• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a set of Chicago Cutlery that I got back in about 2003 that I have been using faithfully for over a decade now and I think it's time to replace them. The ones I have are wooden handled knives and I don't really have any complaints about them other than the wood is much worse for wear than I would like so I am in the market for my next set. Considering that I expect to get a decade or more worth of use out of them, I don't mind paying for good quality knives. So, what are some brands I should be looking at?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The best in my opinion for the money are the shun kitchen knives. They can be had for reasonable price. However for the money the esee/Becker kitchen knives are awesome. They aren't the best blade steel and might require a few more touch ups on the edge than the shuns but you can score a set for like 55-60 dollars. Knifelady had them on sale not to long ago for around that. 4 knives. Nice handles good thin grinds. Great warranty. Hard to beat for the money IMO and this is coming from me with a ton of custom kitchen knives where each one costs more than the whole esee set.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    henckles

eta i see chezuki beat me to it. and he is right, the lower end ones you won't be happy with.

p.s. my chicago cutlery set is about 14 years old and still going strong.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The best in my opinion for the money are the shun kitchen knives. They can be had for reasonable price. However for the money the esee/Becker kitchen knives are awesome. They aren't the best blade steel and might require a few more touch ups on the edge than the shuns but you can score a set for like 55-60 dollars. Knifelady had them on sale not to long ago for around that. 4 knives. Nice handles good thin grinds. Great warranty. Hard to beat for the money IMO and this is coming from me with a ton of custom kitchen knives where each one costs more than the whole esee set.

+1 on Shun, but as someone who used knives professionally for many years, I cannot recommend the "ESEE" branded knives. I used them very briefly when a co-worker picked up a set and they did not hold up well at all. They are almost identical to the generic cheapo NSF commercial kitchen knives you can pick up from GFS or Ed Don.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Cutco. $99 for a serrated bread knife. I had to buy them. My daughter was selling them. Great quality. This is the other daughter, not the one that walked away from the head on you responded to.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Shun
    Global
    Wusthof
    Henkel's. single man made brazil, double man made in Germany.
    MAC

Those are mass produced name that professionals kitchens use.
    But there are a ton custom Japanese knives that surpass those, not much more cost or same as the above.

Such as this
    Blacksmith TAKEDA from Japan

Takeda shop has been in business since the 1920's. I met Shosui Takeda at blade show. His knives were so light compared to the others listed.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cutco. $99 for a serrated bread knife. I had to buy them. My daughter was selling them. Great quality. This is the other daughter, not the one that walked away from the head on you responded to.

:+1: Ours are now on their 43rd year. Were sent back for free sharpening in 1995. Still cutting tomatoes without a hitch.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    +1 on Shun, but as someone who used knives professionally for many years, I cannot recommend the "ESEE" branded knives. I used them very briefly when a co-worker picked up a set and they did not hold up well at all. They are almost identical to the generic cheapo NSF commercial kitchen knives you can pick up from GFS or Ed Don.

I have had mine for over a year now and they are very solid knives for the money imo. I use knives daily also and these blades get used for about 2 meals a day. and they have been great for my wife (she uses them as she doesn't like to hand wash knives so she can't use my shuns)`. I run them on the steel and strop twice a week. and that's with them going through the dishwasher. are they shun's? hell no but they also cost nothing either.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have had mine for over a year now and they are very solid knives for the money imo. I use knives daily also and these blades get used for about 2 meals a day. and they have been great for my wife (she uses them as she doesn't like to hand wash knives so she can't use my shuns)`. I run them on the steel and strop twice a week. and that's with them going through the dishwasher. are they shun's? hell no but they also cost nothing either.

Coming from commercial kitchens, that's what I use as a reference. Those did not hold up to that kind of use. It's kind of like choosing a rifle, you don't intent to go to war with it, but it's nice to know the one you choose would handle it if you did.

1 high-end 8" Chef's knife or Santoku will do 95% of any knife work a home cook is likely to perform. I'd choose a 8" Shun over a full set of most knives.

VUPD said he doesn't mind paying for good quality, so I'd recommend doing just that one piece at a time starting with what's most useful.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll third Chezuki. I use a 7 inch santoku for almost everything. The only other knife that gets use is a 12 inch scimitar knife. My Santoku is a Henkel four star that I've had for twenty years.

I've also used Kasumi which makes titanium coated Santokus. Very nice knife, but I always end up going back to my Henkels.

Last edited:

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I've been using Kyocera ceramic knives for vegetables and the like. The blades stay sharp for years as long as you keep them away from hard objects, like meat with bones. For tough stuff, I'd stick with a good Santoku; they're probably the most versatile out there.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Here is a report on some of the knives mentioned: Chef's Knives Rated - Equipment & Gear - Cooking For Engineers
    This is a good article and worth reading all of it. I have been in the restaurant biz for over 30 and owned just about
    every brand of knife. I personally like the Mac and the Miyabi over the Shun's.

If you are looking for a custom made set: blade steel, handle material, pins, bolsters, edge geometry, etc. I do build
    custom chef knives. I am currently working on 2 sets for 2 country music personalities to be finished soon. Here are
    the current designs that they specified:
    photo1-4.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

If you have any questions about production or custom chef knives, feel free to contact me via PM.
    Best of luck on your hunt, Troy

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I got a set of Henckels in 2002 as a wedding gift. They are still as good as Day 1, and they get regular use. Not all of them, but there are some that get used almost every day. I can't say they are better than others as I haven't been able to compare, but 12 years and as good as the day I opened them.

Top Bottom