• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I kinda went through the same checklist when my wife was pregnant with our first son. I was thinking a good 22, but the I figured I had plenty of 22’s around and he would shoot my stuff to start with. I ended up with an 1894 Marlin in 357. It has many positive attributes.

It can be shot with light 38’s for 2s like recoil and noise.

The carbine holds 10 rounds of 357 magnum, nothing to sneeze at for home defense.

At the time, it was newly deer rifle legal in IN.

Useful for CAS if he ever gets into that sport.

The lever action should be legal in any state he might move to in the future, even commie states.

And, of course, it’s a quality rifle that will serve him well for his whole life.

I picked it up before he was born, and then every year for his birthday and Christmas I would buy him a box of factory ammo and write the date in the end flap. Also picked up thinks like a receiver sight, sling, Lee hand loader, etc to go along with it. Now when we go shoot, we usually take mostly handloads but sometimes take a box of ammo from ‘his’ stockpile. It’s f7n to see how long it has been there waiting for him when we open it up.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you do go modern sporting, consider all the accessories you may want in 20 years. When I was getting into guns it was during the 1994 crime bill and threaded barrels, 10 round magazines, featureless rifles, etc, were all in effect but everything else was grandfathered. I was sure I was going to end up paying out the nose for what I really wanted. Would have been nice to have had a stack of 30 round GI mags or 15 round 9mm Gl**ck mags that was gifted.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Great Question!
    I suggest:
    Ruger 10-22 (He can Customize when he gets Older)
    Colt AR (He might Not be able to get one when he gets Older)
    One of Your Rifles (My absolute Favorite long gun is Dad's JC Higgins Model 51 in 270 Win & I will pass it on to My Daughter)

Zeb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2020
    Portland
    I bought my grandson a Henry Frontier .22 with the octagonal barrel. He will have to wait a couple more years to get it according to his momma.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I always tell my kids that my gun collection is not for me or for them but for their grandchildren’s grandchildren. Maybe throw One in my casket for use in the afterlife but since I am getting cremated just spread the ashe’s shooting an old foldgers coffee can like they did in a movie about bowling.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    For my 60th birthday, my wife bought me a Cricket. I asked for one. I had really never handled one but I wanted to play with one. I figured they were pretty cheap. How good can a 22 rifle be for $120. Well, I'm here to report that they are not cheaply built. Other than the sites which are OK once adjusted, but are just not a quality design the rifle is awesome. Small, accurate, well functioning.

I am planning on purchasing one for my grandson, buying the "Cricketinny" rail and putting a 4X32 scope on it. Sure, an AR or a AK or something similar is really cool, but, a really useful tool is much more of an advantage than something cool. Don't get me wrong, I love ARs and AKs and all the other guns you can imagine, I'm not dogging on any of you for suggesting that, but, I want to get my grandson something he will use, possibly to put food on the table after, years after I am gone.

Sorry, I am just too practical. Besides, the over 150 pistols, shotguns and rifles I have will get picked over by all my children. But, an engraved Cricket that puts food on the table, that will be remembered. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Another vote for the Winchester 9422 . I bought one for my 1st son when he was born in 1984 .
    It is just as smooth today as it was when new . He does cherish it , but has definitely enjoyed using it .
    Many 1000`s of rounds through it ........
    They were built to last ...........and I doubt they will ever make it to the " Scary List " .

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    For my 60th birthday, my wife bought me a Cricket. I asked for one. I had really never handled one but I wanted to play with one. I figured they were pretty cheap. How good can a 22 rifle be for $120. Well, I'm here to report that they are not cheaply built. Other than the sites which are OK once adjusted, but are just not a quality design the rifle is awesome. Small, accurate, well functioning.

I am planning on purchasing one for my grandson, buying the "Cricketinny" rail and putting a 4X32 scope on it. Sure, an AR or a AK or something similar is really cool, but, a really useful tool is much more of an advantage than something cool. Don't get me wrong, I love ARs and AKs and all the other guns you can imagine, I'm not dogging on any of you for suggesting that, but, I want to get my grandson something he will use, possibly to put food on the table after, years after I am gone.

Sorry, I am just too practical. Besides, the over 150 pistols, shotguns and rifles I have will get picked over by all my children. But, an engraved Cricket that puts food on the table, that will be remembered. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.
    I use a crickett to dispatch animals but I would never pick it over a 10/22 for food on the table. Definitely not a bad choice for a child and awesome with engraving but don’t know that it is more practical. maybe an engraved ar lol best of both world.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you want to get him an adult sized rifle he can grow into, you might consider getting an extra stock/ butt stock you can cut down to fit him while he's small. You can add butt pads as he grows and put the original stock on when he's big enough.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The 10/22, and add on a Blackhawk Axiom stock for the early years. I didnt want to buy a Cricket for the really short window of use. So I found the Axiom really cuts down on the front end weight. Once they are big enough to handle it, put the factory wood stock back on.
    I like this idea, there are tons of accessories and add ons for 10/22s. Or you can get one of their hardwood sticks and have it engraved.

Or get a complete AR lower with a dedicated 22 upper. Then you can get a 5.56 or whatever caliber upper layer and swap them out.

Top Bottom