• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rmodglin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Get the octane 45k. Shorter overall for better compactness and it db's nearly the same at the shooters ear as the full length. I don't care what the guy standing 20ft to my 4 o'clock thinks

Was wondering if the db's were comparable for the shooter. Definitely sounds like the better choice. I like it being more compact too.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'll partially agree with this... :D

You can use the 22 end cap for 223.
    I got one of the first production releases. My manual says not to use the .22 end cap with 5.56mm/.223. The current manual says you can use the .22 end cap only in the short configuration and this is compatible with 5.56mm with a barrel 14.5" (or longer I assume).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I got the first production as well. I emailed them and asked if I could use the end cap on the medium set up and they said yes. It doesn't really make a difference though.

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I went with a Liberty Mystic X with updated core (2600 serial and up). It was the only can I could find that would suppress everything I own with one stamp (22lr up to 6.5CM, 300 black, 9mm) and would come apart for cleaning from rimfire shooting. Bonus is its light at 10oz, thin at 1.32" diameter, and I got mine for $650. It is pretty large for a rimfire pistol can, but since its light it works, and it works beautifully on my 22lr rifles.

I wouldn't worry too much about shooting small bullets through large can holes I am a mechanical engineer and work a lot with acoustics and by the time the bullet reaches the aperture at the end of the can 99% of the work in slowing down the gas and sound waves is done in a good design. My liberty is quieter than any dedicated rimfire suppressor I've used, its just much larger. It also worked better than a dedicated 5.56 can on my AR, again its just longer than necessary. If anything the larger than necessary hole just makes it less likely to have an accidental baffle strike on a barrel that is maybe just a few fraction of a degree not threaded straight.

If this is a combat rifle where the extra 2 or 3 inches in length, or full auto requirement, could affect your life in a realistic scenario then by all means get dedicated cans. If you are just using this to make your hunting/range/self defense toys quiet and more enjoyable to shoot then a multi cal can is a sweet (cheap) ticket.

Things to keep in mind for your uses:
    Cans hold a lot of pressure and heat in the gun, on a rifle intended for accuracy the increased heat and added muzzle weight will exaggerate your barrel heat POI shift. If you intend to shoot faster than once per minute at high accuracy for an extended period, a can is a tough sell. I have to take mine off to shoot highpower or my shots shift pretty drastically towards the end of the stages. The shift is consistent but its hard to judge when. If your using it for this maybe look at some of the high flow/ low backpressure cans like the 3D maxflow, super cool design!

For rimfire use I have noticed when shooting for high accuracy (benchrest match/LRP) I get a pretty good POI shift (up to 2" at 50 yards with a .3" grouping rifle) with the first round pop with the can on, and then accuracy is actually improved as long as I keep it running hot. The groups are slightly larger with the can off, but first round shots dont suffer the same POI pop issue and are much more consistent. I didn't notice this phenomenon with centerfire as I believe the bullet is getting out of the can ahead of the bulk of the gasses or is heavy enough it isn't affected as much but on the 22lr its pretty drastic.

It runs well on my CZ SP-01, it is a tad large with the booster and makes the outfit a hilariously large gun with the optic, light and extended mags. I have noted a consistent but significant POI shift, about 6 inches at 25 yards. Be aware this is fairly common on pistols with non-fixed barrels. But the factory suppressor height sights can still see over the can (and are waay off with the can). Expect a significantly slow return to sight picture, the recoil profile is bizarre and even on the blisteringly flat and quick sp01 the can rocks the boat a good bit.

With these considerations in mind, my can is mostly relegated to fun on the pistols or hunting use for rifles, at these roles it makes an amazing difference. It just affects accuracy too much for most competition on top of the added length and weight.

Note my father has the gemtech ONE also likes it, but its not for rimfires because of the cleaning issue.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom