• ...and so much more!
  • Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    I like both of my Mossberg MVPs.

I have the Varmint model with a Vortex FFP PST, and have shot it comfortably for a couple hours session. 300+ rounds through it. Stock is very comfortable.

I recently got the Patrol version and paired with a Vortex OPMOD Strike Eagle 1-6x24 with their low mounts. Super fun, light and small. I pair it with my muzzle break and 10 round AR mags, a great experience for intermediate ranges.

Having the availability to run any AR magazine is a nice feature. Don't cheap out on the mags, as those with cheap/flimsy followers and springs don't provide enough upward pressure on the bolt to grab the round correctly.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Stability calculators show that 1:9 will work just fine with 75/77gr HPBT bullets, regardless of what the interwebs tells you. Of course, stability does not necessarily reflect accuracy and vice versa...but bullets shouldn't keyhole assuming a factory button or CHF barrel is actually twisted to its spec.

I've personally had very good luck with the Hornady 75gr HPBT over Varget out of Savage 1:9 barrels, in fact one barrel was fairly consistent giving 5 shot, sub-half MOA groups at 200 yards.

I *really* wish Ruger made their new American Rifle Ranch 223 (twisted 1:8) using their AICS-pattern RPR 223 magazines, instead of AR-pattern magazines...with an AICS pattern mag one could run the 80gr SMK or 75gr ELD-M and actually take advantage of the twist rate. Instead, they went lowest common denominator and probably made more potential buyers happy...
    You’re surprised that everything Ruger does is LCD? They are pretty much the food stamp program of the gun world.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You’re surprised that everything Ruger does is LCD? They are pretty much the food stamp program of the gun world.

I was quite actually surprised when they released the RPR in 223. It checked all the appropriate boxes and I grabbed one immediately...only I couldn't manage to get comfortable shooting a chassis.

Of course they discontinued it after a year, probably because potential buyers whined it wouldn't take AR mags and therefore it didn't sell in the necessary volume...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Mossberg MVP or Savage 10FP. I like the Mossberg for the AR mags. The Savage in my experience is a wee bit more accurate.

Top Bottom