• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I would vote 22 revolver as well. Not sure I would trust 22lr snake shot though, would personally probably prefer 22cb for the described scenario.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I would vote 22 revolver as well. Not sure I would trust 22lr snake shot though, would personally probably prefer 22cb for the described scenario.

Agreed, the rat shot out of any of my .22 revolvers (lcr,617, single 6) isn’t all that impressive.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Agreed, the rat shot out of any of my .22 revolvers (lcr,617, single 6) isn’t all that impressive.

Exactly I found that out a long time ago.

Get a 38/357 snubnose and get these.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017694215

They make them for 9mm, 44 magnum/special and 45 Colt or use to.

I buy these and load my own with #4 shot. It shoots around 1100 fps from my Ruger LCRx. I can kill them easily upto 4yd away.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010935619?pid=313962

A review on Big 4
    CCI Big 4 Shotshells | Down Range TV.

Last edited:

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Just picked up a box of those #4s Friday. I usually use the blue ones but I saw the others and thought I’d check them out. I did here they make a shot shell for the .500 now too but it’s not exactly my putting around the farm gun lol

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I carry a 22 revolver I bought in the 80's. I carry in a leather side holster with a snap strap.
    It is on an old web belt, I strap it on over whatever I'm wearing.
    Anytime I'm on the mower or tractor I wear it. Anytime we walk in the woods I carry it.
    It and a flash light are first line after dark chicken house defense.
    Loaded with bird shot and hollow point alternately.

To answer someones question will 22 bird shot kill a snake? It always has at my house.
    I use to have a 22 mag derringer loaded with bird shot. Fit right in your front pocket, much more discrete when it wasn't your place you where on.

I have a 22 cal Crossman pump air pistol that does the job. It might be a good option for folks living in town, or close neighbors.

Only good snake is a dead snake.

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I tested the pattern of .22 snake loads and do not believe they would kill most snakes in one or two shots. Large patterns and small shot. I have killed snakes with regular .22 shells from a pistol.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I tested the pattern of .22 snake loads and do not believe they would kill most snakes in one or two shots. Large patterns and small shot. I have killed snakes with regular .22 shells from a pistol.

About the only thing .22 birdshot is good for, is shooting wood boring bees out of mid air - and THAT is fun

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Lost one of our does to a venomous snake. This a.m. was out checking things out after the storm. Usually if I am walking I am not carrying. This needs to change. Today I noticed a water snake in the field thing coiled up at me the whole 9 yards. So I am thinking of the Ruger 22 version of the lcp. I am thinking 22lr because we have a few that are easily frightened. Thoughts? I just want something small for pocket carry, that will be a tool.

Thanks

Not being sarcastic but did you read the first line? No irrational fear what so ever, just the loss of a purebred registered doe! Which is about a $1k loss. The Necropsy confirmed the cause of death. So clearly the don’t bother them theory is a fail.

Thanks for your input.

Exactly if the thing is outside of the goats area no harm no foul. But in the pasture not so much. I don’t care for snakes and a bunch of other things but if it’s not threatening not an issue.

Thanks I was leaning towards 22 because of the availability of ammo. 38 is kind of like a unicorn around here lol.

Noise level?

We have a few goats that are sensitive to load noises. So far they still get all out of sorts with any loud noises, tractors, thunder etc.

Thanks

Yes that is actually where the detour started lol.

Sir

I have read this thread all the way thru, and have quoted your queries and concerns. I really like .22lr bird shot, for fun and critter control. Here is my take, for what it is worth.

Most .22lr pistols will not cycle shotshells. The rifling in the barrel WILL cause the shot to open up very fast, making effective range severely short. And in short barrels, shotshells are not exactly quiet. I have a hand-me-down Stevens single shot, with a worn out barrel, not much rifling left, that I use as a garden gun. With the ~14" barrel, it is quiet enough to not bother anyone. You could try for that, although it would be awkward to carry around. If you search for garden guns, which are smooth bore rifle caliber firearms, you can find some that are affordable. Henry USA is the only company making a current garden gun, nice .22lr lever action.

I have also used Aquila Super Colibri to good effect on critter removal. Within limits, the 20gr slug can take out nuisance squirrels, and put down raccoons. They are a primer only powered .22lr round, and out of a handgun are very quiet, and effective.

So, after all this, my recommendation is a small, snub nose style .22lr revolver, loaded with Super Colibris, and maybe one or two shot shells. That combo should dispatch and slithering varmint coiled up in the pasture. I can even recommend a North American Arms mini revolver, in .22lr. The Colibis would still be quiet, tho the shot shells would be a bit louder. 5 rounds, single action, shirt pocket carry sized tool.

Hope you are happy with whichever handgun you get, and that it meets your needs.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For twenty years in SE Texas we were essentially in a jungle, the pitter-patter of dew raining off the trees every morning was the norm. Snakes of many types (only rattlers, cotton mouths, coral snakes and copperheads poisonous though), foot and half long salamander crawling through the yard, crawdads and fire ants vying to be the dominant lifeforms...

If the trusty Briggs & Stratton didn't get the poisonous ones then the snubby .38 with shot cartridges did. Worked great. Now in Indiana we don't have poisonous snakes, seldom can find any snakes at all and still get a grin at ourselves for being skiddish when working around the place.

Top Bottom