• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    Somewhere under the rainbow
    Hello I am new to this site and I am looking for some information on a small but effecient handgun to keep at home and to take to the range on my days off. I am looking for something light weight and that will fit welll. I have small hands so I am looking for something a little smaller something I can carry in my purse on a daily basis witout being noticeable or weigh my luggage down. lol
    Thank You for all your help in advance.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As a person will little girly hands, i would suggest the Kel Tec PF9. I love mine.
    Also I would not keep it in your purse, bad guys tend to target purses for snatch and run.

also welcome to the board!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    A few years ago, I bought my wife a Ruger LCR .38 Special revolver. (She picked it out due to the great trigger.)

What make a revolver an essential part of a woman's daily attire, is that it can actually be fired from inside the purse toward an attacker without jamming.

rugerlcrchanel.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The pf-9 Fullmetaljesus mentions would be a good one to look into, it was my wife's first carry pistol. She has since purchased a s&w BG380, and recently moved on to a ruger LCR. Best suggestion would be go to a gun range that rents guns, and find something you are comfortable with. Take notes on what you like, what has too much recoil, and features you want in your pistol. This should give you a better idea about what you want when you do go looking to buy. The most important thing to remember is that the decision is not permanent, and you can always trade into another one if you later find you do not like it, or your tastes change.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hello I am new to this site and I am looking for some information on a small but effecient handgun to keep at home and to take to the range on my days off. I am looking for something light weight and that will fit welll. I have small hands so I am looking for something a little smaller something I can carry in my purse on a daily basis witout being noticeable or weigh my luggage down. lol
    Thank You for all your help in advance.

I would visiting as range that rents guns, and I would try shooting a number of different size ones, as well as a range of calibers. Plus, shooting is just plain fun :)

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    I recently looked EAA/Tanfoglio Witness, an improved CZ clone. From what I gather, it's a good brand, just not that well known, so it's not expensive. The ergonomics were amazing. My only reservation is that it didn't have a decocker, but that shouldn't matter much for home defense or range.

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    As a person will little girly hands, i would suggest the Kel Tec PF9. I love mine.
    Also I would not keep it in your purse, bad guys tend to target purses for snatch and run.

also welcome to the board!

Thanks so pretty much I shouldnt carry it in my purse.. hmm I dont wear dresses or skirts enough for a thigh holster and well an ankle one although its far for me. lol seems kind of out of the way so then what a pocket would be the next best place?
    Thanks for all the help as you can see Im new but very interested.
    :):

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ruger SR9c. One of the nicest compacts I've ever shot. Has a factory grip extension for using full-size 17-round mags. Great gun.

M&P9c, I recently picked up one of these little gems and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns I own. Changeable back straps where you can custom fit the grip to you and 12-round magazines as standard.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ruger SR9c. One of the nicest compacts I've ever shot. Has a factory grip extension for using full-size 17-round mags. Great gun.

M&P9c, I recently picked up one of these little gems and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns I own. Changeable back straps where you can custom fit the grip to you and 12-round magazines as standard.

Agree with both. MP9c will most likely be added to my collection someday.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thanks I have noted all the different ones and will be looking into them. Now time to find a
    range around my area that rents. Not so sure about that.

Depending on your area, there are a few different ranges in the state. Another option might be attending an INGO event, where I am sure there are a few members that would be there more than happy to help you find the right pistol for you.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's not easy to find a lightweight/compact gun that is also easy to shoot and fun to learn with. Small guns often have snappy recoil and are a little more difficult to control than their larger counterparts. Besides recoil, trigger weight and reach are important to consider.

Some guns that I would put at the top of my list if I were in your situation:

Smith & Wesson M&P Sheild 9mm - this is a brand new gun and is somewhat unproven, but it seems to be very well received thus far.

Beretta Nano - this gun has also been on the market for a relatively short time, but it seems that most people are quite happy with them.

Kahr CM9 (or PM9) - Kahr was one of the first companies to produce a small lightweight "single stack" 9mm. Although the competition has heated up a lot in recent years, the Kahr is probably still the one to beat.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - this is a little wider than the above guns due to the double stack magazine, but it is reasonably compact, easy to control, and has a very comfortable grip with interchangeable backstraps.

All of the above guns are striker fired guns and are very simple to operate with relatively easy trigger pulls.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks so pretty much I shouldnt carry it in my purse.. hmm I dont wear dresses or skirts enough for a thigh holster and well an ankle one although its far for me. lol seems kind of out of the way so then what a pocket would be the next best place?
    Thanks for all the help as you can see Im new but very interested.
    :):

An inside the waistband holster would probably be a good way to go. There are plenty of youtube videos around for different carry options for women. I'm guessing pocket carry would be difficult the way most women's clothing is fitted.

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    An inside the waistband holster would probably be a good way to go. There are plenty of youtube videos around for different carry options for women. I'm guessing pocket carry would be difficult the way most women's clothing is fitted.

Yes so your saying that womens clothes are tight? LOL Just messing with ya you are right a pocket would be hard to conceal. I have given this one alot of thought just really unsure about it. But I will def look into the wasteband types and see what might fit best. Thanks for all the help :)

Top Bottom