• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    From what I've learned in the last few days, there is one home defense weapon that can never be topped. No matter how many guns you have ready to go for that one crucial moment when they are needed. What is this weapon? Well, my best home defense weapon is my 120 pound 1.5 year old rottweiler. Just the other day the UPS man knocked on my door, and it was all I could do to keep my rottie from running through the door. I have an invisible fence that covers my entire property. My rottweiler, Barney Fife, (I'm an andy griffith show addict. And I DO NOT keep a bullet in my pocket!) likes to sit on the front step, or right in the middle of the driveway and watch the cars go by. I live on a busy state road. And he gets several looks from people driving by. I can't see anyone wanting to take the chance to break in with this big boy. I'm expecting him to get to 130 pounds. He'll never run out of bullets too!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    There's nothing like a good dog. I'm more of a bird dog (lab) guy myself, but Rots are pretty cool. Unfortunately we have 3 dogs right now - border collie, blue heeler, and an old lab that bark at nothing all night long lol. Does he bark at nothing at night? Does he wake you up when he barks?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Even the small dogs are very keen to things that seem out of place. Great alarm systems.

But I like a big loyal rottwieler or shepard mix if I had the time for them.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I love Rotties. Pami likes these better though.
    rust-doberman-with-black-doberman1.jpg

Of those two I'm partial to the red :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    He's a rottweiler. He never barks unless there's a reason. He's very quiet unless we're playing tug o' war. I can be playing with him, and if he hears anything from outside, someone pulling in the driveway to turn around, a dog or cat in our yard, recently its coyotes, he will not let me touch him unless he checks the windows and doors. He won't bark or anything, just check it out. If its ok, then he's ready to play again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed dogs are the best alarm system available. I really miss my old dog of 13 years. Great family protector. It was a sad day when we had to make that one way trip to the vet. Now I have an absolutely worthless mutt. Only good thing about the new dog is that she is great with the kids, but no protective nature.

Lilsoup

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    We used to have a Pomeranian, best doorbell we ever had, if anyone other than the wife, or myself, so much as put a tire in the driveway, or backyard, we new about it. We took her with us to visit the wifes family, A house down the street caught fire, she barked, and barked , until the wife woke up, little **** was sitting by the window, letting her know that something was wrong. By far not the biggest dog in the world, but she had one hell of a sense of awareness.

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    Above post is right on, we inherited a Pom, tolerant as all get out, but we KNEW when a strange car pulled up...or a pedestrian.

And that stupid little dog could be as viscious as a small dog could be..

ankle-bitin' bastage....

Also, this was one dog that had a bizarre trait, could not be bought with food, not bacon, not steak, not anything...it would snub its' freaky lil' nose at anything.....I hate to admit it, but I miss the little sheet-head.

I am OuT ...;)

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    +1 for the little dogs. I have a 100 lb lab outside, great watchdog he can tell when a vehicle pulls of the gravel road on to our 1/4 mile long driveway(alert). But my little 5 lb Rat Terrier can hear a mouse fart-if she starts barking at night I get up and check things out.(alarm)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I have three cats and and an old deaf pug. Not a one is any good for security! :D

When I come through the door, the dog has no idea I'm in the room and the cats just look at me with that snotty 'What have you done for ME today?' look!

Last year, I had a great dane for six months. My wife couldn't adjust to the dane so it came down to a choice between the dog and my wife. I figure she had been with me 30 years so she had senority! :)

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I've got a 50 lb mutt that alerts me the second anyone pulls up, or starts up the stairs (second floor apartment). Actually gets kind of annoying after a while, but he will be sure to let me know if something isn't right.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    As many have said...a good dog is hard to beat...but the combination of a good dog, a pump 12 ga shotgun with illumination device, and a cell phone would cover just about any domestic threat. Heck...just the combined sounds of a big dog barking, a shotgun racking, and a cell phone dialing should do it!:D

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    We have an ankle biter, you know, the mexican breed that I can't spell. That thing will bark if a vehicle pulls into the driveway 100+ yards away from the house. That, in turn gets the black lab, white german shepard, and rotweiler mix mutt going. So it can get loud if something isn't right. And the ankle biter still won't come to me and get food, and we have had him for a couple years. He is the one that would actually bite someone, but the other three are all 75lbs or bigger, and look intimidating to someone who isn't familiar with them!

Top Bottom