• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am new to hunting. I have been a couple times and borrowed all the clothing on those trips.

I think its time to invest in my own hunting clothing. I am planning on getting some Carhartt insulated overalls for the lower part, but I am still not sure what to get for the upper outerwear. I thought about getting a Carhartt coat, but they don't come in camo (not a complete deal breaker), they aren't really designed for hunting, aren't waterproof, and they aren't quite as warm as some of the nice parkas out there. On the other hand, they are tough as nails and can be used for any kind of outdoor work without fear of tearing it or messing it up.

So, should I go with a Carhartt coat or look at some of the more high-tech parkas? If you prefer the coats made for hunting, which ones do you prefer and why?

I would like it to be warm enough for late season deer. I would also like it to be as durable as possible. I don't want to buy another one in the next 10-20 years. I'm still wearing a Columbia Titanium parka that I have had for 15 years and it is still in great condition. However it doesn't see anything I would consider hard use.

Thanks for all the input!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using Wally World specials for the last 10 years and they are ok, but very bulky and not very adaptable for changing condiditons. I am also a year round cyclist and didn't skimp on my winter gear for that and if I use it correctly I am always comfortable, which leads me to recommending some of the newer technical gear that has the wind, water and scent technology. If I wasn't so cheap for clothes I only use 20 or so days per year I would have the good stuff.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    For cold weather I have a wool coat from Gander, this time of year most stuff is %50 off and I love it. Cool weather I have a light insulated coat... I wear but don't get too wrapped up in having to have Camo clothing.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Under Armour all the way.....
    Everything I wear into the woods with the exception of my backpack and boots are Under Armour. I stay warm and dry I stay flexible because the clothes are not bulky. Everything has been extremely durable and I would buy it all again if I had too.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I just got back into hunting this year and needed everything. I bought a 3n1 parka "Guide Series" from Gander Mountain and the matching pants. I give it an A+++++++++++++++++ I was out in snow, rain, wind and sunny weather and everything performed well. I was NEVER cold or wet, even when I was on the wet ground for hours sitting my legs were warm and dry. I did wear a Russell Athletic cotton/poly liner in the pants. I only needed the outer shell of the jacket and wore a under armor type long sleeve shirt and t shirt and I was perfectly warm in 30 degree temps. This system also has wind block and sent control.

Last edited:

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Forgot to mention I only paid 189.00 for the whole set. Keep in mind, and this is specific to each person, dress in layers. Me personally, I could never wear any insulated pants due to the fact I walk around and the last thing you want is to get sweaty then your freezing when you stop. Check out that Guide Series, you won't be disappointed!

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Medalist Silvermax Anchorage I have coat and bottoms I bought a set a few years ago and have been in love ever since. Guarantee you will not be disappointed in spending the money.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Camo and color are unimportant. Get something that is warm and waterproof and quiet and use some sort of scent and u.v. killing wash and you'll be set. I wear a blaze orange Guide Series Parka, and Field and Stream brand insulated waterproof bibs. Smart Wool socks and water proof boots. And don't put your hunting boots on until you're ready to walk into the woods. You don't want to drag the smell of the gas station parking lot to your tree stand.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

I think I am going to get bibs that are waterproof instead of Carhartts. It's not like I do much work outside in the winter, so it might as well be made for hunting.

Anyone have experience with Columbia stuff? I love the coat I have from them, so I was thinking about looking at their hunting gear.

kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    +1 on the Cabela's gear... I was lucky and caught a sale on their Cabela's Silent Suede™ Extreme 4-in-1 Parka with Scent-Lok Cabela's: Cabela's Silent Suede™ Extreme 4-in-1 Parka with Scent-Lok®
    I also picked up the unisulated bibs.
    I'm a firm believer in layers... its Indiana... its not always cold out... sometimes its cold in the morning but warms up in the afternoon... being able to adapt and be comfortable goes a long way if you like spending a lot of hours out in the woods.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County

I think I am going to get bibs that are waterproof instead of Carhartts. It's not like I do much work outside in the winter, so it might as well be made for hunting.

Anyone have experience with Columbia stuff? I love the coat I have from them, so I was thinking about looking at their hunting gear.

I would agree with you for certain, get a pair of waterproof bibs instead of the Carhartts. The waterproof will be worth it the first time you have to sit on a soggy log or against a tree. I'll throw a disclaimer out: even the best, most expensive "waterproof" clothes will still soak through the butt when sitting on the ground, a small cushion/stool (for turkey hunting) helps a TON. Most hunting bibs will hold up to brush fairly well (not as good as Carhartt )

For coat/parka I would get the 4 in 1, waterproof type, where you can wear the different layers separately. They are good for early season all the way through late winter. Layers underneath the parka go a long way.

I've used the Guide Series stuff from gander mtn, and they seem good so far. They have held up well through the first few seasons use. Columbia makes good products so i'm sure their stuff is nice, It's just always been a little too $ for me. I have some "Rocky" bibs that have been through hell and back, still warm and dry, even though the camo has somewhat faded.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I personally like my Under Armour coat. It has built in patch throughs for your harness, quite a few pockets, scent control stuff, and is warm.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have had good luck with Bass Pro Redhead stuff, Bibs and coat. Right now I am using the redhead bibs on year five and a Scent shield waterproof coat from Dicks. I don't think I paid higher than 55.00 for any of the pieces I have had.

I spent more money on a good wool/poly base layer which has been key for me.

When its cold I use a base, cotton turtleneck, camo sweatshirt and coat. If it warms up I peal off the coat.

I was having issues with cold feet and someone on here suggested to focus more on keeping your core warm would impact the feet. Thats when I layed the money down on the base layer and all things changed. I was using some cheap fruit of the loom poly base layer and the new stuff made all the difference.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Layers are important. That gives you versatility in warmth. I rarely hunt in anything as warm as a parka or coat. Usually a jacket with appropriate layers underneath. I only wear bibs when it's really cold. You don't want to overheat on the walk in, get sweaty, and then sit there moist and shivering for the rest of the morning. YMMV.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I buy technical clothing in whatever color I want (usually forest green because I like it), and wear a 3D bug suit over it. I used to work at one of the yuppie outdoor stores (think REI) and the fact of the matter is better stuff is made for hikers and climbers than hunters, but it's not camo. The way around that is to wear that stuff and put your camo over the top of it.

RedHead® 3D Bug Jacket for Men | Bass Pro Shops

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I picked up some Arctic Shield bibs and jacket this year and that stuff is no joke. It is warm, quite, and water and wind proof. One piece of advice though DO NOT walk to your hunting location in it because you will sweat a lot, even more so than other warm clothing.

I sat out in it one day for about 6 hours, it was 7 out before wind chill and I was fine, my feet got a little cold but the Arctic Shield did its job. All I had on under it was a Hunter Specialty heavy base layer.

Also, get a decent base layer and a good hand warmer. I use a hand warmer because I do not like shooting my bow with gloves on.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I ordered a Columbia jacket shell that was on a really good sale. Once I get it, if I like it, I will probably order the liner jacket that zips into it. If it is close to the same quality of my Titanium jacket, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Now I need bibs, but I want to actually try those on before buying. I have enough Columbia items to know what size I need for a jacket, but all the bibs appear to be sold in S/M/L/XL rather than waist/inseam, so who knows.

Top Bottom