• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I have used tapco magazines they have been reliable in all three of my ak’s . The metal com bloc magazines were very loose fitting in 2 of the ak’s . magpul is also a good choice .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    fixed the title. but 47....
    I have a dog's breakfast of stuff but I really like steel, Bulgarian. Nice strong tab.

I have Koreans (the gray ones) too. I know some guys do not like them, especially the SHK mags, but I use them, even in class and training, no problems.

Have had good luck with the Hungarian 20 rounders. Very handy off benches, e.g.

Only had problems with the Magpul 20 rounders, no metal tab, especially with my Yugo ZPAP. However, the Magpul 30 rounders with the metal tabs are fantastic.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Ordered some of the Bulgy steel mags. Since I have sold off several AKs I think this weekend I am going to drag out the tupperware bin and test fit every mag in my remaining rifles. So anyone peeping in my living room window and watching me cycle mag after mag while watching Red Dawn, don't worry.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I bought a bunch of Bulgarian steel mags years ago, half of them still in wrappers and preservative. The ones I did break out and run with worked very well.

If the mag kind of swings left-to-right, it's not necessarily a problem other than being annoying, a lot of AKs have that characteristic. They should not rock back and forth inline with the gun, though, that will lead to misfeeds. But before start filing and fiddling with the mags, make sure the magazine release widget has correct dimensions. My WASR from way back when let the mags rock forward and back (with doublefeeds resulting) because the tab on the release widget was too short - it kept the mag from falling out, but didn't hold it in place. I ordered a new one, fitted it (took some filing on the tab), and it's run like a champ ever since.

Then I bought a big pile of Bulgarian metal mags and lived happily ever after. :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Best mags I've has were my 1950's Russian steel magazines iirc Tula stamped, then the Bulgaria mags and a toss up between pmags and Croatian mags.

I had to replace replace the 71+ year old Russian mag springs with new Wolff springs. Man what a difference in performance they made.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom