• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    What are you using that works well to get lead out of a barrel when cleaning?
    The lead fouling is not heavy but the over the counter solvent I am using never quite seems to get it all.
    I can still see some remnants of fouling when I am done. Unless I scrub more than I really want to and soak over night.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lewis Lead probably is best. My preferred method is to put 2 or 3 or 10 rounds of copper jacketed ammo down the barrel:D

I have shot jacketed bullets following lead in the past, and after shooting, still had to scrub the barrel to get the lead out. The last time I did this, I noticed that the lead was coming out in slivers, vs. just having a few sparkles and a dirty patch.

A little Kroil, a stainless Gunsmith brush, followed by a good bronze bristle brush usually is all it takes to get the lead broke free, follow with another wet patch, and run a patch through on a tight fitting jag. Most times I only have to make a couple of passes with each brush after letting the Kroil soak for a few min.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have never seen Kroil sold in a store, but here is the link.
    Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

I shoot 100% home cast lead, and whenever I have a leading problem, I usually run a patch with Kroil on it through the barrel, followed by a brush with some "copper" chore boy pad wrapped around it. This will take even the worst leading out with just a couple of passes.

On a side note, jacketed bullets leave a thin layer of copper jacketing in the barrel, making it just rough enough to cause leading in a barrel that otherwise wouldn't, if the jacket residue wasn't there.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    CVA barrel blaster has always worked get for me . It has cleand just about anything I can through at it. Last year I went to get my muzzy out and it was horible, Shot it with barrel blaster and I cam out perfect.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I saw a guy that was selling it at the last 1500, but his prices were pretty steep. Brownells sells it, and I would imagine there would be a few machinist type shops that would have it. I have had the same spray can for 3 years that I was given by a guy I worked with, so really a little goes a long way.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I have never seen Kroil sold in a store, but here is the link.
    Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

I shoot 100% home cast lead, and whenever I have a leading problem, I usually run a patch with Kroil on it through the barrel, followed by a brush with some "copper" chore boy pad wrapped around it. This will take even the worst leading out with just a couple of passes.

On a side note, jacketed bullets leave a thin layer of copper jacketing in the barrel, making it just rough enough to cause leading in a barrel that otherwise wouldn't, if the jacket residue wasn't there.

^^^THIS^^

Wolfman hit the nail on the head! Just be very sure you get all copper pads. I think some are just copper coated.:yesway:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    A cheaper method than all the above is simply to go to your local supermarket and buy a box of "Chore-Boy" copper pan scrubbers. Unravel the pad (looks like copper steel wool) and cut off a bit, wrap it around a nylon or brass bore brush and do about 10 passes down the bore. Works like a charm! Make sure you get the "Chore-Boy" brand, they are pure copper, other imitators are simply copper plated steel wool which is NOT good for your barrel.

Hmmm, looked above and Wolfman already mentioned it...oh well......

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Another vote here for the Chore Boy. Shooting jacketed can press or "iron" the lead into the grooves, giving appearance of removing it, but usually leaving some in the barrel.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Another vote here for the Chore Boy. Shooting jacketed can press or "iron" the lead into the grooves, giving appearance of removing it, but usually leaving some in the barrel.

This is really what I think I am dealing with. There is no heavy leading just can't seem to get a clean rag.

A ton of good advice here.
    thanks everybody

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

This is my experience as well. I've found that the jacketed bullets simply smear the lead all the way down the barrel and instead of having some lead to clean out near the forcing cone, i have lead to clean out ALL the way down the barrel.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Just found the 1/2 pint cans at midway were on sale, cheaper than Kano sells direct. If your planning an order, or looking for an excuse to pick up a few other items, its not a bad price.

Kroil Penetrating Oil Bore Cleaning Solvent 8oz Liquid

Man you are right on the spot. I was just on the Kano website ordering a can and came back here to check which product guys were using and saw this . Thanks rep your way!

Top Bottom