• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I've shot all types of guns ever since I was a boy. I have even hunted game. My experience with shotguns is limited to using them with slugs. I have recently been introduced to skeet and love it. Any recommendations for a good gun to start with?

Others have already given great advice, but I will give my thoughts. If you want to stay in your price range, check out the Beretta A300. The gun is very versatile and if you enjoy skeet, you will probably also enjoy trap and sporting clays. As long as the A300 fits you, it would serve you well in all clay sports. I didn't see anyone mention the A300, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I own one and it has served me well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Coming from a guy that used to shoot local competition trap with a Beretta semi-auto, I long for an o/u. There is 1 very distinct advantage to an O/U that really works well for a bird-hunter, and that's the fact that you get to choose 2 different choke tubes and select which one fires first. This gives you greater odds of hitting real, live birds that flush different every time, or for hitting clays that are varied in their presentation (sporting clays would be the extreme example of this).

Oh, someday I'll own one... prices have been on a downward trend and my personal "spending money" has been on an upward trend so at some point the 2 will intersect!

LongGun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Columbus
    I recently picked up a Stoeger Sporting model for a little less than $600. Stoeger M3000 Sporting Delivers Value, Reliability and Performance to Sport Shooters | Stoeger Industries
    30" barrel, all the controls that they have on their 3gun model, a fiber optic bead, and 3 choke tubes (Skeet1, Skeet2, and IC). I went this route as i wanted to be able to shoot skeet/trap one day, and then just swap to a shorter barrel, slap on my tube extension and go shoot 3gun the next day. I love the gun, the only recommendation I have is to read the directions on breaking it in so that it will cycle the lighter loads better, as that is the only issue I have ran into

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok I will go ahead and say it.....because if it true for handguns it is true for shotguns. Buy what fits you and feels good then spend the rest of the money on practice, practice, practice.

I used to shoot 4-5 rounds every weekend..that's when you could shoot at Fort Ben for $2.50 a round and reload shells for $1.95 a box....DAMN I FEEL OLD!!

But anyway....I ran a simple 870 Express 12 gauge and with practice I could hold my own against the $3,000.00 gun guys. I would usually only miss one or two birds a round but that was after sending +-10K shells through the 870 (talk about butter smooth action now).

Ohhhh and a word of advise....make sure to go on a SLOW day at the range and spend an entire round or two just on center station if no one else is there. Center station was always the hardest for me until an old timer pulled me into the center station, after a round and he worked with me for a good half hour on center station until I was dusting them.....that station is all about timing and nothing to do with aiming...FYI

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have shot a lot of clays since the 1950's, never in pro competition, mostly in back yards with a spring thrower. However, I could never hit with a double barrel shotgun, seemed like I always shot ahead of the target. So I would advise you to do what some has already suggested and that is to rent or borrow some shotguns and see what "feels good" and is accurate for you. A good used gun is usually a good buy, I recently purchased a used Browning semi auto A500R for $400 at a gun show, son and I went to a friends house in the country and threw some clays (single throws). As I remember I hit 23 or 25 out of the first 25 thrown. I just love the gun. I had used a Mossburg pump for many years - great low priced shotgun, but it is not as good for doubles as a semi-auto (or double barrel if you are so inclined). As I recall about 15 years ago the state champion used a Mossburg!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I used to shoot 4-5 rounds every weekend..that's when you could shoot at Fort Ben for $2.50 a round and reload shells for $1.95 a box....DAMN I FEEL OLD!!

When I first was learning to shoot a shotgun we went to Ft. Ben to shoot trap almost every Sunday afternoon. My brother and I would reload shells for dad, me & him once or twice a week to "help pay for it" Kinda miss those Sunday afternoon range trips

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    GREAT to see you back again "Murse"....

Most any shotgun that fits you well should be good for Skeet...

FWIW..A good friend of mine, down the road from me was State Champ, (May have also got National??) using a pretty much stock Remington 1100..

Really all you NEED is something that you can run two rounds through quick+accurate...Bill.

Top Bottom