Best SHTF Vehicle (consumer-grade, within reason)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No Rhino, it's better then awesome. You will realize that in the next year or so after revisiting that video. I have even come to love the damn music. Next year I might even take a serious look at one. My wife says look into distributorship.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No Rhino, it's better then awesome. You will realize that in the next year or so after revisiting that video. I have even come to love the damn music. Next year I might even take a serious look at one. My wife says look into distributorship.

Is there a limit to the load it will pull? Obviously it would depend on multiple factors, like how much traction it can vs. how much friction/resistance the load has to moving.

I like how it can pull you and your load on a wheeled cart when it's dry as well as through the snow on a simple sled.

How long do the batteries last on a charge?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How long do the batteries last on a charge?
    Longer than my butt does in waist deep snow, and that was before I got hurt last year. Now even more so.

Along these lines there are the track sets for UTV's and walk behind tractors like the BCS, both which I may buy but this thing is cool too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Longer than my butt does in waist deep snow, and that was before I got hurt last year. Now even more so.

Along these lines there are the track sets for UTV's and walk behind tractors like the BCS, both which I may buy but this thing is cool too.

Here he is. I wonder if he does not have the $$ to take it into production.

Home | MTT136 Yvon Martel

Sweet Mother of Pearl, that thing is cool!

The li'l guy will tow 400 kg which weighs about 880 lbs. The two bigger models will pull . . . more.

Hmmm . . . an extra set of batteries in the sled with a solar charger to charge them as you go during the day . . .

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Interesting on the Audi.

In my experience with AWD/4WD, I do agree it's often the driver when it comes down to marginal situations.

I'm curious what the mechanical types think of AWD vs 4WD. I had a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali 4WD. When I bought another in 2007, only AWD was available. The AWD is nicer for general driving, as when roads are just a bit wet or slippery.

But I swear that the true 4WD was better in dicey situations. I don't really understand the mechanical difference well enough to know if I'm right, or just imagining it.

Most of the sytems on the road are a lot more disappointing in true performance than the car manufacturers would like you to believe. I have had 2 audis in AWD, 2 BMWs in AWD, an Infiniti in AWD, a Mercedes in AWD, and 2 4runners in AWD/ with 4WD option. They all seem to use different systems, but the main take away from my research was that the AWD systems can more readily deliver power to "all" of the wheels, whereas they cannot deliver it all to one like 4wd. Advantages/disadvantages to both. The It seems like almost all of the "4WD" vehicles on the road today have locking differentials or whatever, but only on the rear wheels, while the front retains limited slip. SO, If you only have traction on the front wheels and one side has no traction, you can still be stuck. Some very expensive vehicles have the ability to lock both front axles and the rear/front axle by the driver. Look at the Mercedes G, which is the only one I remember. For only 135g you can drive one too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'd prefer something that wasn't going to give away my location half a mile away.
    Yeah, right. My dogs pick up on a Prius a mile out. Diesel is more routine then something that runs quite. The dogs will alert on any vehicle but if silent running is an issue, you are probably on the verge of being dead anyway.

Torque & Fuel are my top two features.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Sweet Mother of Pearl, that thing is cool!

The li'l guy will tow 400 kg which weighs about 880 lbs. The two bigger models will pull . . . more.

Hmmm . . . an extra set of batteries in the sled with a solar charger to charge them as you go during the day . . .
    Did you see the onboard generator option.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Most of the sytems on the road are a lot more disappointing in true performance than the car manufacturers would like you to believe. I have had 2 audis in AWD, 2 BMWs in AWD, an Infiniti in AWD, a Mercedes in AWD, and 2 4runners in AWD/ with 4WD option. They all seem to use different systems, but the main take away from my research was that the AWD systems can more readily deliver power to "all" of the wheels, whereas they cannot deliver it all to one like 4wd. Advantages/disadvantages to both. The It seems like almost all of the "4WD" vehicles on the road today have locking differentials or whatever, but only on the rear wheels, while the front retains limited slip. SO, If you only have traction on the front wheels and one side has no traction, you can still be stuck. Some very expensive vehicles have the ability to lock both front axles and the rear/front axle by the driver. Look at the Mercedes G, which is the only one I remember. For only 135g you can drive one too.

Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero. Parts are everywhere and pretty much interchangeable for about 20 years.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So an on board generator would let a guy sharpen knives while driving, would it not?

-Nate

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My vote:

0mmharl928301.jpg

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'll break away and say a Honda CR-V. The new ones get 36 mpg with full time AWD. If anything happens to it, parts are cheap. If S already HTF, you can prob find parts from another Honda within walking distance. The CR-V also got 2015 SUV of the year. Not compact or midsized but overall SUV of the year.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom