Best fruit trees for high clay content soil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm "prepping" my retirement property with additional fruit trees. Regardless of if SHTF or not, free fruit is in my plans for the future. I have several mature apple trees but am looking for some variety. I planted pear trees back in '02, and they've lived but never done much. There is a multitude of naturally occurring walnut trees that do pretty good.

The ground has a very high clay content and stays moist most of the year. Also, due to being in a hollow, I get about 1.5 hours less direct sun than if I were on flat ground.

So, what thrives in those conditions? This is long term, I've got 18 more years before I can inhabit it full time.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Have you done anything with the walnuts? I was lead to believe that the local walnuts are almost all Black Walnuts, which, while theoretically edible, are not nearly as productive, easily accessed, or useful as the English Walnuts that appear in bags of nuts around Christmas.

I planted a number of fruit trees over the last couple of years. The drought was hard on them. Anxious to see what comes back in the Spring.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Plum and Cherry trees tend to grow well, and produce quite a bit of fruit.

Black rasberries grow just about anywhere and will produce quite a bit of fruit if you can pick it faster than the birds eat it.

Also, red and green rhubarb grow well in Indiana and require little/no work.

Grapes can grow well, but require a little extra effort.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    E-mails back.

1. Have your soil tested.

2. How you plant them is key. Potting soil should be used along with mounding depending on drainage.

3. Look at bing cherries, plums, pears, pawpaws, walnuts, currants, possibly figs.

I would suggest calling Dick Crum on Saturday AM on WIBC. Say hello to Mr. Crum for me.:)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The nice thing about plum trees (not not nice depending on what you want) is that they have runners.

You'll have a gazillion plum trees in no time.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    E-mails back.

1. Have your soil tested.

2. How you plant them is key. Potting soil should be used along with mounding depending on drainage.

3. Look at bing cherries, plums, pears, pawpaws, walnuts, currants, possibly figs.

I would suggest calling Dick Crum on Saturday AM on WIBC. Say hello to Mr. Crum for me.:)
    Skip currants unless you're farther south. They don't last as long as other bushes and they tend to get root rot pretty easy. Goose berries will do better, too.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    blackberry and rasberry plants make great property boarder plants as they also have thorns on thier stems that make it a chore to enter the property un-heard...

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Northstar cherries do well in our soil, but the birds can get them easily.

Blackberries and raspberries are easy.

Blueberries do need very acid soil. Mix sphagnum peat or pine fines in with them to help with that. Some blueberries can be left in pots all winter and survive. Look for zone 3 or under. Tophat is the most popular container blueberry. The more varieties the better for greater yields.

Pears are ok, just remember they do need a pollinator.

I have had great success with Peaches.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have all clay and a mini-orchard. The Asian Pear and traditional pear trees seem to do very well, as do peaches. Blueberry . . . not so much. Raspberry & Blackberry do "ok" but bad but not great. Apples do "ok" as do Asian plums.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you have black walnut, nothing will grow beneath them or near them as they poison the ground in
    defense...
    You can cover fruit trees with nets to keep birds off if they're not too tall....wait till almost ripe.
    Some trees are sexed, you need both sexes.....really...I think this includes pears.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    How about persimmons or pawpaws. They're both native to Indiana and I'm given to understand that they (especially the pawpaw) have very few pests that bother them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll look into plums and pawpaws. Berries occur naturally in the area, I really don't have to plant them so much as just not mow them.

Yes, I've eaten the walnuts before, and yes they are a PITA to get in to. When I was a kid we'd leave them in the drive and run over them for a few weeks to get the outside hull off, then hammer them to get to the nut. If you try to peel the hull off with your hand, enjoy the stains on your skin because they are there for awhile. I don't think they poison the ground, creeper vines started trying to strangle them while I was overseas and no one was looking after the property, and grass grows fine.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We do very well with pears, apples, cherries (even though we never get them before the birds), blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. Some native fruits that always do well are paw-paws and persimmon. Our peaches surprisingly do very well too sometimes yielding twice a year! Oh and I agree, Dr Dirt (Dick Crum) on WIBC Saturday mornings is THE guru of this stuff and it is never hard to get through when calling in.

Top Bottom