• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I would absolutely buy a stripped lower and a 10 pack of 30rd mags per grandchild you have or hope to have in the future. That package can be had now for a $60 lower, and $100 for a 10 pack of mags. There's a pretty good chance by the time the child is old enough to be able to use them all that stuff won't be so easy to come by. The way things are heading you may be handing the kid the best shot they've got at a fighting chance for freedom.

Then, buy the kid(s) some kind of 22 or bb gun they can learn on.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It kinda depends on what is meant by "heirloom quality". The 10/22 is common as popcorn and the Henry rifles are getting there more and more common each year and AR-15's are about as common as common gets. That doesn't fit for me but I don't know if it fits for the OP.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is true. My son likes good hunting rifles and shotguns and takes perfect care of them but one of his treasures is an old beat up 410 single shot that was his grandmothers.
    I saw this firsthand this past week. it doesnt have to be fancy to be cherished. Taking a minute to talk to LittleTanker at the viewing, We started talking guns and he absolutely lit up about his single shot shotgun. I could tell by his description that it wasnt much, but he was sooo proud of it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    ABSOLUTELY! I mean, a new build needs at least 200 rounds through it to make sure it functions properly. :ar15:

3500rds minimum, and make sure you try 500rds of the following bullet weights. 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, 70gr, 75gr, 77gr and 80gr bullets.

That way you'll know what it likes best.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    It's going to be filled with the buyers name, not the grandson, so I don't see an issue. Especially with a lever action .22 or similar.
    We're also talking about what comes down the road. I don't trust the Gov to have my best interest at heart. When i decided to get something for the kids, I went with 80%'s with dob's engraved for serial #

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Legitimate question if finances allow why not two? Say a 22lr and some flavor 556.
    Agreed or maybe a .22 to stay at grandpas and an ar for each grandchild if you’re worried about legislation. And let’s not limit this discussion to grandsons lol

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you are thinking about an AR15, I would consider getting in on the INGO lower group buy. You could have the other side engraved with their name. Or anything else you want to engrave.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My first recommendation is a Henry 22. Wouldn't go really fancy as then it is too nice to use. I would recommend testing out whatever you get. Would hate to think waiting xx years to present it and then find out was made wrong, and now no parts available

Rick

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    This was only mentioned once or twice, but an heirloom is more of a gun that grandpa had and used, maybe took them hunting or target shooting with. It has a more personal meaning. Not a new 10/22, AR, or plastic pistol. I have two guns that were made the year my wife and I were born, 1956. One is a K-38 Target Masterpiece and the other a Winchester 52C. I have a few older guns than that too. Those are all great for passing down to grandkids and they are truely special firearms.

Not that you cannot get them a 10/22, AR, or plastic pistol some other time, but I do not think they say grandpa's old gun quite like grandpa's old gun does.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Just start him a Roth IRA or a IUL.
    But if it a gun you want...

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Get him a nice AR 15 if you're worried about not being able to find one in the future.

Get him a nice Henry levergun for an heirloom. 22 is hard to beat, but .357 meets in the middle between a practical hunting rifle and a fun shooting rifle. My first ever was a Marlin 1894c in 357. Still have it, and it's still a great shooter.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Think long term and choose something with a common caliber that your crystal ball tells you will be available 20-30 plus years from now.

Get a locking storage box that has some style to it. This will allow the rifle to be safely stored while the kid grows up and add to the uniqueness of the gift.

While a lever gun with a wood and leather case would be cool for someone of my vintage I am not sure what a teenager of the future would find cool. Maybe an AR and Pelican case would be a cooler heirloom.

rifle case.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My daughter is due in June with our first grandchild. When we found out it's going to be a boy a couple weeks ago, my first thought was "I need to get him a gun." I told my wife we're living in strange times, so I need to buy something now because I might not be able to in the future. :D

I want something heirloom quality, small enough to start young, yet be able to keep indefinitely. Any opinions on what reasonably priced rifle would be something worth having for years to come?

CZ 452 Scout. I bought a bunch of them, liked it so much that I have one.

Also, purchased for Science!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If you are not married to the rifle idea, how about a nice shotgun...

maybe a Purdey...
    31013_f_copy.-_BLOCK_3jpg_16686b9b-eba0-4f00-b697-855952cae185.jpg

or a nice Holland & Holland...
    img-the-royal-side-by-side-game-gun-1fcd6.jpg

Top Bottom