• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    There are so many good ones.

Best accurate value for the money - CZ452.

Best everyday shooter/semi-auto - 10/22

Best for style points - Marlin 39a

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    "Best all around" is a vague term. There are lots of quality guns. I love the CZs (have a 453 Varmint, have to go to an Anschutz to step up), had a Browning SA22 once upon a time and loved it as a carry rifle. Bought a cheap Zavastava from Bradis for my father and it turned out to be an excellent rifle.

On the flip side, while I am a Savage centerfire fan their adult .22s are cheap and crappy and I would never buy one. The Rascal is a good kid starter though.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've put more rounds through my Ruger 10/22 than any other gun I've ever owned, and I've owned it since the mid 70's.

But my favorite .22 is my vintage 1937 Winchester Model 62 pump action.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    +1 to the above, Best all around is a vague term,

whats qualifies as best,
    a basic system with no ability to "modify"
    a system thats easy to modify
    Heavy barrels vs light or med heavy
    single, bolt

just to many factors to determine what makes "best"
    and IMO its what the shooter can do with the rifle, and what shooter's own experience can determine whats best for him.

popular opinions might include

Anschutz
    Izhmash's IZ BIATHLON rifles
    CZ
    SAVAGE
    Browning
    Kimber
    SAKO
    RUGER

Me personally, I chose a newer platform, It rides on a med-heavy, free floated barrel and bedded nylon stock, basic Volquartsen trigger upgrade. thats it. Oh and its blowback system is tuned proper so there is no such thing as jam o matic, etc.
    and it cost below 250$:40oz:

I often shoot next to folks with decked out match rifles, the 1900 series Anschutz's, HEAVILY modded 10/22's
    and I can and do shoot circles around them all day at hundreds le$$ than they have invested into their rifles.

Its all what works for your budget and imagination and then come back and tell us whats best for you!

Here is my 22's performance at 60-75 yds these are some of my trophy shots that hang in the bat cave :rockwoot:

3 shots each

IMAG0370.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

triple stackers
    IMAG0436.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0454.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

2 stack and 1 stray
    IMAG0437.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

This is my tack driver but my favorite to shoot is
    my NYLON 66 and my mossberg lever action "palamino"

one day far far away one of my to buy "best" rifles

1903%20%20big.jpg

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For the money, I believe the CZ is the absolute best you can have. The 452 is smooth and you can get the trigger to under a pound. (I think you can do that with the 455 also. Don't skimp on the scope either spend at least $250 for it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    MY $.02:
    Most accurate: Anschutz M2000 heavy barrel single shot with Williams Globe sights. not a field gun, but on a bench, it is tops.
    Most reliable: Ruger 10/22 with Chief AJ's Scout treatment, jeweled action, trigger job and trigger stop.
    Most useful: CZ 452 with Nikon BDC reticle; Accuracy that is a pleasure to carry around
    Quickest to shoulder: Remington Speedmaster. Love the way this thing mounts and points.
    Most fun: Nylon 66 cut down to 16.5", threaded and suppressed with an aimpoint micro.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    CZ 452s and 455s are nice, usually great fit and finish and they have that..."traditional rifle" look. Lots of great options on versions.

Savage also make a lot of variations on the MKII line and are accurate.

Ruger 10/22, again, LOTS of variations and aftermarket parts and accessories are damn near endless.

Sako, classic Remingtons (541s and the such), Cooper, Anschutz, Browning, all make great 22s as well.

I've handled the Primary Weapon Systems T3 once and though the action was very slick, the straight pull action on some rimfires is very cool

jpittman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    South side Indy
    MY $.02:
    Most accurate: Anschutz M2000 heavy barrel single shot with Williams Globe sights. not a field gun, but on a bench, it is tops.
    Most reliable: Ruger 10/22 with Chief AJ's Scout treatment, jeweled action, trigger job and trigger stop.
    Most useful: CZ 452 with Nikon BDC reticle; Accuracy that is a pleasure to carry around
    Quickest to shoulder: Remington Speedmaster. Love the way this thing mounts and points.
    Most fun: Nylon 66 cut down to 16.5", threaded and suppressed with an aimpoint micro.

sorry but I'm a newbie... can you say more about what the Chief AJ scout treatment is for the 10/22?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really want one of these in bolt action...really want.

They are nice also. I saw one for sale several months ago. I considered buying it as a "brother" to my semi, but decided to save my money. Mine will shoot one holes groups at 400 yards all day long as it is....

Just kidding.

Top Bottom