• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    After considering... I'd say, you should just save up until you have twice as much. If this is your first gun, you'll not be satisfied and end up having to buy another one once your hooked.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Save up and get something that will really serve you well. A few hundred more bucks can make a huge difference and also give you some more headroom to haggle with.
    +1 or save an additional $50 and buy a used gun.

I am a Glock guy, a used Glock is a good purchase for me. But buying used opens lots of doors, be it revolver, semi-auto or whatever you decide on.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Buy a Hi-point C9 and a few boxs of ammo. Then go take your girl out with the 60 bucks or so you will have left. O and stop thinking your gonna get some tacticool mall defender for 300 bucks. Not going to happen.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Mine is still in near mint shape. It's like anything else...you have to somewhat at least take care of it. As for hitting the can...the gun is only as good as the person pulling the trigger.

Although I agree with everything you've said above, I just think the gun was a turd. I bought it new and would estimate that it had less than 250 rounds through it when it got stolen. I think with that short amount of use it would take an awful lot of abuse to make it as loose as it was. It isn't the only handgun I had at the time, just the only one I couldn't hit anything with (and it wasn't just me).

I'm not disparaging the Ruger line by any means. I have a Ruger handgun today. I just suspect this particular gun was made on a Friday a half hour before closing time. :dunno:

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    For $360 + FFL transfer i got a brand new Taurus Millennium Pro 45ACP subcompact polymer framed handgun. It appears to be a well built gun, I have to go break it in still, the action is a bit chunky and if you cycle the slide too slow it wants to jam but that's just me fooling with it. Under actual shooting conditions I assume it will be just fine. I would increase that budget just a little. Your comfort level may be a bit different than mine as I would have no problem taking it apart and doing some filing and polishing and whatnot if it needs it to work smooth. I would almost rather do that than have it the easy way honestly.....i like to tinker

Last edited:

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    Ruger P95 was my choice for a sub $300 handgun. My first sem-auto, bought it new about 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Kinda "clunky" but shoots straight and has never failed to go bang.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    well gentlemen, and ladies?
    In closing i wanted to thank you all for the contributions and info on the topic.
    From your feedback, many would prefer a used "brand name" gun over anything new. As for the new guns it sounds like the P95 came in first followed by the S&W Sigma then came Kel-Tec, Hi-Point, Bersa and a couple others. I also noted that most of these were 9mm, of which i've heard differing opinions of if that's big enough to stop a real bad-ass. Anyhow, to each his own.:cool:

stacks067

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    New Haven
    I bought my ruger lcp for right around that price. Not my favorite gun, but it's reliable and does fits my need for a lightweight SD weapon.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    So, I think most replies have satisfied the original question, and there are a ton of firearms in there that I haven't fired, but...

You aren't going to be very good with your handgun if you cannot afford to practice with, or carry your firearm, because you can't afford 1k practice ammo and a decent holster and belt. I don't personally think I'd call any handgun reliable before I had put 1k through it. I would rather tell you not to waste your money than put some 300$ POS in your pocket without being familiar with it.

If you have 300$, and that's all, get a pump shotgun for HD, they are better served for the task anyways. :twocents:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'd rather have a glock then a hi-point...I've been told that the hi-point are not user serviceable, meaning you'd have to send it in to have it cleaned/serviced.

If I were to get a revolver, it's a Ruger snub nose in .357 mag(around $400)...if its a pocket pistol, it's either a Ruger LCP in .380 auto(between $300 and $400) or kahr 9mm(around $800 msrp last time I looked).

If its full size frame, the Ruger p345 fit my hand the best and love it to bits and pieces had it not jam up all the time(wanting to get another one in hope the first one was an isolated event, around $550 last time I looked), other wise it's a RIA 1911($400-$500 depending where you shop, maybe even cheaper).

However, if you were able to increase your budget, that would open up more options.

tsbolton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    DANVILLE
    Not Hi point

Just kidding dont know anything about hi-point they just look so big and ugly.I would look at Taurus or Keltec. I try to buy used when possible.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Ruger's P95 is a very good 9 at that price point. It is a bit big of frame but hold a 15 rd mag, has a steel slide and ambidexterous safety and mag release. It is accurate and very dependable.
    Yep. I bought a P-95 a couple of years ago, seems to shoot well! Although thinking about "Trading UP' to a Sig or Beretta 9mm in the future...

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    +1 on the P95 (tough and reliable) while using a 9mm round that's low enough in cost to allow you to hone your skills. As so many have said, just make certain you put in the practice time before you "depend" on it :draw:

Top Bottom