• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My dad takes a small paintbrush and low crawls around the yard painting undiluted roundup concentrate on the leaves of plants he wants to die...but I think it just reminds him of Korea or islands in the Pacific during WWII.

It seems to work though.

As opposed to me...I use a sprayer and kill most of the things my wife doesn't want me to also.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    2, 4 d is not "ground clearing". It is selective, leaving most grasses unharmed. I have grass that wants to grow in my driveway, so 2, 4 d isn't what I would personally choose.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Sounds like I need to be more aggressive, add some soap, and apply at the right time of day.

My first go round with the "Compare N Save" was poor. I was mixing it too weak. Always an argument as to fetch the reading glasses to find the specific measurement buried in the instruction book pages, tiny print, taped to the back of the bottle. This and the surfactant thing is why Roundup is so successful at selling the expensive premixed stuff.

After a discussion with our own philo on the surfactant thing, measurements were reexamined. Discovered I was using half as much concentrate as needed. :rolleyes:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Glyphosate from tsc, and a bottle of surfactant. I've tried the dish soap. Surfactant works much better. Mucho mucho better.

Tank mixing 2,4d and gly will wack everything.....even your weeds that are resistant to gly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My first go round with the "Compare N Save" was poor. I was mixing it too weak. Always an argument as to fetch the reading glasses to find the specific measurement buried in the instruction book pages, tiny print, taped to the back of the bottle. This and the surfactant thing is why Roundup is so successful at selling the expensive premixed stuff.

After a discussion with our own philo on the surfactant thing, measurements were reexamined. Discovered I was using half as much concentrate as needed. :rolleyes:

We'll have to talk more about this.

Glyphosate from tsc, and a bottle of surfactant. I've tried the dish soap. Surfactant works much better. Mucho mucho better.

Tank mixing 2,4d and gly will wack everything.....even your weeds that are resistant to gly.

Ah . . . dish soap is a surfactant. Actually, most of them are mixture of surfactants. A detergent to do the work and a soap to make the bubbles.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My dad takes a small paintbrush and low crawls around the yard painting undiluted roundup concentrate on the leaves of plants he wants to die...but I think it just reminds him of Korea or islands in the Pacific during WWII.

It seems to work though.

As opposed to me...I use a sprayer and kill most of the things my wife doesn't want me to also.

I do the same thing in some places, using a one-inch sash brush and a spatula shaped piece of thin plywood to selectively paint undiluted glyphosate onto poison ivy that tries to grow up in my climbing plants along my privacy fence. I also use it to paint up thistles that grow in flower beds. It's pretty effective.

Although I do it just bending over, not with the full-on body crawl.:):

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    15afea01c456f2730ac033504404180c--aliens-music.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Details please sir. Brands, purchase locations, etc.

TIA

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    We use AMS which is ammonium sulfate as our surfactant. 2-4, d is available in many brands and anyone at tsc or rural king should be able to locate it. We use Drexel brand products it is just a generic company for our glyphosate and AMS.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Details please sir. Brands, purchase locations, etc.

TIA

I guess I should say this also. I personally think the reason I get better results with surfactant is because there are actual mixing instructions on it. Nobody ever told me an exact ratio of soap to gly so I was always just using a squirt, and never the same brand of soap either. At least with real surfactant, the mix was repeatable.

To answer your question, I get most of my stuff locally from site one which is a professional landscape supply. Used to be called John Deere landscapes. However just about any feed store, tsc, or rural king should have all of these.

The following numbers are from memory, so read the labels before using my numbers.

Gly on hand is generic from tsc. 2.5 gal of 41% for $60. 2.8 oz / gal.

Surfactant is ProSoulutions 80/20. $25/ gallon. 0.25 oz/ gal (you can use up to 0.32/ gal)

I've honestly moved away from 2,4d apps, but you can get it at the same above places. Iirc, ratio is 1 oz/ gal. When used as a selective and not mixed with gly, there are much better choices, but that's a different subject.

When mixing all chems, add 75% of the water, then add chems, then 25% of water. Then agitate or shake your mix. This is where soap sucks. We don't need no stinking bubbles from soap. Some chems foam enough on their own.

Use a good measuring device where you can get good consistent measurements. Don't just use a shot glass or eyeball it. I use. 4 oz measuring cup with easy to see lines.

If you are having trouble finding chems locally, keystone pest solutions is a good online resource for getting them.

As always, read the label and follow it......it's the law.

Last edited:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I use a heavy mix of Rural king generic glyphosate and 2,4d around my grain bins and sheds. Applied on a hot day, it works quickly. Dad always added a little diesel fuel in his hand pump sprayer. I'm hesitant to do that in my 12v spot sprayer though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    1990 was a very different time....you could still call cadences like "napalm sticks to kids" without being counselled.

....but I digress.

Anyhoo, good for driveways, not so much for lawns.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom