• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bucncrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Plainfield
    Im sure this has been done before... Im sure this boils down to personal preference. So what are your opinions on best 9mm pp ammo? I have a 92 fs at home & M&P 9c for carry.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not sure why people ask so much which is better. Don't plan on getting shot anytime soon, but I'm sure it all hurts like a SOB and kills you just the same.

In my carry gun (9mm), I have Gold Dots, same in .357

I have a loaded mag for my M&P with Zombie Max

Hi Power is full of Golden Sabers

Pre Model 10 Smith has Critical Defense

I think it really boils down to brand preference and how you like the bullet shape. Sure, there are certain rounds that certain guns don't like, but I think it's personal preference. I've just accumulated HPs by people giving them to me, never actually bought a box. If I actually had to pay for something, I'd go Winchester PDX but that's just me

For home protection, Federal has the Guard Dog, it's supposed to stop over penetration through walls if you miss because it caves in on itself once it hits something. If you want 2 different rounds for your guns, you might look at those

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My favorite, Winchester ranger. Don't know if they call it that anymore. I bought several boxes many years ago at the 1500.
    i also like spear gold dots. Also the hornady critical defense.

to each their own. Make your shots count and the bad guy won't complain :):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most 124. 124+P and 147 are close in performance and effectiveness. I'd stay away from the 115's unless that's all you have.

There are several tests on youtube by a guy named ScubaOZ and TNoutdoors with pretty detailed ballistic gel tests.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    For 9mm I have been using Hornady Critical Duty or Federal HST. I have been shooting each in standard pressure and when I have shot up most of my carry ammo I will order some Critical Duty +P and see how I like that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    All of the above. Whatever you can get enough of to make sure it works in the gun you're using it in. 100 rounds minimum for me. Personally I use Critical Defense.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    After some testing, and looking at other ballistic testing. I like both Ranger SXT, and Hornady Critical Duty. Any modern ammo made by manufactures such as Speer, Federal, Hornady, etc. will serve you well. Test before you buy a bunch of the same ammo.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    I only buy carry ammo in 50rd boxes to bring the cost per round down, so that narrows the field a lot. Federal HST is my favorite, followed by Ranger T and Golt Dot. In 9mm I'd go with 124gr or 147gr HST. If your pistol has a short barrel and is rated for +p loads, I'd go that route for best performance.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Check with your local PD to see what they carry on duty. If it's good enough for them, it will most likely work for you too.

I personally just switched to Federal LE HST in 124 gr. I'd prefer the 147 gr, but that round is tough to find.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    For my Shield I have Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P Short Barrel and for my M&P9 full size I have Federal HST 124 grain standard pressure (wanted +P but wasn't available when I was buying). 50 round boxes are definitely the way to go for lower cost. sgammo.com gets a lot of 50 rd boxes in sometimes (700-900 boxes per shipment) but they sell out pretty quickly. They often carry 50 round boxes of Gold Dot and HST in various grains and +P/standard pressure. They usually run $28-$30 per box plus $12 shipping. I just got the HSTs from ammunitiondepot.com (out of stock now). They were $29 each plus $15 shipping. I don't know why they charge so much shipping for one or two boxes of ammo.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    My EDC is a Ruger SR9c with Hornady Critical DUTY 135gr+P 9mm. Best of both worlds. It has been a very proven bullet in the Critical Defense line, and now comes heavier and hotter in the Critical Duty line. But all of this means nothing unless you make sure your gun likes it!

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Half and half... 9 MM magazines loaded with alternating JHP (hydroshok) , and Liberty Civil Defense.. The second is only a 65 Grain bullet (copper not lead) but it is traveling at over 2000 fps and a frangible round. The copper disk still penetrates 10-12 " but is less likely to hurt anyone beyond the target, Hopefully ... (just thinking of the Aurora Co Movie shooter....)
    Video comparison Video to HST.

LIBERTY AMMUNITION USM4 - YouTube

Mixed, because there is still not enough actual real world data on it, and there is with JHP's. Ie. Im not ready to risk everything on a new "bullet"... yet... double tap gives them one of each...
    YMMV...

(BTW, isnt the discussion about what ammo you carry right up there with the IWB/OWB concealed/Open argument?:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Top Bottom