• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flameout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2023
    Corydon
    My daughter is due in June with our first grandchild. When we found out it's going to be a boy a couple weeks ago, my first thought was "I need to get him a gun." I told my wife we're living in strange times, so I need to buy something now because I might not be able to in the future. :D

I want something heirloom quality, small enough to start young, yet be able to keep indefinitely. Any opinions on what reasonably priced rifle would be something worth having for years to come?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    DSA FAL.

Just imagine 19 or 20 years from now what an immortal holy mother of based grandpa you'll be when you're all like "you're a man now boy, I got you something" and its a friggin 20 inch FAL.

Tell him "it's just like we used at the Zambezi" and refuse to elaborate further. He's 19, he won't know how old the reference really is.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I did the exact same thing when my wife was pregnant with my son (who is now 33). He was born in Oct 1989. In late 1988 I bought a then NIB Winchester 9422M XTR classic lever action rifle.Blued steel and beautiful walnut. You mention "something worth having for years to come". I paid $450.00 NIB in late 88.Winchester only made them for about 1 maybe 2 years. That rifle is now bringing $1300 used with no box. My son to this day treasures that rifle more than anything, not so much for its value, but more so for its sentimental value to him. He babies it when he shoots it. I would say it meets the " something worth having for years to come" requirement. Just my two cents.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Any. Whatever you gift a child if raised right they are going to cherish it for a lifetime.

That being said if you’re worried about the type you may not be able to purchase … I think the answer is easy.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Any. Whatever you gift a child if raised right they are going to cherish it for a lifetime.

That being said if you’re worried about the type you may not be able to purchase … I think the answer is easy.
    This is true. My son likes good hunting rifles and shotguns and takes perfect care of them but one of his treasures is an old beat up 410 single shot that was his grandmothers.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My daughter is due in June with our first grandchild. When we found out it's going to be a boy a couple weeks ago, my first thought was "I need to get him a gun." I told my wife we're living in strange times, so I need to buy something now because I might not be able to in the future. :D

I want something heirloom quality, small enough to start young, yet be able to keep indefinitely. Any opinions on what reasonably priced rifle would be something worth having for years to come?
    A quality AR-15 in 5.56x45mm.
    Light recoil and if you buy a quality rifle and plenty of magazines he'll be set for life.

I also like the Henry lever-action rifle idea.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Get him an engraved 1873 Colt.
    Heirloom: ✔️
    Easy to shoot: ✔️
    Just plain cool: ✔️
    Coolest Grandfather ever: ✔️

Opps, just noticed that you wanted rifle suggestions, so how about a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30 Gov'nt 06.
    That would tick the boxes also.

Better yet, why not both!

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009

Honestly best gun would be a gun thats close to you.. those are most sentimental.

Top Bottom