• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    First off I'm sorry if there is a better place to post this question. If so I'm sure some one will be kind enough to tell me :)

I'm looking at degree's that could lead to a career with a gun manufacturer. I'm thinking something with sales and marketing or engineering design. What I'm typing this post for is to see what interesting ideas you all might have. A unique degree, specific jobs etc. What ever comes to mind. I know it will get off topic but thanks to all who reply with helpful thoughts. :ingo:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    One thing you want to keep in mind is that a gun manufacturer is basically a machine shop. Learning to operate the tools in a machine shop does not require a college degree. I wonder if maybe a paper from an accredited gunsmith school might be helpful. A lot of the work in a gun manufacturer is production work with a few highly skilled people doing the close tolerance work and setting up the CNC machines. I think.

I would think that maybe a degree in mechanical engineering might help in engineering design. Maybe not.

Marketing degrees are available at many colleges.

Maybe you should contact the HR department at a gun manufacturer and ask them what they are looking for in candidates for what you want to do.

Good luck.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I suppose it depends on what role you want to play, and what sort of shop you want to work with. With a large gun manufacturer, you can probably get pretty far removed from the actual gun-making process and still have a career with a gun manufacturer.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If you want to be a gun developer you will want to be a mech. engineer. If you want to manufacture guns, you will want machine skills. Maybe look into being an armorer in the military?
    A friend of mine is going to purdue with aspirations to work for gun developers. He already has gotten internships with Federal ammunition

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd love to say Mechanical Engineering, as that is the degree that SHOULD be most important to a firearms manufacturer ( and also because I happen to be one), but unfortunately I think a Sales and Marketing degree is what most of the large scale manufacturers care about these days.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Yep, machine tool programs and CNC programs would probably be pretty useful. Ivy Tech has a pretty decent CNC program (at least in my part of the state). Engineering/design, many schools offer mechanical programs. I can't imagine a school that doesn't offer marketing concentrations within their business program. I'm guessing that even a general business degree would be fine since you cover aspects from all concentrations.

As an example, you could get into ballistics physics and mechanical engineering degrees with some metallurgy would help get a foot in the door. As far as sales and marketing, the degree will help you get a foot in the door ahead of those that don't have a degree or previous experience but you'll still end up needing to know the product...you'll just have some tools to assist in the actual job, the skills will carry over to pretty much any type of product.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    All depends upon where your interests and skills suit you the best. A person who is an accountant at heart may not make a good machinist no matter how badly they want to work for a gun maker. But the gun maker just may have a need for a top notch accountant to keep the books straight. Get the degree that suits you the best, and then find a gun maker who needs your set of skills.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Or... you can get a degree in film making so you can teach them to make guns that do all the things that Hollywood guns do on the screen. That would be unique...

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    how big of a gun manufacture are you interested in? i.e. les baer needs different qualifications than s&w or colt etc. try to become an apprentice at a busy gun shop while in school,that will give you more insight as to the degree you need and want.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From my contacts at Purdue those grads that are working at firearm makers have degrees mostly in Mechanical Engineering. I know of one individual who majored in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering that works at an ammunition maker.

Tool and die gig while studying for your engineering degree?:dunno:

Depends on what they need, yeah? Maybe hit the NRA meeting in St. Louis this coming spring and go talk to the companies (they are all there) and see what they need.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The way I see it, you've got the cart in front of the horse.

You are trying to pick a degree based upon the perceived desires of a very small field of employers. Not too smart, IMHO. It would be better to get a degree doing what you want to do. You've thrown out engineering and marketing as two possible choices. These are radically different and it leads me to believe you'd really struggle in engineering courses. Engineering is hard and either you have the knack for it or you don't.

In reality, gun mfgrs. aren't too different from other manufacturers. You make a product, then sell it. Repeat. The only difference is the lack of electronics (keeps me out of the business).

My guess is that if you're willing to relocate, work hard and have good grades, you'll land a job with someone. I'm sure a passion for the product helps.

Learn to speak Croatian, then you'd be attractive to Springfield.

Try emailing various mfgrs. and ask them - they're the ones hiring, not us on this forum.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    well im not sure the best degree but i can say from a family members personal expierence an engineering dergree from Rose Hulman and a professional engineer cert. can get you a job offer at barret arms. he applied on a whim just to see what would happen and was offered a job in the engineering and development departmet!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    family members personal expierence an engineering dergree from Rose Hulman and a professional engineer cert. can get you a job offer at barret arms.

They can only tell you "no", they can't take away your birthday.:D

Listen up Rose or Purdue seniors, there you have it. Print off your resume and pass it around a trade show. SHOT is coming up in January.:laugh:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Live for years among the apes, learning to use sticks as crude tools and the ancient art of poop slinging. Then, when you are ready, apply for a job putting together Century rifles.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I graduated in May with a degree in Marketing. What I've learned so far in my career hunt is its all about experience. So I think you would be good with either a Marketing or some type of Engineering degree, but what companies are really looking for is that experience or internship work. Best bet is to find a firearms related job while in school to show that you have some experience in the field and a better chance of getting a career in firearms later down the road

Top Bottom