Best place for micro-SD AND an external HD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Find myself in need of a couple of micro-SD cards (one for a phone (16-32GB), one for a GPS unit(4-8GB), and a larger than 1-TB external HD for the home PC.

I don't necessarily "need" an external drive, but I don't know how many free bays I have internally, nor do I know their connection interface. External would just make things so much easier.

I've seen a 4-TB external drive for $160 or so at a retail store (Walmart? Meijer? Something like that).

Where should I go? NewEgg? Amazon?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I ordered a couple of microSD cards from Amazon recently. Reasonable price and delivered SAME DAY for FREE. I didn't even have to leave the house. Can't beat that with a stick.

I've been looking at wireless NAS drives, so not much help there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Depends on where you are. Fry's usually has Western Digital 1+TB externals on sale with their daily ads. You drop by their site and you can sign up for daily deal, get a promo code and get a decent amount off (online or at the store). If you're near Fishers there are great deals to be had. Same for SD cards. I see them listed frequently.

Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

You can also find a lot of deals at the various online stores, like the two you listed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    see a deal on a 5 TB Seagate drive on Amazon for $135 for Prime members. Regular price is $45 higher...

I can try prime free for 30 days... And I can cancel that if I don't like it. $100 a year seems quite steep for us to maintain Prime, however.

I have it in my cart...will see if I pull the trigger.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I would suggest you read a few reviews on Seagate drives. My experience with them has been that they are less than reliable and not half as good as almost any other brand out there. I wouldn't trust my data to Seagate.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Can find some good deals on newegg free shipping on a ton of items and don't have to sign up for a membership and risk the chance of forgetting about it and getting charged

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would suggest you read a few reviews on Seagate drives. My experience with them has been that they are less than reliable and not half as good as almost any other brand out there. I wouldn't trust my data to Seagate.

I got back to work just now just to state this: The reviews on the Seagate stuff seem less than stellar.

I have a no-name 500gb drive that's just about full... And a 1 TB drive that's getting there.

Computer's internal HD shows up as 1.33 TB, so I'd imagine it's 1.5 or so-ish.

We run ATT UVerse at home with only one computer in the house (so far). Two smart phones and the Kindle Fire HD don't really need network access; so I really don't need anything networkable. IF I get some kind of tablet (That I want), having network access to the main picture storage drive MAY come in handy. But all of that crap is darned confusing to me. :D

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got back to work just now just to state this: The reviews on the Seagate stuff seem less than stellar.

I have a no-name 500gb drive that's just about full... And a 1 TB drive that's getting there.

Computer's internal HD shows up as 1.33 TB, so I'd imagine it's 1.5 or so-ish.

We run ATT UVerse at home with only one computer in the house (so far). Two smart phones and the Kindle Fire HD don't really need network access; so I really don't need anything networkable. IF I get some kind of tablet (That I want), having network access to the main picture storage drive MAY come in handy. But all of that crap is darned confusing to me. :D

Networking a HD is pretty simple, if you have a modern router in your setup, (which you don't seem to have, I'd guess). I have an older 1TB drive hooked up to our router for the family to use if they like. It was as simple as plug and play. No hoops or anything. Just plugged the drive into the routers USB plug and away we went. Networking one is pretty straightforward. The router really does all the work.

As far as drives go, you can't go wrong with a Western Digital. I've had numerous of them over the last couple of decades and can't remember having any serious issues with any of them, especially failures.

One thing you might do, is look at the current sale prices at Fry's or Amazon, etc and go have Walmart price match on the same item, (if they have it, which they often do). I got my last router that way and avoided shipping and delays. I just bring up the ad on my phone, show to the sales associate and get rung up with the price match.

Edit: Just pulled up my Fry's Daily Promo Code Ad and they have a Western Digital 4TB on sale with a promo code for only $159 (usually $199, but the promo code gets you $40 off). They'll likely have something similar again next week or over the weekend. Prices are good for online or in store, if you're close to Fishers, IN. If I had gotten my daily promo code I'd PM it to you, since I'm not planning to buy anything today.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If i were going to be near Fishers, I'd certainly stop in! I LOVE to browse at Fry's.

Alas, I'll be home all day while my air conditioning is repaired. Sweet!

Top Bottom