• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have used a set of Henckels for over 10 years and they are as good as new. My Dad was a meat cutter most all of his life. I worked at Emge Packing company in Ft Branch for 10 years. We used Chicago Cutlery when I was at Emge's. The Henckels are by far a better knife than the Chicago Cutlery. Cutco is a better choice and if money was no object then id go with Cutco.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do have cutcos. I bought 7 knives for $9.00 @ goodwill. Cutco knives arengood knives, but they are over priced new for what you get. Chefs say shuns are over priced new as well. But with shun you can get good deal from retailers, cutco you cant. I have double man henkiels as well.

This is our main knife( me and the girlfriend). Shun Fuji 6". Its a williams and sonama exclusive that we got on sale online last sumner for $160 shipped. At the time I had never seen it below $275 on sale. It always like $400 in store. The reason we chose the fuji line is because it fit both of our hands. Mine being large and hers being small, the hexagonal shaped fit both us better. Plus it looks cool.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's a kitchen store at the Greenwood mall - they carry Henkles & Wustoff. You can "handle" a few different lines from each manufacturer there.

It's in the "outdoor" section of the mall on the north side near the big fountain.

-J-

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Our Chicago Cutlery set is about 32 years old and still doing good. I never put them in a dishwasher....
    I do have one big Henkel Chef's knife that I use occasionally.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My problem with the Cutco knives is that I can not meander into a store and put my hands on them like I can with the Wustoff, Henckels, etc.... and I don't like to buy sight unseen.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    in my limited experience with cutco knives, they did seem to be high quality. i put myself through college working in restaurants and country club kitchens, and one of the chefs had quite a few cutco knives in his box.

Eaglesfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Northeast
    It's kind of personal preference as to what kind of knife you want. I'm not going to come here and try to tell you that cutco is "the world's finest cutlery" like the company says it is, because for some people it isn't. The biggest selling point as far as the blade goes is the "double d" edge that cutco uses. If you're all in on straight edges, you probably shouldn't get cutco. There are a couple straight edges with cutco, but the majority of the knives use their "double d" edge, which is kind of the best of both worlds since it cuts clean like a straight edge, but with the ease of a serrated edge. If you go like 15-20 years without getting a cutco sharpened(they sharpen for free; even the double d; If they can't refurbish it to like-new condition, they give you a new knife), you can actually see how the back looks like a straight edge, but the front is serrated.

As far as the feel goes, I have never come across anybody who didn't like the way the knife felt in their hand. Cutco uses a wedge-lock handle and it conforms to any hand. On the off chance that you didn't like the knife or the feel, you could send it back for a full refund within 15 days, but I'm pretty sure the return shipping would be on you.

Eaglesfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Northeast
    Just noticed my original reply saying I was a rep got taken down. I apologize if I did something against the forum rules, I was just trying to let you know what I could do if you were to look at cutco. I never intended to cause any problems with your forum or do anything that you prohibit.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just noticed my original reply saying I was a rep got taken down. I apologize if I did something against the forum rules, I was just trying to let you know what I could do if you were to look at cutco. I never intended to cause any problems with your forum or do anything that you prohibit.

They have rules for advertising.

Make sure to check out the FAQs.
    Everyone here has made a blooper.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    The main knives I use in the kitchen are a Cold Steel Roach Belly I accidentally broke the tip off and the Cold Steel Western Hunter I ended up with two of through gifts. They work great for me and hold an edge well.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I think Henckels are a good compromise for most of us non-professionals. Get a German one, don't put it in a dishwasher and it will last decades. My 8" Chef is from '95 and works great. There are undoubtedly better knives out there, but at four or five times the price of the Henckels you get into the area of diminishing returns.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was lucky (or unlucky?) enough to get a butt-load of OT this month, which is still not over. Barring any unforseen circumstances, I will probably be treating myself to a set of German Henckels and a (medium) Big Green Egg.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    1 high-end 8" Chef's knife or Santoku will do 95% of any knife work a home cook is likely to perform. I'd choose a 8" Shun over a full set of most knives.

Wise. With a single great parer, a great chef's knife, and a decent cleaver, you have 99% of your needs covered.

Three fantastic knives beats a dozen mediocre ones every time!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've been using Kyocera ceramic knives for vegetables and the like. The blades stay sharp for years as long as you keep them away from hard objects, like meat with bones. For tough stuff, I'd stick with a good Santoku; they're probably the most versatile out there.
    I liked my Kyocera back when it was sharp. My wife is not exactly conscientious about blade care-- at all. She doesn't see the value in a premium knife. Maybe because you're always ruining the edges on hard surfaces and running the knives through the dishwasher?:xmad:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I liked my Kyocera back when it was sharp. My wife is not exactly conscientious about blade care-- at all. She doesn't see the value in a premium knife. Maybe because you're always ruining the edges on hard surfaces and running the knives through the dishwasher?:xmad:

My step-mother was excited to show me the $200 Henckels Chef's knife she bought after taking my advice of "one great knife is better than a drawer full of mediocre knives". I cringed as she immediately started chopping celery on a GLASS cutting board!! :facepalm:

Top Bottom