• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Well I'm no expert but I've always had goodluck going an hour or two before dark. What are you using to call? and do you have an idea of where they'll be coming from?

I sit in a tree stand and generally know where their going to come from a certain side of the tree line against the feild. I use a general caller from Basspro with different tapes.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    For a new coyote hunter I would say night time would give you the best chance. The darkness covers up alot of rookie mistakes.

I prefer to hunt 2 or three hours before dark then if I'm excited I might come backed from nine or ten until midnight.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The very best for me has been a full moon with clear skys and snow cover. So that narrows it down to about one night a year with those conditions. I rem 870 with 3 inch #4 buck and hand calls.

Second best is right when the combines come in to harvest crops. I have seen coyotes follow the harvestors from field to field picking off anything that gets hurt.

Other than that you can do it any time of day. In full sun they will lay up on the south side of a hill out of the winds. Use a rifle that you can hit them at about 200 if you jump one they normally stop and look back at least once.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The easiest time to kill it about daylight. At that time the coyotes still out hunting are the poor basta*** that has had no luck all night and are very hungry. they will come to about any call. Next best time is about dusk. they are just getting up and are hungry and looking for a quick meal. But will not take just any old hurt rabbit sound at this time. The ones in the middle of the afternoon has had no luck at all in finding food and they have traveled 5-10 miles looking for a bite to eat. On a full moon they can see exceptionally well. Any mistake you make just make the hunter look bad as they stand back at a distance barking at you. Around and hour after the dim moon rises seem to be the hunters best time. At this time it seems the coyotes will cross a field diagonally, which does not happen in the daytime if he is smart. After dark pay close attention to the shadows, this is where they tend to stay. Kinda light playing flashlight tag when you were a kid. Above all, hunt downwind and try to put the sun at your back close to sunset. Coyotes seem to avoid looking toward the sun just like we do. Try to send a a locating sound. Then wait about 5 minutes for a respond. If you do not get any response, go to your next stand. Just like deer hunting, but not as critical, always try to be up high in a stand. remember most animals don't look up unless the see movement. I rambled long enough. I hope this paragraph helps.:twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I went out this early a.m. with the rabbit in distress call an the AR which will reach out to 340 yds. Hunted in a brush pile out in a field......then later tried a deer stand. The best I've ever done is 3 coyotes over a week period awhile back during gun season for deer. Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom