• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Hello all. I’m currently looking to purchase a rest dot for my conceal carry. I carry a Sig p320 m18. I understand that the Romeo 1 pro works with my gun but I feel like spending that much on a red dot is crazy and I can almost buy a complete new gun for that price. A hellcat or a xds or m&p isn’t much more than one of these sights and I feel like spending that much on a sight isn’t justified. But everyone seems to tell me it’s worth it. For my case are there any other red dot sites that you think could work with the M 18 in ones that wouldn’t necessarily break the bank on me. I think if my only option is to pay that much for a Romeo one pro then I think I’d rather just buy another smaller handgun instead. What are your thoughts. I have always wanted a red dot on my conceal carry but I also like guns more than sites so I don’t know if this is a stupid question or not but should I just forget about the red dot sight and buy another gun?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Im a vortex fan so thats what id suggest. Holosun, Trijicon, and Burris make good stuff too from what ive gathered. If you have a romeo one pro footprint youll need an adapter to run pretty much any other red dot from what i understand.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    With Sig optic cuts, you're limited on your options unless you purchase an adapter plate. My suggestion is shooting someone else's p320 with an optic before you decide on carrying with one. I've been shooting MRDS on handguns since 2012/2013 and prefer it, but some people don't. It takes quite some time adjusting and getting proficient. And if it's your carry gun, I personally wouldn't mind spending extra on an optic. Save for it and get something robust with a proven track record against failure.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How does buying another gun instead help? You still don't have a red dot. What are your thoughts on buying a smaller gun? Do you want to carry something else besides the 320?

Why do you want a red dot? For some, like me, I went that route due to my aging eyes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the switch. Obviously, there are other reasons to own a red dot.

Converting to red dot is a big step. First there is the financial aspect of it. Milling slides, buying dots, buying suppressor height sights. Then there is the training part of it. It takes lots of dry and live fire to become proficient with them. And you have to change your thinking. You are no longer focused on a sight but on the target.

I tiptoed into it by buying a lesser quality sight with the same footprint as the RMR which is considered by many to be a very robust sight that you can stake your life on. Then when I realized the dot was for me, I sold the first one at a loss of course and bought the RMR. Had I just gone straight to the RMR, I would have saved money.

Keep in mind that rifle shooters regularly pay more for their optics then what the rifle costs.

It appears to me you have some decisions to be made. You could end up spending money on guns, dots or both that you don't need to. Help us understand your goals better.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I currently have rmr's,sro's, vortex(venom&viper) and a 1/2 dozen or so amazon cheapies(<80$). The cheapest only are reliable if they don't "ride the slide". If you're new to reddots I would strongly consider a holosun- because they use a "halo ring" and a center dot. If you don't see the dot right away chances are you'll see part of the halo arc and be able to quickly get the dot on target. About 350$. "Those who play must pay"

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Right now, Sig's offerings in the MRDS world aren't all that great.

ACC mentioned the new Romeo2. It absolutely looks promising, but it's not even on Sig's website yet as being for sale.

So - where does that leave us? If your life is going to depend upon it, I'd look at Holosun and Trijicon; full stop.

The Holosun 507C to be specific.

Most, if not all, of the Trijicon RMR-series sights will work well. Some people press the SRO into carry-gun useage, but it's apparently a bit more fragile than the RMR is.

Aimpoint ACRO. Quite expensive; low battery life. If you turn it off when not using it; you can greatly extend the battery life (duh). Plus you don't have to remove the optic to change the battery.

I've seen some RMRs selling for like $450 here recently. Yes, that's salty. As said above, you'll also need an adapter plate to go betwixt your slide and the non-Sig-brand MRDS.

If your life depends upon it; don't skimp on it.

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    If you're new to reddots, The Holosun 507C would be a good buy because you can depend your life on it. I've been using mine for a while now and it's the best choice I've made in a while. If you're looking for something dependable, Holosun is the way to go.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The early versions of the Romeo 1 were pretty much trash. I don't know about the Pro version. A buddy has one and it's held up OK. He likes it.

When looking at manufacturers it's critical to think about what you plan to use the gun for. If it's for duty use, home defense or EDC, you want it to be robust and reliable. IMHO that leaves you with Trijicon, Holosun and the Aimpoint ACRO. (ETA: I forgot about the Leupold Delta Point Pro. That one is pretty good too.) If it's just a range gun, competition gun, or something you aren't staking your life on, that opens up a whole other world of less expensive options.

Here is a recent thread with a robust discussion about the considerations and growing pains involved in moving to a red dot.

I'd also highly recommend checking out "Sage Dynamics" on YouTube, especially when considering a specific red dot model. He abuses the heck out of various red dots and the list of what he recommends is short.

I just went down this road also and have only had my red dot for a couple of weeks now (Holosun 507 V2 ACSS Vulcan). It's been an interesting journey to say the least. The red dot itself was one of the least expensive pieces of it. But even after just a few weeks and a few hundred rounds with a red dot, I am a convert. I don't expect to ever go back to irons only on a carry gun. Every defensive gun I buy moving forward will likely be purchased with the idea that it will have an RDS on it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom