• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Best all round gun, low cost....Mossberg 500. Use it from rabbits to deer to grizzly, also very good for home defense.

Best rifle...tuff....a .22 is a excellent choice..but you said your going to the next Indy show...?.... for the money an since you seem to like the idea of AR's....Find ZX Guns, they will have complete lowers for around 189.00....then last time we were there a guy was selling used Colt uppers, they had M16 bolts an suspect they were used LEO or military, he was selling them for 275.00 to 350.00...my son got a 300.00 A2 upper an had a complete AR for 500.00...it shoots perfect. That price is hard to beat. For the next Indy show this is what I would recommend...plenty of $$$ left over for a Mossberg an .22 an ammo....good luck.

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Dude,

If you're looking for a home defense gun, I'd buy a 12 gage pump gun from either Remington or Mossberg. The Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are both good guns for home defense. You do not want a rifle for home defense, there's too many potential "alternate" targets. Remember rule number 4, know your target and what's behind it. Buy a 12 gage shot gun for your home defense weapon.

Good luck,

Aaron

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Wow, you couldn't be any more vague ... and get any more responses.

Anyhow ... couple clues, you have to decide what you're looking for:

1. Home Defense - is a shotgun, bar none. I have yet to figure out what all these people think they are going to HomeDefend with an AR? Under the catagory of value, the Mossburg500 is the best value I know of, they can be bought dirt cheap (and work) ... I'm kinda partial to the Ithaca37 ... and the Remington 870 is probably the best value/quality piece.

2. If you've not shot much ... a 22lr is the way to go! Ammo is cheap, and their is no recoil. If you have kids, you'll be teaching them on a 22lr/pellet gun anyhow. Ruger 10/22 are great, and plentiful ... although, in the catagory of 22lr, I don't think any manufacturer can be ruled out (they'll all shoot great).

3. If you want to go straight to centerfire, and still haven't shot much ... I'd stick with the standard, .223 or .308 (lot more toward the .223). Bolt Action / Auto ... whatever your choice. Ammo is MUCH more expensive, and you'll have to shoot to 100yds to even start to recognize potential.

4. Handguns are a whole 'nother topic (if that's what you want too). I'm partial to revolvers, but autos are good too. I'm also partial to 357's ... and in that caliber, 4" is just about perfect do all! 45LC is a surprising caliber, that can be more powerful than 44mag. In the auto world, there's a plethera of choices ... but again I'd stick to a standard 9mm / 45acp.

Lots of choices, have fun.
    Neal

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    This looks like a great thread for us newbies!

I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 for my first rifle. Everyone here suggesting them are right on track! I love my 10/22!! And I can shoot it all day long as cheap as .22lr ammo is.

One question to build on the OP...

How would one go about building an AR-style .22lr that can be converted to an actual AR later? And what would that cost (the AR-style .22lr)?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In my opinion an AR/AK is a bit overkill for a HD gun. Even at close range, there is a good chance of over penetration. Which could cause a round to go through walls, possibly into a child's room etc. I would look at a shotgun. You can get a good one for $250-$300. There is still a chance of over penetration, but not as much as high powered rifle. I also agree starting out with a good .22, but I would go with a magnum. Not as many options, but a little more punch.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Your post says you want a rifle as a first choice. As stated before, a 22lr or 22wmr in a bolt configuration is accurate enough for target and hunting. A good start with low recoil and a low power caliber. Been there, done that myself.

An AK74 (5.45x39 or .223) or AK47 (7.62x39 or .308) would serve you well as a great utility rifle (trunk gun or home defense). Top shelf reliability, affordable, and easy enough for everyone in the family to operate in a pinch.

The AK74 would be accurate enough (no tack driver though) with low recoil for fun plinking. The 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 is plentiful and affordable.

As stated before, if you shop hard enough, you can put together an AR platform with several calibers to select.

If a rifle wasn't your first choice, there are many shotgun styles and brands to select. If home defense is the main consideration, the shotgun has been one of the best and effective American home defense innovations, since the frontier days.

Pick something the family can fire also, in a pinch. Home invasions are on the rise in the Indy area for example, at all times of the day. You may not be home with the family.

A good dog for early warning and redirection, couldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I realize you ask "which AK/AR/SKS" is best. If you have very little experience with a high power semi auto, you might look into a 10/22. Get in some trigger time, come out to an Appleseed and learn how to safely and correctly shoot, or even take a class, but start small. You can spend a whole lot more time shooting a 22 than a .223.

Opinions vary on using a rifle or shotgun for HD, I tend to go with the shotgun, and use the rifle for longer range. You have a pistol.

In answer to to the question which is best, I just went thru this myself, and came to the conclusion, the AR. My conclusion based on the availability of parts and accessories, and resale value.

