• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a windshield on my motorcycle start to get hazy and tried a headlight repair kit on it. Completely ruined the whole thing. And windshields on a Goldwing aren't cheap. In my desperation, I bought a bottle of Turtlewax Polishing Compound for less than $10. I used a buffing pad on my drill and worked that windshield for several hours. I was completely shocked when it came out as good as new!

I have tried the same thing on headlights with similar results, and it doesn't take more than a few minutes of buffing. Might be a good option for an easy/cheap fix.

First off, a Goldwing? Really? You have kids under 30. You can't own a Goldwing yet!

Second. The Turtle Wax rubbing then polishing compound method is great. I've used it several times with great success.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I replace the assemblies in my Toyota pickup for well under $100. The greatest amount of time was spent researching how to align the beams. It was pretty easy after finding the correct video on youtube.

Headlight repair of plastic lenses is a much less satisfying method of solving the problem.

Agreed. I have better things to do than wet sand and paint.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    CM: Mind sharing the Amazon link to the ones you've purchased?

I've cleaned my lenses 2x now. 1 time was manual only - 2nd time was using a buffer drill bit in my drill. Both products had "clear coat" sealers on them that I applied according to the directions. BOTH times the lenses re-yellowed again in a few short months.

I can get assemblies on Rock Auto for $60 per - but apparently they don't come with any innards. Probably isn't difficult to install - but if another part comes with the sockets already installed - for a few more bucks - that'd be a boon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CM: Mind sharing the Amazon link to the ones you've purchased?

I've cleaned my lenses 2x now. 1 time was manual only - 2nd time was using a buffer drill bit in my drill. Both products had "clear coat" sealers on them that I applied according to the directions. BOTH times the lenses re-yellowed again in a few short months.

I can get assemblies on Rock Auto for $60 per - but apparently they don't come with any innards. Probably isn't difficult to install - but if another part comes with the sockets already installed - for a few more bucks - that'd be a boon.

These are the ones I found.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G22G1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Several guys in the shop I work in swear by using Deep woods off to take the haze off headlights.
    I have used a headlight buffing kit from one of my tool venders that has worked pretty well. Back when police light bars had the red/ blue lenses I knew several guys that used bug spray and some claimed to use wd40. Personally never tried anything besides my buffing kit (just because I spent a fair amount for it)

Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    Masking tape, paper towels, spray bottle with water, 1000 grit sandpaper, Rubbing alcohol & Rustoleoum clear coat spray can in Enamel

Sand it gently and use a lot of water. I made the mistake of letting the oxidated particles get to a paste. Scratched the hell out out of a small section of one of the headlights.
    Rinse and repeat until the spray off isnt completely white in color. Dry it off completely.
    The headlights will still look hazy. Once you spray the clear coat on, they clear up completely.
    Did this over 2 years ago and they still look good as new.

If youre not comfortable with that, I've heard toothpaste with baking soda works...buts its only temporary

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well THAT was easy. 3 screws holding it in. And the unit came with new bulbs to boot! The only problem is these seem to have slightly thicker mounting flanges. So I had to reuse my old ones. 1 out of 3 screws would actually reach the threads of the clip nuts. It was either reuse my old ones or go buy slightly longer screws.

Quite the difference.

IMG_3949_sm.JPG

IMG_3950_sm.JPG

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's cheating. :D

After seeing how much time and effort it took, I decided to just suck it up and buy new. Especially since even after all the hard work they would possibly fog up again.

Less than 5 minutes a side. (not counting the fiddling with the clip nuts)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was in Harbor Freight today and I saw a headlight restoration kit for around $15. It included a special sanding pad that fits in a drill and several different scrubbing, sanding, and polishing pads.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine are around $150 a pop. Elbow grease it is.

Try avoiding the big box retailers like autozone. I thought mine were $160 each. NO BULBS. I paid FAAAAAAR less WITH bulbs.

Find my amazon link above and try working backwards. Or one of the other suggestions. You might find them cheaper by googling Dorman.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    $355 for one... the only one. :ugh:

Dorman doesn't seem to have them.

Thanks though. '07 Toyota with some apparently nice headlights.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You sold me. I had planned to repair also, but after finding a new set w/bulbs on eBay for $73 I ordered them.

My decision was made easier by the discovery of moisture in one assembly and that the other refuses to adjust because of a likely front corner tap before I owned the vehicle.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I used two different kits on the Trailblazer. One was from Menards, and was “As Seen on TV”, the other was the Mothers kit. The one from Menards did a better job.

However I still need to replace the lenses in the beast, they are just too scratched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom