• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately due to ammo prices I gave up my AR's. I'm looking at either a braced pistol or a carbine in 9mm that I could use at a class and home defense. the only thing is that it should be able to run hollow point ammo. please let me know any other options other than the ones on my list. my budget for the firearm is $2000.00 or less.

JP GMR-15 APC
    Sig MPX 9mm 16 inch
    Century arms AP5

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If you want something in 9mm that is AR based read the info at this site:

For a non-AR style carbine I can recommend both the Ruger PC Carbine and the S&W M&P FPC. I own both and have had no issues with either.

Old school wood and steel in appearance there is the Henry Homesteader:

Here are some pertinent INGO threads in no particular order:

Other options:

Most used PCCs in USPSA:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Don't forget the HI-Point!

Here are some PCC reviews by the Hunting Gear Guy:

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i went with a ruger PC9, originally it was a std std with the aluminum Mlock handguard.
    i added TK upriser chassis, TK trigger, rotary safety, grip, charging handle and comp. 33rd glock mags, Magpul buttstock and a Cmore railway dot.
    it;s a little lighter than stock, but still heavy in comparison to other AR style PCC's for competition

Attachments

• 20230310_114009 (2).jpg
      20230310_114009 (2).jpg
      391.9 KB · Views: 18
    • 20230317_140538.jpg
      20230317_140538.jpg
      336.3 KB · Views: 18

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Kinda depends on what you want, there's so many options. I probably wouldn't buy an MP5 unless you want an MP5 specifically.

CMMG makes a neat delayed blowback that is probably the best of the AR9s. The Sig is probably the most ultramodern and efficiently designed blowback nine. The PSAK9 is excellent if you actually want an AK9. I have a Scorpion that I like but would not mistake for a premium carbine.

There's just so many decent ways to sling 9mm.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I like my CMMG build, but I only have about $700 in it. For what they're going for these days I'd spend a little more and get the MPX. It's a true piston system instead of just delayed blowback, and having the recoil system contained inside the upper receiver instead of out the back in a buffer tube makes it extremely smooth. It's a bit heavier than the CMMG, but that's the only real downside besides the price. Both are within your budget.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The CMMG's are a little expensive, relatively, but I liked my 1st one so much, I bought two more. My first one, an 8" 10mm, then a 5" and 8" in 9mm. The delayed-blowback does make a difference. For inexpensive choices, I also like the Ruger PC carbine.

In the 9mm variations, there's something I find very comforting, having 33 rounds of Federal 124 gr HST's that I know I can dispense quickly and accurately from point blank to intermediate distances.

9mm Goodness.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You can get an original Ruger PC9 cheap now.
    Pros: utterly reliable with all ammo, sturdy, can have rails installed, takes the same mags as the ever-reliable Ruger P-series pistols (also inexpensive)
    Cons: heavy, some find it unattractive

MP5 and clones
    Pros: reliable, cool, lots of aftermarket, The Slap
    Cons: $$$$

Calico
    Pros: out of the future, 100 round mags available
    Cons: unless you luck out, trying to get through all 100 rounds without malfs

Uzi
    Pros: it's an Uzi!, acceptable ergonomics
    Cons: ugly long barrel, folding stock is a problem

Are you sold on 9mm, or would 10mm be in the running?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’ve got a freedom ordnance fx9 and I think it’s a great option (I know you weren’t asking about it), takes Glock mags, the newer ones have a greater amount of recommended ammo (mines had a steady diet of steel case ammo) and if you need it they have amazing customer service, someone drive there and while they were fixing his gun, the owners wife gave them a tour of the building!

Hell I took mine to the factory and they looked over it before I shot it at the state steel challenge match last year!

Now in the interest of clarity I know the production manager, the marketing manager and the owner of the company!…but they don’t treat me any differently than they’d treat anyone!

Now I do have 2 minor complaints!
    1-it’s hard on buffers, I’ve been through 4, the rubber part on the back mushroom over the buffer and need to be replaced
    2-the magazine catch is steel and is hard on the plastic Glock mags, but as cheap as they are, they are pretty much disposable anyway!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’ve got a freedom ordnance fx9 and I think it’s a great option (I know you weren’t asking about it), takes Glock mags, the newer ones have a greater amount of recommended ammo (mines had a steady diet of steel case ammo) and if you need it they have amazing customer service, someone drive there and while they were fixing his gun, the owners wife gave them a tour of the building!

Hell I took mine to the factory and they looked over it before I shot it at the state steel challenge match last year!

Now in the interest of clarity I know the production manager, the marketing manager and the owner of the company!…but they don’t treat me any differently than they’d treat anyone!

Now I do have 2 minor complaints!
    1-it’s hard on buffers, I’ve been through 4, the rubber part on the back mushroom over the buffer and need to be replaced
    2-the magazine catch is steel and is hard on the plastic Glock mags, but as cheap as they are, they are pretty much disposable anyway!
    I have one of these as well. Been happy with it. I haven't shot it much lately due to the fun with brace rules, but definitely plan to get it out again soon. That said, in price range of the OP, think I'd give the MPX a serious look.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    Unfortunately due to ammo prices I gave up my AR's. I'm looking at either a braced pistol or a carbine in 9mm that I could use at a class and home defense. the only thing is that it should be able to run hollow point ammo. please let me know any other options other than the ones on my list. my budget for the firearm is $2000.00 or less.

JP GMR-15 APC
    Sig MPX 9mm 16 inch
    Century arms AP5
    I have to say that I love my Kel-Tec Sub 2000. It is a blast to shoot and I put a little into the MCarbo upgrades. They have the Gen3 Kel-Tec’s out now that are even nicer. It will take the cheap Korean Glock mags like a champ.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpeg
      IMG_0271.jpeg
      536.3 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0274.jpeg
      IMG_0274.jpeg
      502.3 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0273.jpeg
      IMG_0273.jpeg
      306.9 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0272.jpeg
      IMG_0272.jpeg
      259 KB · Views: 7

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have one of these as well. Been happy with it. I haven't shot it much lately due to the fun with brace rules, but definitely plan to get it out again soon. That said, in price range of the OP, think I'd give the MPX a serious look.
    My wife's MPX is one of the most fun guns we own. Take a serious look at one and shoot it if you can.
    I shoot idpa with a couple of guys who own mpx’s and from what I’ve seen, when they run, they run great!…but if any little thing is off, they couldn’t complete a stage without a jam or three!

One guy needed parts for his bolt and neither sig or any of the major sig dealers had them (Osage county guns or top gun supply were out of stock!) and one guy I know walked out of a match and said he wasn’t shooting again till his JP5 showed up (and in the same sentence offered to sell me his sig!), honestly I love sigs, but more than likely will never own a mpx!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took a long time to get on the PCC bandwagon, but eventually I went with the Ruger PC9 in the magpul backpacker stock. That combination was what I was really looking for. Glock mags of any size from a 10rd mag up to a drum makes it versatile for me since I've got a few glock mags laying around. I like the ghost ring sights, but with it being blow back everything gets filthy dirty in a smaller round count. One nice thing is that it's basically an oversized 10-22 so the aftermarket companies like tandemcross or VQ that specialize in 10-22 upgrades also make some upgrades for the PC9's. There's a lot of great options out there though and it's just a matter of what specifically you're looking for. I like my backpacker because it'll fit...... in my backpack.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I shoot idpa with a couple of guys who own mpx’s and from what I’ve seen, when they run, they run great!…but if any little thing is off, they couldn’t complete a stage without a jam or three!

One guy needed parts for his bolt and neither sig or any of the major sig dealers had them (Osage county guns or top gun supply were out of stock!) and one guy I know walked out of a match and said he wasn’t shooting again till his JP5 showed up (and in the same sentence offered to sell me his sig!), honestly I love sigs, but more than likely will never own a mpx!
    I definitely had some concerns when I first was looking at PDW/PCC's about the MPX gas system and then some concerns about the the issues about gen 1 and 2 and parts compat. The MPX was an elegant gun when I saw them at NRAAM back in like 2019. The price was high then but took off after that and the 8" pistol version of the gun disappeared in favor of the SBR back when I was looking at them.

That's what led me to go simple and somewhat local with the freedom ordnance.

That said, do you know what gen guns they were running?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I definitely had some concerns when I first was looking at PDW/PCC's about the MPX gas system and then some concerns about the the issues about gen 1 and 2 and parts compat. The MPX was an elegant gun when I saw them at NRAAM back in like 2019. The price was high then but took off after that and the 8" pistol version of the gun disappeared in favor of the SBR back when I was looking at them.

That's what led me to go simple and somewhat local with the freedom ordnance.

That said, do you know what gen guns they were running?
    I’m not sure, but with both having lots of disposable income I’d assume gen 2 (the one who couldn’t find parts was actually pissed at himself because he’d be having such good luck he’d sold his backpack mpx!) and I do know a 3rd who’s got everything running perfectly!

Top Bottom