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    for my money. it your just starting out, first rifle, id say a 22cal. eather a marlin model 60 or a 10/22.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It really depends on both your funds and the reason you want a rifle. I would agree with the above posters on a 10/22 as being a good "first gun". If you are only buying one gun and want the best gun for the cheapest price I would say Mosin-Nagant. If you only want one gun to defend your home but need to watch your budget then look at at a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. If you are only going to buy one gun and your budget is unlimited then look at an FAL or M1A1.

The trouble with the "best gun" arguments is that guns are tools that do lots of different jobs and some are better at specific tasks than others and not all of us have thousands to spend on a rifle.

My best advice is to buy a 10/22 to learn on. Shooting tends to be addictive and a 10/22 has a nice low "dollar to fun" ratio. Then just budget a portion of your income for ammo, new guns and safes. Yes, safes because if you get just one you will fill it up. Then relax and enjoy your addiction.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    First rifle...91/30. For price. Like others have said. Its hard to beat and you can upgrade it to look real nice later if you get bored.

Another would be a 10/22.

If you desire an AR type go with a DPMS used. There are cheaper AR's, but if your looking for cheaper and quality, id stick with a used dpms. If you are looking for really cheap, there are about 3,452,345,123,541 Olympic Arms AR's floating around many gun shops.

If you are looking for an ak, just stay away from Century Arms. IMHO. They are cheap, but there is a reason for it. (Mags rattle around and bolt loves to jam)

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it. I decided I'm going to go with a shotgun first then later pick up a rifle (I know how addicting shooting is). So, therefore, my next question would be what kind of shotgun is best (I'm looking for a 12 gauge, 9+1 rounds). Thanks in advance!

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm going to paraphrase here:

Owning a [gun] doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Whatever you get, get training!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am going to go in a completely different direction here. J&G is offering their semi auto version of the Suomi for $399.00 on sale. Add in 3 72 round drums and 2 more 36 round stick mags and with a 20 dollar transfer fee you are at about $600.00

For an historian the Suomi represents one of the best sub guns to come out of WWII.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    How does 3 guns for $400 sound?
    Buy a good used 12 gauge for $150 a Hi point 9mm for $150 and a Mosin or a good used .Marlin 90 .22 for $100!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it. I decided I'm going to go with a shotgun first then later pick up a rifle (I know how addicting shooting is). So, therefore, my next question would be what kind of shotgun is best (I'm looking for a 12 gauge, 9+1 rounds). Thanks in advance!
    Maverick88 with a 20" barrel will give you 7+1 for around $200 and it's a pretty good gun. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a 9+1 12 ga for less than twice that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know that I'd call a 91/30 a good home defense gun. Maybe an M44 or M38, but a 91/30 would be great for defending your neighbors home, even if he lived in the next county.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    If you are definitely going with 7.62 x 39, you might look at the CZ VZ-58. Very nice, but AK's are more readily available (parts, etc.).

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    First off a .22 either a 10/22 if you want to get into the "how much stuff can I hang on one gun race, or for just good plinkin fun a Marlin 60 is hard to beat especially cost wise.
    Home protection, a good pump shotgun, Mossberg 500, Remington 870, both are good and retain their value. Don't worry about round count, the zombies aren't at the door........yet.
    Center fire rifle you might like my all time favorite 336 Marlin in 30/30. I've seen them used for as little as $100 and the ammo is available nearly everywhere.
    Handgun, again a .22 is where to start. the best on the market right now IMO
    is a Ruger MK I II III or which ever series they're up to. They're tanks, shoot well and if like me, you don't care for the bulk and ergonomics, hold their value well. Look at the Walther P22 although I have not shot one.
    Military, .30 carbines and Garands are for collectors, look first at a SKS a little limited on capacity, AK47 tanks that the sky the limit on capacity,. Both being 7.62X39 ammo is easy to come by. The AR series of rifles it gets a little more tricky. IMO there are 3 classes of rifles those that are sky high in price mostly because of hype, those that are good solid performs at fair prices, and the bottom feeder. You'll have nearly what a first class rifle would cost you to get it to work. Right now there are Rock River rifles (1st Tier) that are nothing but RR lowers with kits assembled on them by someone in their garage. Trouble is separating the wheat from the chaff.
    This is my opinion whether it fits your need is up to you.
    Research is No.1 only you truly know your needs and capablities.
    No. 2 If you have a friend that shoots remember most shooter are looking for an accuse to go to the range. Wrangle an invitation, most are more than happy to let you shoot their firearms. Courtesy points for sharing ammo cost.
    No. 3 Just because Pistol XYZ is the hot number right now doesn't mean it will work for you. Shoot everything you can before buying. Don't fall for the fads, look at No. 1
    Good Luck... Knowledge No.1.......Duce<><

Top Bottom