• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    There is no magic bullet. Well, unless you consider the one that killed JFK. Shot placement is the key. Buy a gun and quality ammo and practice til you consistently hit what you are aiming at. Just having the "best" gun and ammo out there isn't going to matter if you can't hit the target.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I agree with the popular answer, what you shoot best. Period.
    I just switched from a full size 45 to a subcompact 9mm.
    The 9 will offer me cheaper ammo, higher capacity, more accurate follow up shots. For me anyway.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I'll play. Many calibers are great as long as you know and respect each of their shortcomings, i.e. cost and availability, capacity, practical and concealable weapon platform, etc. I mean hey...can't go wrong with a 45 LC!! But, having said that, all around carry caliber...for me...9mm.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I am not being argumentative here, but I like to know the details of this? You saying the suspect took 18 shots of 38/9mm before staying down. 18 rounds (FMJ or JHP) is, collectively, a lot of wound cavities and, most likely, with significant damage to vital organs. In the single officer scenario; what caliber would have had the knockdown capacity and round count to stop the guy that wasn't already delivered by the first 12 rounds - which were assumedly fired in quick succession? If it was at room distance, should a taser been employed? I have first hand knowledge of a drugged assailant not stopped by a magazine of 9mm that dropped with a solid taser hit.

This was prior to officers being equipped with personal tasers.

According to the lead physician in the ER the suspect had a number of hits that should have been lethal, and his remark to our Night Chief was "this guy is dead, he just doesn't know it."

I'm not in a position to say what would have worked on this guy, only that .38 Special did not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I read somewhere that capacity is more important than caliber, so I moved to a 9mm and carry a Shield or G43.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Currently, I carry 9mm Federal HST 147 gr. +P backed up by .380 Hornady Custom 90 gr. XTP. I did alot of online research and these 2 loads consistently worked well in gel and through heavy cloth out of short barreled pistols. Then I shot a bunch of it through my EDC pistols to make sure they functioned well and I could hit well with them.
    That said, I feel pretty good with the loads I have chosen for my .357's, .40's, 10mm's, .45's & .44's too.
    There is no best caliber. All handgun bullets are under powered with the exceptions of the .44 Mag and up, but those generate so much recoil that a quick second shot is not a sure thing. Rent a bunch of guns in different calibers and carry the pistol & caliber combination you can make quick, consistent hits with and reserve the others for the range or the woods.
    Shoot the snot out of your chosen EDC and get training. Your no good to anybody in a self defense situation if you can't quickly hit a human sized target in the chest at 10 yards or less.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    in the past ive carried
    charter arms undercover in 38spl
    glock 27 in .40sw
    1911 in 45acp

all good guns, all with some drawbacks
    i prefer my 1911, it's whats most comfortable, and concealable to me.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    .50 BMG. Ain't no one going to mess with you when you're carrying a Barrett!
    Seriously though it's what you are most accurate and comfortable with.
    Dan

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I carried a Charter Off Duty .38 for years, never felt undergunned. Nowadays it's a Sig 238. Why? Because I've had .45s for years, but rarely carry them. The 238 I slip into a pocket holster and go. My thought is that it's better to have a gun I can comfortably carry when I need it, than to not have any.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Simple....a .45 ACP...

Why?

Because out of all of my defensive-caliber pistols, I shoot my Glock 36 the best! (That, and because I'm comfortable with and love a .45!)

For everyone else...and because everyone has to answer it themselves...to each their own!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    What do you think is the best carry caliber and why?
    The one you can shoot well and make sure hits with. It is true that some carry more muzzle energy than others, but I would not also want to stop a couple of well placed .380 Auto rounds either.

I guess you have to go with as much horsepower that you can safely and effectively handle. JMHO.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Why isn't anyone talking about the REAL problem?

Page 4, and nobody has even mentioned defense against bears

I was pretty sure I saw one this morning when I first got up. Turns out I need to pay those lovely little ladies down at Ngoy's to shave my chest and back again. ...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [video=youtube;1IfWXjRLCDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfWXjRLCDc[/video]

[video=youtube;TTXjgOan_KI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTXjgOan_KI[/video]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As others have mentioned, what's best depends ona number of variables. I am fairly confident that all of us IF we knew we were going to get into a gun fight would - A. Try to avoid it and B. Take a long gun. Handguns are all basically a compromise anyway. I don't know anyone who wants to get shot by any caliber. I believe any of the most common personal defense calibers are effective. I will carry - .380, .357, .40, .45 and 9mm depending on concealability. Again a lot has to do with shot placement. Last I would say target practice is great but it's even more important to get some live action training. Something that raises the heart rate, creates stress, makes use of cover/ concealment is needed.

Top Bottom