• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Many shooters I have talked to say they have taken their skill to the next level and save money by joining a Conservation Club and enjoying the outofdoors. They say it is Less money, less restrictions, healthier and safer. Any thoughts?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've shot at Indy Trading Post, Point Blank in Greenwood, and Parabellum in Avon.

(It's been so long since I've shot at "Pop Guns" it's not worth mentioning)

PB has very very well lit and ventilated ranges. I like that they have an RO wandering the backs of the firing lines while there are shooters present.

ITP: It's been a while since I've been there - but I do not think they have any "live" ROs on/near the shooting lines.

Parabellum: I do not recall an RO walking the line the 1 time that I was there. However - they're the only place in the city that'll allow drawing from a holster (If the range is full, they may not allow it). Also well-lit and well ventilated.

As of yet, I've not had a chance to get to Indy Arms. Soon, though, I hope. It's close to my office so if I ever have a half-day of work, I'm planning on heading over. Plus Shooter521 works there and he's a good dude.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Many shooters I have talked to say they have taken their skill to the next level and save money by joining a Conservation Club and enjoying the outofdoors. They say it is Less money, less restrictions, healthier and safer. Any thoughts?

If you have one nearby that isn't too hard to join, than I agree. Of course, during inclement weather, indoor ranges are still nice.

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.

Just personal choice is that I do like Deer Creek Conservation Club. Outdoors is great, very relaxed. Not to say there are not rules, but for the most part, not busy or congested. A much more relaxed atmosphere overall. Not as great during the winter months, but we have had some great winter days to shoot this last couple of years.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    My vote goes to point blank. They have always been nice and the range is clean. They also allow reloads. Indy arms is closer but no reloads is a deal breaker for me. Plus the last time I was in Indy arms, they had a sign that said 15% off of reloading supplies. The 15% off sign had a picture of brass on it. So I go to purchase some once fired brass and the guy behind the counter said that brass didn't count as reloading supplies and won't have the 15% discount! I left without the brass and haven't been back since. Just didn't seem right to me!

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm 5 minutes from Point Blank in Carmel. They have a nice 30 minute lunch special that I take advantage of every few weeks. I buy my own targets online, but they have a good selection there and relatively cheap.

If I load up all my magazines ahead of time, I can go in there and run quite a few drills within 30 minutes. In and out and still get back to the office to eat my lunch in under an hour.

Everyone has been nice and respectful, every RSO has been nice and respectful. Probably easy to see when someone knows what they are doing versus the people who struggle to get all the rounds on paper at 10 yards (yes, saw this last week).

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I considered joining MCFG but it's very cost prohibitive. If I remember right the first year's cost is $75 for dues and a $50 processing/initiation fee. Plus you have to attend 2 classes put on by associates of the range at $100 each. That's $325 for the first year. The numbers may be off some but they are close.

I belonged to MCFG for 2 or 3 years, and really loved it. The last year I was a member, I didn't get to go very often due to work schedules and family stuff, so I considered not joining again. Then I mistakenly let my membership lapse, and found out you had to pay out the nose to join again, and go to mandatory classes, which I wouldn't be able to do because of work. So that settled it for me.

I do miss being able to spend as much time as I want without worrying about the clock, though.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm 5 minutes from Point Blank in Carmel. They have a nice 30 minute lunch special that I take advantage of every few weeks. I buy my own targets online, but they have a good selection there and relatively cheap.

If I load up all my magazines ahead of time, I can go in there and run quite a few drills within 30 minutes. In and out and still get back to the office to eat my lunch in under an hour.

Everyone has been nice and respectful, every RSO has been nice and respectful. Probably easy to see when someone knows what they are doing versus the people who struggle to get all the rounds on paper at 10 yards (yes, saw this last week).

I want to run drills late next week. Let me know if you want to head over. You know I can see your car in their lot when you go without me right? :draw:

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    If your willing to go to avon, Parabellum is a pretty good range. As long as you go after 1300 (1100 to 1300 is discounted lunchtime pricing) you pretty much avoid all the idiots.

Top Bottom