• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That can be a scary thought indeed. In today's world we expect everything to be automatic and flawless and it only makes a person wonder what effects that could have on hunting or other activities involving firearms. My own father put faith into bore sighting but he shot competition on the Navy's pistol team and never hunted with a rifle. I shot competition rifle in the Scouts when we lived on a military base in Granite City, IL so I have always sighted my rifles in on a target at various ranges. I wouldn't think of doing it any other way.

I don't see what the "kick" factor has to do with hunting but I've seen it referenced here numerous times. I have taken well over 100 deer and I can't remember the "kick" the rifle gave me with any of them, even with magnums. You either hit your target or you may end up tracking an animal a long ways or lose it because it got on property you don't have permission to go on. Do you find it ironic that some that claim the 243 is good for LARGE North American game are probably using a 308 for the lowly "deer" of Indiana? Seriously, if a person doesn't like or can't handle the recoil of a big game rifle then they shouldn't be hunting big game. Rifles have great power and with great power comes great responsibility. (Good use of Marvel Comics jargon, huh?)

It sure would be tempting to sit and listen to the DNR channels on a scanner. I imagine the news media will have a heyday with every negative occurrence involving the new law.

I like that your posts have gotten a lot more cordial.

I think that "kick" is brought into the discussion because of trying to recruit women and children into the hunting/shooting sports. With all of the things competing for our recreational time and money, not to mention the short attention span of kids these days, being able to practice with and hunt with rifles that don't kick enough to leave a bruise or give you "scope eye" matters a lot. I've introduced my wife and three children to hunting. The only one who had a bad experience was my son, who came along before the PCR regulations went into effect. He did not care for the recoil or mess of the ML and was smart enough to avoid shooting a slug gun altogether. He no longer likes to hunt, although he gradually got used to shooting more powerful rifles. My wife and two daughters both enjoy hunting, in part because they have been allowed to use cartridges like the 44/40 and 358GNR...allowing them to be effective w/o having to endure a lot of recoil.

I sincerely hope there is no more negative occurrences with the 24/30 regs than we saw with the 1.625" or 1.800" regs. When those earlier changes were made, there were concerns about safety and ethical harvest, but thankfully those turned out to be unwarranted.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I worked gun retail a few yrs, the nonsense was just too great.
    Hang out at the shop, hit a few ranges, still on the edges of the local and not local scene.
    It's scary.
    If you think forums are bad..........lots of clueless never visit cyber boom town.

I suspect any problems with the new rifles will be from road hunters increasing in number.

Hope the DNR nails 'em all.

Yup, John Q Clueless does vote. That's how we got Obummer. They also breed.

Scary stuff.

Yup, I wasn't always a decent shot, but got pretty good early on. Outshot adults when I was in elementary school.
    But I had good eyes, decent fine pitch motor skills and listened and watched knowledgeable people.

Maybe social media/the web is half the problem (with those who use such things)....preconceived notions and too much bad info.

Even way back before that stuff, I saw some funky setups and logic at various ranges, and indeed, when asked, I helped.

Older wiser.............no longer help.

Like I said, work a decent volume shop for a couple of yrs. My sympathies to those men and women who work the week before the opener.
    With the election scare stuff...............they are in for a rough spell of dealing with morons.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My ol lady before she beefed up was 105# and liked to shoot a Rem 600 I had. Ergonomically they kinda suck.
    She peeled just over an inch (5 shot group at 125 yards- friends range).........off the bipods. Ir was a .75" gun/load.

She thought it no big deal (summer- T shirt).

Does not like above 9mm in handgun (even when in an all steel P35).

My oldest daughter when less than 100# shot my bud's 1100 slug gun...........wanted to. 2nd shot was in the X. She however said it was too much.
    Same for grandpa's Superedhawk .44 mag. She was mad she didn't hit the X and afterward wanted to go back out and redeem herself.

Personally I think reactive targets way more fun than paper.

My middle is a weirdo. She will run a pistol or rifle, shoot very well...........and be done. Just doesn't care, likes to try something new, a mag full and that's good enough.
    She'd be a natural, does well with archery, is stealthy too...........just doesn't want to spend more than a half hour at anything outdoorsy.
    Used to be a solid fisherman...........now won't even go near water.

Youngest loves to shoot Grandpa's Exemplar .22 lr and 7mm 08 Savage Striker. Big diff there.........the Striker scoped.
    But nothing is where she'd get bonked in the brow.

None of my kids have even been bonked by scoped rifles, not even the ol lady.

I don't see where having that happen to a newb is of any fun, yet idiots post such crap on Youtube.

The only time I find it funny is when a democrat get cuts to the friggin' bone. Still doesn't knock any sense into them, but it is of comedic value.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coworker was from another state. Hunted deer. Had 2 rifles, used factory ammo, and was not really a gun person.
    .243 win and .270 win his two chamberings.
    Said he liked the .270 better, seemed to drop them closer to impact site.
    Always recovered his deer, but implied that a few with .243 win were a chore.
    Dunno what bullets, distances, if shots off the mark or what.
    He again was not really a gun guy.
    But from his view..........bigger was a bit better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like .243 win for chucks/yotes.
    Will up the bullet weight and try it on deer.

Been cruising several forums and some folks run the factor 80gr stuff for deer.

Varmint bullets.

I don't get it.

But maybe they shoot deer under very controlled circumstances. Backyard, neck shot, within certain distance, content to sit all day and if the perfect shot not presented, sit for another day.

My hunting is variable, stand, still hunting, could be field. I don't wait for a perfect shot, take the first good one that presents itself.
    Smaller parcel ground, you just don't get repeat opportunities on good deer, and even the ones you get, better drop them on your side of the fence.

With that, the new HP rifle allowance might help.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I once read that the 30-06 (the newer ones, not those made at the turn of the century) can be loaded up to match 300 magnum numbers. Naturally being the gun nut I am, I had to try it. I don't remember what the recipe was but it pushed 165 gr Noslers at 3200 fps. The bad part was my Remington Bushmaster did not have a padded stock and that load kicked like a rabid mule when target shooting in a T shirt. However, it sure made the deer limp. Bigger and badder IS better. :):

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I once read that the 30-06 (the newer ones, not those made at the turn of the century) can be loaded up to match 300 magnum numbers. Naturally being the gun nut I am, I had to try it. I don't remember what the recipe was but it pushed 165 gr Noslers at 3200 fps. The bad part was my Remington Bushmaster did not have a padded stock and that load kicked like a rabid mule when target shooting in a T shirt. However, it sure made the deer limp. Bigger and badder IS better. :):

It's true that a 30-'06, in a modern action, can match the performance numbers of the original 300 H&H Magnum, but that can be hot-rodded as well. The AI version thereof can wring quite a bit more velocity out of the original full-length magnum.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington Bushmaster?

I heard that the Freedom Group got Bushmaster and they built the AR's for Remington.

But as far as named .30-06 rifles, esp of yesteryear............the 74 series of autos were "Woodsmaster" and the pump 76 series "Gamemaster".
    And in the autos you don't want to run the heavy stuff (742 or 740).
    Design issues, heavies in the '06 will cause bolt rail chew.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Remington Bushmaster?

I heard that the Freedom Group got Bushmaster and they built the AR's for Remington.

But as far as named .30-06 rifles, esp of yesteryear............the 74 series of autos were "Woodsmaster" and the pump 76 series "Gamemaster".
    And in the autos you don't want to run the heavy stuff (742 or 740).
    Design issues, heavies in the '06 will cause bolt rail chew.

My bad. I was too lazy to dig it out so I just looked it up on the net. It's a 742. Good Call!

Top Bottom