• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mustangjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Jamestown
    I have decided to build my own AR-15. I like the idea of knowing how the gun works and how to assemble and disassemble. I also like the idea of buying what I want up front without having to customize later.

Ok my first question. I am looking for and kinda sold on the Del-Ton lower receiver, either stripped or complete (haven't decided). I have only been able to find it online and would have to have it shipped to a store. My local store and the guys I like dealing with carry Black Forge & US Auto complete lowers. Is there that much difference and can some who know give me some recommendations? Thanks in advance for everyone's help. This site is a huge awesome wealth of knowledge!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I'll likely get some lashings here for saying it, but a decent quality receiver by any name will build you a fine rifle. That goes for uppers too.
    Spend your cash on the barrel; that's where it counts.

Now on to the, "I have a XXXXX and it's awesome" replies......

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'll likely get some lashings here for saying it, but a decent quality receiver by any name will build you a fine rifle. That goes for uppers too.

:+1: I would stay away from polymer lowers. Just my preference.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

This. Unless you're headed into direct immediate combat or going straight to matches, 99% of the lowers out there will work perfectly for you!

mustangjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Jamestown
    Thanks guys, I really would rather support my local store than an online store. Just my preference. Does it pay to get one complete or build the lower myself?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks guys, I really would rather support my local store than an online store. Just my preference. Does it pay to get one complete or build the lower myself?

You can get them fairly cheap here in Indiana at AGS Armament | Lower Receivers/Frames . You will save $$ if you assemble yourself assuming you have the correct tools. Roll pin punch set, hammer, needle nose pliars, armorers wrench and upper receiver vice block or effective substitute. You can assemble a lower in 2hrs or less. Takes me 45min or less now....ive done quite a few though.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    You can get them fairly cheap here in Indiana at AGS Armament | Lower Receivers/Frames . You will save $$ if you assemble yourself assuming you have the correct tools. Roll pin punch set, hammer, needle nose pliars, armorers wrench and upper receiver vice block or effective substitute. You can assemble a lower in 2hrs or less. Takes me 45min or less now....ive done quite a few though.

^^ Tru dat (couldn't resist). I'll +1 AGS also, great guys to deal with!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You probably don't want to hear this, but of all the stripped lowers I've ever used for an assembly the Del-Ton was the only one I ever had a real problem with. Something was off with the rear take down pin. Either the receiver was too thick back there, or the dent hole was drilled just a few thousands off, but the rear detent wouldn't fully seat in any of the three different rear takedown pins that I tried. I ended up giving the rear takedown pin a little bit of sweet loving with a dremel and it didn't take much, but now it seats as it should. I'm not trying to scare you off of Del-Ton either, but just giving you a heads up. I've beat the crap out of Del-Ton Dissy kit that I put together and it's never had a hickup. They make a nice rifle, but you'll find when you start to assemble these things that there is some degree to fine tuning each one.

I've put together enough PSA stripped lowers without issue that if Obama knew the count he'd try to ban my kitchen table. I've never had an issue with anything PSA, but I'll also agree with many here that the guys at AGS are good people and worthy of supporting.

mustangjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Jamestown
    You probably don't want to hear this, but of all the stripped lowers I've ever used for an assembly the Del-Ton was the only one I ever had a real problem with. Something was off with the rear take down pin. Either the receiver was too thick back there, or the dent hole was drilled just a few thousands off, but the rear detent wouldn't fully seat in any of the three different rear takedown pins that I tried. I ended up giving the rear takedown pin a little bit of sweet loving with a dremel and it didn't take much, but now it seats as it should. I'm not trying to scare you off of Del-Ton either, but just giving you a heads up. I've beat the crap out of Del-Ton Dissy kit that I put together and it's never had a hickup. They make a nice rifle, but you'll find when you start to assemble these things that there is some degree to fine tuning each one.

I've put together enough PSA stripped lowers without issue that if Obama knew the count he'd try to ban my kitchen table. I've never had an issue with anything PSA, but I'll also agree with many here that the guys at AGS are good people and worthy of supporting.
    Actually I do want to hear. I am switching over from paintball to real toys as my older age doesn't allow me to run and gun anymore. I appreciate the advice and info of those who have been there done that!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've built a bunch too and never had much trouble with any of them. Stick with the bigger name brands and you'll probably be fine. If you're buying local, take a P-Mag and regular GI mag with you to see how well they fit into the mag well. Put your $ into bolt & barrel.

A couple billet ones with integrated trigger guards really catch my eye though. Seekins and Noveske are a couple of the nicer looking ones IMO.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Indy Trading Post is a Delton dealer, that's where I bought my stripped lower awhile back. No problems building it up, but I've not yet attached an upper assembly. I'd stick with a name that is well-known (Delton, Spikes, Rock River, Doublestar.....and on and on), but beyond that, I really think that a lower is a lower is a lower.

mustangjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Jamestown
    Had a great a experience yesterday at US Defense Solutions. Bought a Spikes lower receiver and Rock River kit to put it all together. Great guys to deal with. Made me feel like family. Well worth the drive! They will be seeing me again and again! Now time to get to work and my new toy.

Top Bottom