• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A few years ago, I bought my wife a Ruger LCR .38 Special revolver. (She picked it out due to the great trigger.)

What make a revolver an essential part of a woman's daily attire, is that it can actually be fired from inside the purse toward an attacker without jamming.

rugerlcrchanel.jpg

I second this. Plus it is affordable, and simple.

If you can deal with a tad more complexity, and racking a slide, then get an automatic like the Shield, Nano, or the like. BUT, if you truly want a range gun equally as bad as a concealable gun, then get the M&P9C. Small guns are no fun to shoot, as mentioned, but the M&P compact is a full size gun, cut shorter, so you get the best of both worlds, and it is pure heaven to shoot at the range, not to mention twice as accurate! If you get an ultra compact gun as your first gun, then it might turn you off, but the M&P9C is guaranteed to turn you on. :-)

Last edited:

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    Somewhere under the rainbow
    I second this. Plus it is affordable, and simple.

If you can deal with a tad more complexity, and racking a slide, then get an automatic like the Shield, Nano, or the like. BUT, if you truly want a range gun equally as bad as a concealable gun, then get the M&P9C. Small guns are no fun to shoot, as mentioned, but the M&P compact is a full size gun, cut shorter, so you get the best of both worlds, and it is pure heaven to shoot at the range, not to mention twice as accurate! If you get an ultra compact gun as your first gun, then it might turn you off, but the M&P9C is guaranteed to turn you on. :-)

Now thats what Im talking about. I dont want anything thats going to turn me off. I've shot before dont get me wrong but this is my first actual gun buying experience. I want something that is gonna be fun to shoot as well. :)

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A lot of good suggestions - LCR, CW9, M&P9c, SR9c. I have also seen shooters with small hands do well with the Walther P380, especially if recoil of 9mm from a light gun seems a bit much to them.

You might be interested in reading Shelley Rae's posts on Gun Nuts - Concealed Carry Fashion: What to look for | Gun Nuts Media

I hate to wade into the Zimmerman issue, but my understanding is that his PF9 was recovered with an empty chamber and a full magazine - suggesting that it might have malfunctioned. I do know a lot of people who trust Kel-tec, but they would not be my first choice if I could afford something else.

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    A lot of good suggestions - LCR, CW9, M&P9c, SR9c. I have also seen shooters with small hands do well with the Walther P380, especially if recoil of 9mm from a light gun seems a bit much to them.

You might be interested in reading Shelley Rae's posts on Gun Nuts - Concealed Carry Fashion: What to look for | Gun Nuts Media

I hate to wade into the Zimmerman issue, but my understanding is that his PF9 was recovered with an empty chamber and a full magazine - suggesting that it might have malfunctioned. I do know a lot of people who trust Kel-tec, but they would not be my first choice if I could afford something else.
    Thanks for the site I will def read up on it.
    I have shot a Kel Tec which was actually my first handgun to shoot I wasnt all that impressed with it to tell you the truth. I just dont think it was for me anyway.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    My PF-9 works 100%, but it didn't always. I don't think I'd buy another, since for a few dollars more I could get the better built Kahr CM-9. The PF-9 is slim, trigger is decent for the type, and has been reliable for me at least.

My Wife shoots it some, and although definitely not a range gun, recoil is manageable for her. She shot a Kahr PM-9 a couple weeks ago, and really liked it. I will probably end up buying her one (or similar but $200 cheaper CM-9) soon.

She HATES shooting the LCP I bought her (I don't give it much range time either), but it does get carried frequently. Not fun to shoot, but very concealable and has been 100% reliable out of the box.

I guess if you only had one gun, I'd go with something small enough to conceal, but not so small and light as to be unpleasant to shoot.

Any modern handgun from a major manufacturer should be reliable. Handle and hopefully shoot as many makes and models as possible before making a decision.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I second or third the Ruger Sr9c suggestion. I also suggest you look at the Ruger LCP and the Ruger Lc9.

Now neither the LCP or the LC9 are fun range guns, but they are small and light enough to make them fairly easy to carry in a variety of ways.

There are bra holsters and even kangaroo style holsters to consider.
    Kangaroo Carry

or

Flashbang Women?s Holster

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I recently purchased a small taurus revolver for around 400 and chambered in 327mag it also is alot of firepower;my wife loves it by the way.Icarry a public defender ,probably a little large for what you want.

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    I recently purchased a small taurus revolver for around 400 and chambered in 327mag it also is alot of firepower;my wife loves it by the way.Icarry a public defender ,probably a little large for what you want.[/Q

I am thinking if I can get a deal that. Want to get 1 for the range and the house then one to carry. With being a single woman I have a lot to protect. I wasn't sure about carrying but I think I'm changing my mind.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    just a thought

I am thinking if I can get a deal that. Want to get 1 for the range and the house then one to carry. With being a single woman I have a lot to protect. I wasn't sure about carrying but I think I'm changing my mind.

IMHO It's always best to get the right gun for the right reason if you can afford it. In many ways a range gun and/or home defense gun may not have the same characteristics as a carry gun. Though, from what I hear the M&P Shield is a very good compromise between the two, though the mag capacity is a little low for range use.

I'd recommend a Springfield XDm for range use and or home defense, the grips get pretty small with the smallest backstrap on and they are built very well. Though a carry gun would by my first priority as it might serve all purposes if you're not planning on regular range shooting.

Shortpistol1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    IMHO It's always best to get the right gun for the right reason if you can afford it. In many ways a range gun and/or home defense gun may not have the same characteristics as a carry gun. Though, from what I hear the M&P Shield is a very good compromise between the two, though the mag capacity is a little low for range use.

I'd recommend a Springfield XDm for range use and or home defense, the grips get pretty small with the smallest backstrap on and they are built very well. Though a carry gun would by my first priority as it might serve all purposes if you're not planning on regular range shooting.

Yeah I need to find a few to play with to decide what Im going to get. :)

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    S&W 642 .38 spc, weighs 15 oz unloaded, hide it easily in your purse, with your hand in your purse, just point and pull the trigger, if you don't have time to use better methods.

Dave

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    Having more than one gun is ideal. A good HD gun and a good CCW aren't necessarily the same thing. There are however, many guns that work well enough for both.

I'm going to go against the grain and say no to revolvers here.

The smaller revolvers designed for CCW are just hard to get on target with the short sight radius and rather crappy sights.

I did carry a 2" barrel .38spl, and owned several other revolvers over the years.
    Haven't carried anything but autos for at least 10 years though. I haven't noticed any difference as far as reliability, autos are generally thinner and hold more rounds of ammunition, usually have better sights, and most are very easy to operate.

I recommend any modern 'safe-action' automatic (Glock, XD, M&P, etc.), or a DAO that has a decent trigger pull.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you know a shooting range in your area that also have guns rental, go try out the different guns they have. The only one you need is the one you can shoot well with confident. The rest, just all the whistles and bells depending on what you fancy.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Thanks so pretty much I shouldnt carry it in my purse.. hmm I dont wear dresses or skirts enough for a thigh holster and well an ankle one although its far for me. lol seems kind of out of the way so then what a pocket would be the next best place?
    Thanks for all the help as you can see Im new but very interested.
    :):

I don't "often" wear dresses or skirts either..............oh wait, did I say that out loud? :n00b:

Top Bottom