. They're both excellent cans and you won't be disappointed with either one.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I have put a couple thousand rounds through the OBII on a P22. I also use it on a couple rifles. Has run great so far does not seem to be getting louder...at least so far.

As a company I would also give high complements to Gemtech. I have called them a couple times and emailed them a couple times. Every time they have taken their time to make sure my questions were fully answered and show they appreciated my business.

None of this is intended to discredit the Tac65 as i am not familiar enough with the product or company to provide an opinion.

All that being said have you considered Gemtech's latest .22Lr the Alpine? I keep seeing the experienced people recommend a .22Lr suppressor that can disassembled for cleaning. Can anyone else provide any first had reviews of the Alpine?

Gemtech Alpine

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Beech Grove has an Alpine! It looks pretty effin sweet. Runs about the same as a OBII (as in $). Its a little bit longer and heavier than the OBII. I didn't get too much info on it but I will next week.

Top Bottom