• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I was issued Speeder Gold Dots. But there are a lot of great bullets out there. Hitting your target is much more important the the bullets in the gun. That is my opinion at least.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I was issued Speeder Gold Dots. But there are a lot of great bullets out there. Hitting your target is much more important the the bullets in the gun. That is my opinion at least.
    Massad Ayoob disagrees/ His words are the gun is a tool but the bullet does the work and bullet placment and selection is most important.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I have a G22 and I have 2 mags loaded with 180gr Hornaday XTP. Shoot good groupings and have had no issues with that ammo. I would like to get some critical defense but I have yet to see a box on the shelf in any store near me.

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    Massad Ayoob disagrees/ His words are the gun is a tool but the bullet does the work and bullet placment and selection is most important.

You could have the magic bullet that killed Kennedy but if you can't hit your target it's worthless. You can argue about it all day long. A hollow point will do way more damage than a full metal jacket but you still have to hit what you are aiming at.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Get a few boxes and run a mag through to see how they function. I prefer Hornady Critical Defense for any caliber. Winchester PDX1 is good, too.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I think there are several good bullets it just depends on the gun and caliber.. These are my favorites Federal Hydra shoks are a classic, Federal HST are good, as well as Speer Gold Dots... Not saying that there aren't others , but these are my choices.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I feel that the .40 is an overall good defense cartridge. No not a magic bullet but any quality load marketed for self defense will compare well to many of the other calibers being carried. I went to the store and found those products that were well stocked and more affordable. I purchased a few boxes and shot them in the gun testing reliability. For me this happens to be Speer Gold Dot. As long as they are reliable and shoot well I would not hesitate to trust any of the hollow point loads from a reputable manufacturer.

alpha0486

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    New Palestine
    Appreciate the responses. I have to agree, if you cannot hit something your shooting at, the type of bullet does not matter. I will have to purchase some of the recommendations and try them out.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Winchester 40 S&W 180 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo Q4369

This stuff. And its the same stuff for the most part and same category as the pdx-1 but comes in 50 round boxes for 20 round pdx-1 price.

I found cases of this stuff for dirt cheap a year ago.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...and_w_180_grain_jhp_1000_rounds_171_49_a.html

Random JHP on the left. PDX1 in the middle. The Q4369 on the right.

topdown.jpg

03-07-10_0100.jpg

40 S&W Winchester Q4369 vs. PDX1 180 gr Bonded JHP - Glock Talk

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    From what I've seen the 180 grain Remington Golden Sabers expand really well and penetrate nicely. In the end though, as long as your weapon feeds the load reliably I'd say from there it's personal preference.

We can talk about penetration in ballistics gel, over-penetration, (huh-huh) bullet weight, velocity, expansion, and the like until the end of time. However, I doubt many people have lined up several different brands of ammo and shot a human being in the torso to see how the expand, penetrate, and how quickly they die. Since we can't do that, a comparison on a hunted animal might be close, but most people don' hunt with their CCW, I'd guess, and a deer is not a human being.

In the end, we basically make choices based on what WE think is important and what WE think is right with very little to no actual evidence based practices. Some will say you need at least 12" of penetration in ballistics gel, some say over 16" is too much. I tend to go slow and heavy. The larger rounds tend to not penetrate as much and expand more. To me, that sounds good. I don't want to be liable for a through-and-through that may strike something or someone else and a bigger hole doesn't seem all that bad either. However, plenty of people go the opposite route (esp. in 9mm) opting for 115 gr or 124 +P.

IMO, shot placement will be a HELL of a lot more important that your cartridge. I feel performance from the cartridge will have a minimal effect and shot placement will be huge.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Hornady makes a fine bullet, but for defense use, I stick with Federal (ATK), Winchester, or Ramington bullets, leaving the XTP and its evolutions to hunting and .380 use. XTPs in my experience do not open up as well as the others, wich isnt all bad when hunting, and looking for through and through shots, but for self defense, I want the most violent expansion I can get with 10-14" penetration.

Top Bottom