• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree with this advice. Overall, most corporations rely on outside counsel and have very small or no in-house counsel groups. The larger companies that do have in-house counsel tend to hire attorneys that have served as outside counsel for the corporation. Furthermore, if you work as an attorney for a large firearms manufacturer, you probably won’t be spending much time with firearms. You would be dealing mostly with transactional work, intellectual property, and managing outside counsel, i.e. traditional lawyer stuff.

If you are good at engineering, go down that route with a possible double major with marketing. If not, just go with the marketing degree.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Some other angles to look towards, if you like physics maybe study optics and lasers and get a degree in that. If in the mechanical field learn some 3D modeling software like Pro/E or Solidworks. That can open up job possibilities that actually pay. If you can sell ice to Eskimos, then get a MBA to go into sales. Keep in mind the more presentable that you look the further you can go.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Unless you're financially well off, you'd better think of a good way to get college paid for, otherwise, you'll be looking at a $40-50K college loan to pay off, and that's for a cheap school.

Considering you'll have appx. 40 classes for a Bachelors, and at roughly $1000 per class, it's a bunch of money.

Anymore, I couldn't tell you what to major in, since any degree is better than no degree. If you want to run the show, I'd say business. If you want to get down with the making of things in the business, go engineering.

I'd learn how to network now, so when the time comes to getting your job in the industry, you'll have one up on a lot of candidates.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm going to school for Design Technology (mechanical), IE: Cad Operator. My goal is to one day work for a firearm manufacture. I also have welding and machining experience.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I can understand wanting to get into a particular industry, but you should make sure what you want to do fits with the person you are. For example, I'm an engineer. It's not just by training, it's by nature. I would be hopeless in sales or marketing. My dad was a legendary salesman. He had knowledge of engineering and such, just not a talent for it. Find where you fit, you'll be happier. May or may not be in the firearm industry, don't get too hung up in that. Just figure out where you belong. Perfect what you're good at. Been around enough to see what happens if you try to force it.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions! Boy do I love INGO!

In some or another I have now researched many of the idea's you all had, and some where very helpful! So thanks again. Especially the multiple with unique idea's.

To clear up the OP for some, I'm natural and enjoy both engineering and sales. I am gunning for a career in fire arms (pun intended :D ) because its a passion of mine and while I could market a Ford Taraus just fine, I know that I can do much better with something I have my heart in (like most people).

Thanks again! You all had such great thoughts, that you deserve three thanks. :ingo:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sounds like you have it better figured out than a lot of people. Took me a while to really figure it out, in fact after I found myself totally outside my field. I'd love to go back, but I've figured out how to thrive wherever I am. Still wouldn't do sales or marketing :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sounds like you have it better figured out than a lot of people. Took me a while to really figure it out, in fact after I found myself totally outside my field. I'd love to go back, but I've figured out how to thrive wherever I am. Still wouldn't do sales or marketing :)

I'm getting close to finishing a business degree (HRM concentration with a marketing minor) and if I could find someone to pay me to shoot, play video games, and sleep...that is what I'd do. If that doesn't work out, I'd like to be an independent contractor that evaluates talent at gentlemen's clubs. Reality is, I'll probably be in middle management for a few years before giving it a go with a gun shop.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions! Boy do I love INGO!

In some or another I have now researched many of the idea's you all had, and some where very helpful! So thanks again. Especially the multiple with unique idea's.

To clear up the OP for some, I'm natural and enjoy both engineering and sales. I am gunning for a career in fire arms (pun intended :D ) because its a passion of mine and while I could market a Ford Taraus just fine, I know that I can do much better with something I have my heart in (like most people).

Thanks again! You all had such great thoughts, that you deserve three thanks. :ingo:

good luck......daryll

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    From my contacts at Purdue those grads that are working at firearm makers have degrees mostly in Mechanical Engineering. I know of one individual who majored in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering that works at an ammunition maker.

Tool and die gig while studying for your engineering degree?:dunno:

Depends on what they need, yeah? Maybe hit the NRA meeting in St. Louis this coming spring and go talk to the companies (they are all there) and see what they need.

I agree my first thought is Mech Engr too, but also consider Metallurgy/Materials Engr. I little more unique (and potentially easier degree) is Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology through the MET program (at Purdue for example). I know some that received a 2 year EET degree somewhere local then transfer to Big Ten Engineering School for another 2years in the MET program (includes pratical metallurgy) and specialized in Computer Integrated Manufacturing. This leads to a very practical background for any manufacturing environment and usually pays the same as a ME degree.

This is great experience as manufacturers transition from machine shop environment to CNC type production to reduce defects, lower cost and increase quality (pick up any Six Sigma skills you can while you are at it and you could be a valuable asset).:twocents:

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Purdue's MET program teaches a nice variety of design engineering, manufacturing engineering, and industrial engineering. You'll learn about projectile motion and programming CNC machines in the same day. I believe it is the most versatile of all technical degrees. Get a part time job at a local gunshop and some gunsmithing certificates and you could be unstoppable.

Too bad you would have to live in New York though. It seems like Ruger is the only manufacturer in a free state (AZ) at this point??? It would not be worth losing my gun rights to work for a gun manufacturer.

Top Bottom