• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The BDL versions used to be substantially higher $ than the birch models.
    I paid $99 for a brand new walnut A model at a mall years ago (vert slotted forend, not smooth).

Plain older models (used) in smooth walnut used to be cheap, their stocks not set up for scope usage and the aluminum receivers could like like crap after minor oops.
    They were everywhere, not all that long ago............for $150.
    New checkered models twice that then.
    Big Green did some with a pebble grain metal finish, with nice walnut............and that didn't go over well, could score them cheaper.

I scored a pre 68 Rem 572 at Lengel's not long before they closed, minty. It had the low comb stock and I hated that, was pretty decent except for that. Triggers not the best but usable, I had a 4X leupold compact on it and would shoot CB's and pick off empty shotgun shells with boring regularity, even if they tipped over, at 25 yards. Well under "minute of cat skull" LOL.

Nowadays new, they are all ridiculously priced IMHO (the pebble and the better looking normal version).

The 552 can be annoying to shoot, tends to spit a little hot on your supporting arm now and then.
    The 572 pump...............holds a lot of CB shorts, and runs flawlessly ;)

I never did run Hyper V stuff in my or my dad's rigs (552 and 572's). He last yr was doing some instructional stuff and the donor ammo (Rem bulk) blew up one of his old 572 and 552's. Extractor, new stock pc, and maybe another part or two, they both back up and running. Pretty simple rigs to tear down and fix.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I should have paid better attention in childhood. My dad has an 87B that we used to have contests disassembling, but I didn't notice it could handle all three. I stand corrected.

Top Bottom