• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "Best" meaning highest NRR rating.

There are tons of choices out there from 20-25 NRR - but that's not enough for my tastes.

I've seen some at 30 NRR, but I can't seem to find them again.

Am I chasing a unicorn at this price point?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Try Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs are listed at 30 NRR and they are available for $79 at Amazon or $61 at Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...=8-14&keywords=electronic+30db+ear+protection

Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs, Black and Grey - Walmart.com

Excellent! Those are the ones I had seen in a store somewhere (Cabela's, maybe?) and then couldn't remember what they are/were.

Any INGOers have any experience with these? Are they TOO chunky for rifle usage??

If they ARE too chunky, which I suspect, what would you think of loose-fitting "squeezy" ear plugs underneath some other ear pro? Would that completely defeat the purpose?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have Peltor TacSports, and they're typically more than enough reduction for me, although I don't believe they are up to your reduction rating. However, I've worn foam earplugs underneath them at indoor ranges when shooting rifle before. Works like a charm. Definitely doesn't completely defeat the purpose of the electronics. You should be able to double up with no issues with whatever you decide to go with.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have Peltor TacSports, and they're typically more than enough reduction for me, although I don't believe they are up to your reduction rating. However, I've worn foam earplugs underneath them at indoor ranges when shooting rifle before. Works like a charm. Definitely doesn't completely defeat the purpose of the electronics. You should be able to double up with no issues with whatever you decide to go with.

+1

I have the same muffs. Plenty of reduction for me outdoors, even with rifle or shotgun. Low profile enough for good cheek weld. I double up indoors as well, and the amplification is sufficient enough to still hear range commands even with plugs in.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The larger reduction earmuffs (electronic or standard) almost always have large ear cups. Years ago I searched for the mythical 30 NNR ear protection and foam ear plugs offered the greatest protection. I have tried a few different brands of electronic earmuffs and I have used Pro Ears for a long time. I purchased the Howard Leight Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff as a more compact set. The NNR is only 22 but they work well outside. I just received the ProSounds M-Series Electronic Hearing Protection (XT4) that I purchased from a funding site. These currently are on sale for $100 but only have a 25 NNR. I have not realy had much time with the XT4s but initially they appear to be high quality, comfortable, compact, and effective. The ProSounds M series is available for $107 shipped at:

http://axilpro.com/product/xt4-ear-muffs/

sc2djlmyof74xgwr1ulh.jpg

As for the muff covers they are helpful if you are wearing a headset all day or if you are using shared headsets that have not been sanitized. The covers tend to wick moisture so it can evaporate and relieve some of the pressure on the ears.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yes, it figures that if you go higher than 25 NRR that the physical size of the muffs is larger. At least in MY price point. I really can't justify/afford $250+ on some of the higher end stuff that MAY have a higher NRR in a smaller physical package. Since I'm not shopping in that price range I've not even bothered to research any of them to see.

I currently use either some custom-molded ear plugs or I'll use in-ear squeezies w/ muffs on top of them. I definitely double up if I'm indoors. Outdoors and just handguns / rimfires I'll only use the in-ear stuff.

I'm not super impressed with the custom molded things that I have. They're difficult to get "in" well and if I sweat at all they tend to get loose. They'll also get loose if I'm shooting long guns - which isn't a good thing to have happen.

I sent back a pair of perfectly good Peltors that my wife bought for me because they were only 22 NRR. Maybe I should've just kept them and put squeezies in under them. *sigh*

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Just tried out my new Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Electronic Earmuffs during a Friday night steel event. What a difference over what I have been using. I could hear normal speech much better and the gun reports were much more controlled across the board of guns. I would recommend these over cheaper ones hands down. I don't know if the Pro is still being made or not as I got this one as "new/open box." Best $55 I have spent for use at the range.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I bought a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs yesterday - 30 db NRR. $80-ish bucks from a local shop/range.

Think it was this model? https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...=8-14&keywords=electronic+30db+ear+protection

Yes, they're chunky. HOWEVER, I was able to try on a set of passive ear pro of the same size and I was able to easily shoulder an AR without interfering with the cheek weld. Granted, this was just shouldering and not firing. Also was not able to try out the fit of a shotgun. I suspect that the shotgun will be a tad more problematic both due to size of the stock and the stoutness of the recoil.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I second the Peltors being a good choice. I will say though, be leery of taking at face value what the claim to db reduction is. I've used some side by side labeled at a 10db difference with zero notable difference... Not saying some aren't better than others, but it's something to remember. If there is a set you like better don't get completely hung up on looking at numbers.

Top Bottom