• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Home Run Inn. The downtown places are good, but are all very similar in taste and appearance. HRI is a thin-crust pizza that has a very buttery crust that compliments the "old country" style sauce.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Shedd? O.K., you are close to Hyde Park.

Giordano's, Hyde Park, 53rd and Blackstone Avenue. I recommend the spinach (you can't have meat on it, especially on Saturday, oy veh).

You are near a couple of good bookstores that you can hit before dinner.

Check out Powell's on East 57th by the overpass.

After dinner, take her for frozen yogurt at Istria on East 57th or Steve's 77 on 57th and Kimbark.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How about Gino's East. Its the ORIGINAL Chicago style pizza parlor, the actual place where deep dish Chicago style pizza originated. I also think its the best.

Pizzaria UNO is also very very good.

BTW the Shedd Aquarium is on the east end of DOWNTOWN on the east side of Grant Park adjacent to the Field Museum. You are not near Hyde Park, that is 40+ blocks south of where you are located. The Museum of Science & Industry is located in Hyde Park at Lake Shore Drive.

Last edited:

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    lou malnati's and uno's are good but too commercial. try chicago pizza and oven grinders on 2121 n. clark. absolutely amazing there. wait will be like 1.5 - 2hrs on a saturday tho. totally worth the cab ride there

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    lou malnati's and uno's are good but too commercial. try chicago pizza and oven grinders on 2121 n. clark. absolutely amazing there. wait will be like 1.5 - 2hrs on a saturday tho. totally worth the cab ride there
    Excellent choice, used to be one of my favorite hang outs. Pizza is made upside down in a bowl. Its so thick its like nothing else I know of and excellent quality/taste.

He's still close. It's just a quick bus hop to Hyde Park, and civilization.:D
    Ok fine, I won't argue, but having lived there I would not call it close. He's a lot closer to UNO's or Gino's. The Shedd is roughly in line with Roosevelt Rd, about 12th street give or take. Hyde Park is roughly 55th street. So 43 blocks south. The space between is pretty rough, lots of projects and one of the higher crime areas in the city, while transiting L.S.D. down to Hyde Park is safe, the other roads are pretty iffy. And there is NO ****ing way I'd take a bus through the projects down to Hyde Park, but that is just me. I feel very comfortable in most parts of the city, I spend lots of time in Hyde Park area because of the University of Chicago Hospitals and the school (my daughter fences at the UC Lab School). The University has the LARGEST PRIVATE POLICE FORCE IN THE NATION simply because the area around Hyde Park is totally CRAP and very very DANGEROUS.

On the other hand Gino's East is on Superior in the "Near North" area just north of the downtown, its a very safe area, and its very safe to transit the roughly 20 blocks or so north from the Museum Campus up to Superior via any number of major roads (L.S.D., Michigan, etc). Ditto up to Oven Grinders on Clark, that is just a little bit farther and a few blocks west.

Top Bottom