• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thinking of getting into the trap/skeet game. Just want some opinions on what the best shotgun for this would be? Something in 12ga. Something that can be used for hunting. Looking at over/under, but if anyone knows of something better, say it. Looking for something under 1600. I know the options are endless, but if there are any experienced in sporting clays, please let me know.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    browning and bereatta are in your price range. A trap or skeet over and under are not the best in the field. with 3-4 lbs difference in weight and 4 or more inchs barrel length. a clays gun is not ideal for real birds.

i would suggest a semi auto. new semi auto's are light, have very little to no recoil(like ar15) and very reliable( shot 3k through my sx3 sporting no problems.)

the wincheters sx3, browning maxus, fhn slp, (all same gun) are good options.
    a beter option is the benelli cordoba. it is the same the same gun as the supersport which have won sporting clay comps. and can be shot and carried all day with out a problem.

or a benelli vinci

another good option is a bereta 391. many versions very reliable.has won medals and killed birds all around the world. you can buy an exrtra barrel so you can have a short barrel for hunting and a long barrel for clay shooting.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Been looking at Benelli, but also been looking at versa max? Just don't want to have to send the gun to Italy for service related issues? The Franchi over/unders seem nice. I use a pump 12 ga for skeet right now, so?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Been looking at Benelli, but also been looking at versa max? Just don't want to have to send the gun to Italy for service related issues? The Franchi over/unders seem nice. I use a pump 12 ga for skeet right now, so?

nearly every foreign company has service center on the east coast.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Trap and skeet?(definetly) upland birds(maybe)

Go to Indiana Gun Club Indiana Gun Club :: Indianapolis IN, Guns They have a large selection of used O/Us within your price range. For clay games fit of the gun is very important. I don't know if this is still the case, but Indiana Gun Club use to let you try out a used gun before buying it.

Also MCFG shoots Trap every Thursday Night. You are welcome to come out and look at the guns people are using ... some if not most will let you shoot theirs; just bring ammo. MCFG Indy Range - Trap Shooting

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Go to Indiana Gun Club Indiana Gun Club :: Indianapolis IN, Guns They have a large selection of used O/Us within your price range. For clay games fit of the gun is very important. I don't know if this is still the case, but Indiana Gun Club use to let you try out a used gun before buying it.

Also MCFG shoots Trap every Thursday Night. You are welcome to come out and look at the guns people are using ... some if not most will let you shoot theirs; just bring ammo. MCFG Indy Range - Trap Shooting

Thanks, I've been to Indiana Gun Club just to window shop and am a member of MCF & G. Just looking for some more info. Thanks.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you get interested in a Browning Maxus Sporting Clays, give me a holler. I have a new one that I got for myself that I'm probably never going to get out of the house. New in box.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The most important thing in shotgunning is fit. No matter how uber cool the shotgun looks or sounds it may not be the right one for you though it may be for someone else. When you lift it up into position does it instantly go into shooting position FOR YOU with your cheek on the stock and point where you are looking?

I've used several for trap, occasional sporting clays and pheasants. The one that worked best FOR ME is the Browning Citori Lightening. I absolutely love that shotgun. Of course I haven't tried any of dem dare super fancy, expensive versions but man they felt good in the store.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    Benelli montefeltro, Winchester model 12. I shoot 10,000 clay a year and for the money a good model 12 is hard to beat with a couple upgrades. I also own a ludic my father shoots perazzi and I notice the model 12s a benelli's coming out more than the expensive ones.

Top Bottom