• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    In my ongoing effort to prep I bought a book called, "Knots the complete visual guide." Lots of info with step by step tying instructions. I'd like to hear from folks to see if anyone has a specific knot that is good most of the time. I'm finding the info a bit overwhelming and was curios to hear from others.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The figure 8 series (on a bight, followthrough), the double overhand bend, the ring bend, the trucker's hitch, the bowline (with backup), the clove hitch, the prusik, the butterfly knot, and the taughtline hitch.

All of those will cover almost everything you might encounter in life. Except the taughtline hitch those are the ones we require our students to learn for rescue.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    For climbing, the Prusik hitch or the Blake's hitch with a figure-8. For rigging the Bowline or Running Bowline, Girth hitch, Clove hitch, and the Slip Knot.

During the Warmer months we do a lot of tree removals. The majority of the time a type of Bowline is used ( running bowline, double bowline, sheet bend, or bowline on a bight). I like it because it's quick to tie and easy to untie after being loaded.

When I'm boating I use a Girth hitch or Slip knot mostly.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    palomar knot. while i most use it for fishing, ive NEVER had one come undone in ANY use. simple and easy. i was taught it 20 years ago, ONCE, and never forgot it.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    It sounds like the bowline is a good start for me. I like the idea of an app however, were trying to learn via hands on. My oldest daughter got me thinking when she said she has been reading her survial book and thinks she is read to create a snare. It got me thinking I really need to learn some good knots first.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Improved_Clinch_Knot.gif

This is the knot we use while fishing, the palomar looks interesting also as I've never seen it before. Have only had the improved cinch come undone twice, once was using 4lb test on a bigger fish on an ultralight rod. Second was getting stuck on a stump :(

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    The Bowline, figure 8, and clove hitch are the ones I use most frequently. The figure 8 in multiple configurations ( on a bite, follow through).

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Improved_Clinch_Knot.gif

This is the knot we use while fishing, the palomar looks interesting also as I've never seen it before. Have only had the improved cinch come undone twice, once was using 4lb test on a bigger fish on an ultralight rod. Second was getting stuck on a stump :(

Used to use this but found the polamar knot and have used it since. (20 years ago) Much easier to tie and almost 100% for strength.
    8 Tips on How to Tie a Palomar Knot - wikiHow

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Just as important to know how to tie knots, is also where they are best applicable. Some knots, hitches, or bends work well under some circumstances but not others.

After tieing up some wood and then an attempt to tie cardboard boxes together it bacame very appearant the importance this simple task requires thought. My firewood fell all over the place and my cardboard boxes suddently learned how to fly!

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The only knot I can ever remember is the canadian jam knot. It's handy for attaching stuff to your backpack like your tent, sleeping bag, etc

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is that knots weaken the rope at the point of the knot. Fortunately, most people will NEVER be in a position to see what detriments can happen because of this. But it is good to keep in the back of your mind.

The strongest is a splice. The strongest knots are Figure eight follow through, blood knot, flemish bend. The weakest is overhand knot, overhand bend. Even the Bowline weakens a rope around 40%.

Mentioned several times in this thread is a Prusik. It is a very good hitch to know and is the basis for many other hitches. Another one we use all the time when rigging aerial perfomers, stuntmen, etc is the Klemheist hitch. It is a very good, one way friction hitch. It very easily slides one way against the rope it is tied around, yet very securely grips the rope when weight is applied to it. While the rope is still supervised, we fly & 'hang' a female performer upside down while being held with a Klemheist hitch.

Here is the Klemheist in action in the 'slide' position. The hitch moves with the rope and rests against the sheave(pulley). The rope then continues to pass through the hitch as we fly a performer, raise a load, etc.
    photo13v.jpg

Here is the Klemheist in the 'grip' position. Weight from our performer or load pulls the main rope, the hitch moves with the rope until it is taunt from the carabiner. The hitch grips the rope and the performer or load will not drop any lower.
    photo23wc.jpg

Another useful skill is knowing how to make a Flemish Eye with wire rope. This is a hand splice. It is extremely easy to make with no tools necessary and is very strong.
    photo13hv.jpg

Hope that helps.

photo13hv.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I use the palomar knot. It is easy to tie and it works very well with mono line. I don't know about braided.

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    As a knot n00b I picked this up on Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0922273227/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00]PROKNOT Outdoor Knots: John E. Sherry: 9780922273225: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It's 17 all-purpose knots printed on small plastic cards.

Top Bottom