• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    there are so many multitools out there to choose from. each maker has so many models to choose from.

in your opinion what do you think the best multitool is and why?

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I like my SOG Powerlock EOD. It's easy to open with one hand and the pliers are a little beefier than most, and stille have a great fine tip to them. I own two of these and a gerber, and they have all stood the test of repeated abuse. If I want something compact I reach for the Gerber, but if I know I'll a need serious tool for an extended period I reach for the SOG every time.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Leatherman Wave.

I have at least one of nearly everything they make, as well as Vickies and Gerbers and Spydercos. Anything smaller than Wave-ish size I don't find too useful, the knives are tool lightweight and the pliers too small to get hold of much. The bigger ones are more bulky to carry and don't offer a lot in terms of upside. I think I keep a larger Surge in my plane, and maybe one in a tackle box somewhere, but they don't get as much use as the Waves.

The Charge is essentially the same tool at a higher price, with a 154CM plain knife blade versus 420HC on a Wave. I don't care much for 154CM though...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I too am going to have to go with the Leatherman Wave, or the Leatherman Super Tool

The wave has so many good tools for the weight, and the Super Tool just has everything you could need in a multitool.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've carried most of the major brands over the years, but I've come to prefer Leatherman Products. My EDC is the Surge, but I've carried everything from the original Leatherman to the Leatherman "Channel locks". My Guard aviation unit had (probably still has) the Gerber Pocket Tool in their aviation survival vests, but before they were redesigned, I lost my taste for them and always carried a large Leatherman in mine. That SOG PowerLok is in one of my BOBs somewhere, but all the others have Leatherman tools in them.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    My personal carry, Gerber recoil auto plier. I've had it for the better part of a decade and it still works great. Not as feature filled as some I have seen, but it has the essentials.

recoilautoplier.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had a Leatherman Supertool for over 20 years and it has served me well and still looks like new. Will be out of warranty in about 5 more years, lol.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    indyjohn that thing is sweet! How well do you like it?

It does not have "everything" but the AR specifc stuff is fun.

It has a punch that is the same size as a blasting cap for poking the perfect hole in your brick of C4.

Now I just need a source for C4

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have had a Leatherman Supertool for over 20 years and it has served me well and still looks like new. Will be out of warranty in about 5 more years, lol.

I believe if you check you'll find that Leatherman changed their 25 year warranty to a Lifetime warranty. That's a pretty safe bet for them. I've only had to have one Leatherman pocket tool replaced (the first one I bought in 1980 - after I twisted the screwdriver out of the Swiss Army Knife I'd been carrying for years).

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It does not have "everything" but the AR specifc stuff is fun.

It has a punch that is the same size as a blasting cap for poking the perfect hole in your brick of C4.

Now I just need a source for C4

Dont we all:D

That thing is to cool, it would be nice to have out with ya for a long day at the range. Would come in very helpfull for the AR if needed. Im gonna have to look into getting one.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I love my gerber, but it is currently MIA. I tried using it one time to install a ceiling fan. It was a PITA but I did get the job done!!!!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My EDC is made by Victronix (Swiss Army). I've carried it since about 2000. It works great for me at work, I strip and splice alot of wire and the built in wire stripper is great.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I believe if you check you'll find that Leatherman changed their 25 year warranty to a Lifetime warranty. That's a pretty safe bet for them. I've only had to have one Leatherman pocket tool replaced (the first one I bought in 1980 - after I twisted the screwdriver out of the Swiss Army Knife I'd been carrying for years).

Nice!
    I have had the same Swiss Army knife since Cub Scouts (I am 46 now)
    , one of the few things I have actually kept that long. I also still have my dad's Shrade Old Timer and leather case..

Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    i have a gerber and a leatherman wave. i prefer the gerber's action on how it opens, and i like that it doenst pinch my hand when closing the pliers like the leatherman does. but i like the tools on the leatherman.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom