• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Just curious if people have opinions. I am wanting to start carrying my XDs with one in the pipe. However, before I do I want to practice holstering/upholstering with snap caps. Any opinions on good ones would be helpful. I have seen some videos and read some articles, but I wanted to get the opinion of just good ole INGOers. Thanks much. (Yes I did do a search on this topic)

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I would say you'd be fine practicing completely empty
    but it seems you think the weight differential will be crucial to your training?
    otherwise, until you get your snap caps (any brand at Gander, walmart, LGS will do)
    just go ahead and get lots of practice and familiarity with holstering, unholstering completely unloaded...

EDIT: to say, yes, yes do carry "one in the pipe"

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like the ones that have the spring in the center. I don't really have a good reason why I just think they look cooler. Also supposed to be easier on the firing pin. I use these for dry fire practice.

Tipton Snap Cap Polymer

I will politely hold my comments on not carrying a ready pistol.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I understand the idea of carrying one in the pipe and appreciate the holding of comments.

I have looked at those Tipton and have been leaning toward those.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Make sure you have a GOOD quality holster. Not the $11 Uncle Mikes soft nylon one. I prefer the kydex/leather hybrid for IWB carry. They stay open when the gun is out which makes it so much easier when reholstering. You still have to be careful when you reholster to keep clothing out of the trigger Guard.

You have the right idea about practicing. I did 50 draws a day for a week straight. Start off really slow and deliberate. It might take you 30 seconds to draw. Over time the speed will come.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a Crossbreed mini-tuck holster. I like the way it fits and feels. Thanks 50 times a day sounds about right for me. I have to admit I am a little nervous, even though I am aware I have two safety mechanisms on the XDs.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have read the a zoom ones have a tendency to leave bits of aluminum in the gun. Has anyone experienced this?
    The A-Zoom caps are anodized red so they won't chip etc. I haven't found any shavings in my guns and even so, it is easy to wipe it away. I think they're the better value period. The Tipton ones are fragile and can be easily broken. The A-Zoom are milled out of a solid piece of Aluminum. They might have soe shavings left on them from the prcess is where the bits come from so wipe them off before using.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The only reason to use Snap-Caps in a modern defensive pistol is to practice malfunction clearance. There is absolutely no need for them to practice drawing and re-holstering.

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    Make sure you have a GOOD quality holster. Not the $11 Uncle Mikes soft nylon one. I prefer the kydex/leather hybrid for IWB carry. They stay open when the gun is out which makes it so much easier when reholstering. You still have to be careful when you reholster to keep clothing out of the trigger Guard.

You have the right idea about practicing. I did 50 draws a day for a week straight. Start off really slow and deliberate. It might take you 30 seconds to draw. Over time the speed will come.

As well as a good quality gun belt.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I like the A-Zoom's, but primarily because they've been easiest to locate. Bought a few 'here', a few 'there', now I have enough to fully load the chamber, magazine, and a spare mag. Helps provide a little more 'realistic' weight when practicing, for me. YMMV, of course.

Depending on the firearm, may be needed, may not. But it never 'hurts' to use them. JMO. So, always use 'em.

Top Bottom