• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Well Im interested in shooting service rifle matches and was wondering what the best sub $500 rifle would be for shooting matches with? I already have a Yugo M48(I havent put it on paper yet), and a 1930 hex mosin that shoots about 2 MOA at 50 yards with czech light ball.

Anyone have any suggestions besides the rifles above?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A 1903A3? But that would be pushing your $500 limit a little. You could definitely find a Swedish Mauser M96 or a Swiss K31 for well under 500 and they're both very accurate rifles.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do you mean your mosin shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, or do you mean it shoots 2moa?

Accuracy measured in MOA has nothing to do with range.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The legal Service rifles for NRA and CMP Leg matches are the M1 Garand, the M1A, and the AR15.

The 1903 is not a Service rifle. It is shot in the match rifle category.

Lots of new shooters start out with the Garand or a RRA Ar15 Service rifle. Neither is less than $500 though.

If you want to have fun and not get frustrated, choose the AR platform. JMO

Many clubs have loaner AR15 rifles for new shooters. Just ask for one when pre-registering for the match.

Or are you interested in shooting CMP Games Matches? Maybe we are having terminology differences?

Please explain what you mean by service rifle matches.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The legal Service rifles for NRA and CMP Leg matches are the M1 Garand, the M1A, and the AR15.

The 1903 is not a Service rifle. It is shot in the match rifle category.

Lots of new shooters start out with the Garand or a RRA Ar15 Service rifle. Neither is less than $500 though.

If you want to have fun and not get frustrated, choose the AR platform. JMO

Many clubs have loaner AR15 rifles for new shooters. Just ask for one when pre-registering for the match.

Or are you interested in shooting CMP Games Matches? Maybe we are having terminology differences?

Please explain what you mean by service rifle matches.

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood the OP. I was thinking in way more general terms I guess! (Like the informal matches that lmeyer holds up north occasionally)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood the OP. I was thinking in way more general terms I guess! (Like the informal matches that lmeyer holds up north occasionally)

I was also thinking in terms of 'used by a service' when I read it...that and the other rifles the OP owns.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Well Im interested in shooting service rifle matches and was wondering what the best sub $500 rifle would be for shooting matches with? I already have a Yugo M48(I havent put it on paper yet), and a 1930 hex mosin that shoots about 2 MOA at 50 yards with czech light ball.

Anyone have any suggestions besides the rifles above?

If you just want to have fun in matches - shoot the rifles that you already have with decent ammo like Privi (but not in CMP) and practice, practice, practice!

If you want to win informal matches try a Swiss K31 shooting GP11 ammo. Don't even have to reload for these when shooting matches or worry about corrosive ammo! $300-$350. IMHO the very best value in accurate Milsurp rifles.

Somehow I don't think you are talking about CMP matches since you wants to stay sub-500. Shooting CMP successfully will cost you a LOT! In any case the Swiss K31 is as accurate as a good Garand, but at a disadvantage in a CMP match because it is not semi-auto. It's like trying to shoot bullseye competitions wtih revolvers - not going to be competitive because the rules are slanted towards the semi-autos where sight aquisition for the next shot can be rapid.

My Swiss K31 is a deadly egg gun! With 10 shots I got 9 of 10 eggs placed on golf tees at 50 yards (tried something new at our final competition for the year last month)! Even managed to stand up and shoot the last one offhand! What can I say, we try to have fun - and we do exclude semi-autos so no Garands or ARs to compete with! 03As, Swiss K31s, Mausers, Mosins, 303 British, and the like are what we shoot and we require original barrels on true service rifles to avoid the high dollar ringers. We do allow sporters (usually Mosins) with original barrels, as we don't find them to have an advantage. We call it a Vintage Bolt Action Military Service Rifle Match (and allow the straight pulls).

Usually it takes a 50-2X to 50-4X from 5 shots into a SR1 target at 100 yards to win our competition each time. We shoot from benches because we have nice covered cement ones and we are lazy. You get 15 minutes to shoot your sighters + 5 shots into your target. We allow you to enter again and again (pay again and again) until you are happy with your group! A guy shot a 50-5X one time with handloads and a nothing special 03A (and over 50 years of experience).

One thing I have found is to never EVER try to shoot a competition using Kentucky windage of any kind! Doesn't work! Get the sights right first using the ammo you will be shooting. Milsurps typically need taller front sights at 100 yards for POA=POI. You can get the K31 sights (various taller sizes plus different widths) through Gussian at SwissRifles.com. My eyes like the wide front blades. There is EBay for Mosin tall posts, but you have to file them down as needed. Don't know of any source for Yugo, but probably someone has them.

And again, always remember to have fun!

Les

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like fun Les. And your matches sound like they are full of fun. I might just show up for one.

I'm thinking a FR-8 with stock sights is GTG?

It just proves there is always something for everybody.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I like fun Les. And your matches sound like they are full of fun. I might just show up for one.

I'm thinking a FR-8 with stock sights is GTG?

It just proves there is always something for everybody.

Although the FR8 is not in the list we use (wiki service rifles) I see no reason to exclude it! Plus would be great to actually see one. We start up again next May. Third Sat of each month at 12pm. $5/target. Anyone is welcome but bring an empty chamber idicator.

Les

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If you mean CMP Garand/Springfield/Vintage rifle matches, I'd echo the recommendation that the Swiss K-31 is going to be your best value for the money by far. You should be able to find one (way) under $500 easily. Get one of those, a shoebox of GP11 and a cardboard charger or two, and you'll be bringing home medals in no time. Then you can start saving up for a Garand and a Springfield 03A3.

If you mean actual "Service Rifle" matches, like NRA High Power & CMP EIC matches, a Rock River National Match AR-15 will probably cost you between $700-1000.

2turbos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2014
    Speedway
    An FR 8 with M-80 ball ammo is remarkably accurate. Same size and weight as a M-1 carbine with the punch of a M-14.
    I can imagine hunting wild boar at close rangein the wilds of Tennessee or Arkansas.

I was runner up in our local club's milsurp match with mine. I used Radway Green 7.62 Nato. The stock sights are very good and much like the HK they're modeled after.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    An FR 8 with M-80 ball ammo is remarkably accurate. Same size and weight as a M-1 carbine with the punch of a M-14.
    I can imagine hunting wild boar at close rangein the wilds of Tennessee or Arkansas.

I was runner up in our local club's milsurp match with mine. I used Radway Green 7.62 Nato. The stock sights are very good and much like the HK they're modeled after.

I do love my FR 8. I think it would make a great Indiana hunting rifle if they change the laws to allow (all) centerfire rifles. :)

Top Bottom